Regular lime VS. Key Lime | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Regular lime VS. Key Lime

Last post Jun 16, 2007 12:19 PM by missyjj_ETN . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Regular lime VS. Key Lime
    I am planning to make DH a Key Lime Pie for Fathers Day. I was wondering which taste better regular lime or key lime? I want to make it to be special since it is Fathers Day. Regular limes are cheaper and easier to find. a I know regular limes usually have about 1 1/2 - 2 Tablespoons in them. Does anyone know how much juice is in a key lime? They look so tiny. I got the recipe from the Food Network.

Graham Cracker Crust
    11 cup plus 2 1/2 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs
    5 tablespoons melted unsalted butter 1/3 cup sugar
    False
  • RE: Regular lime VS. Key Lime
    Key lime recipe cont:
    Filling 3 egg yolks
    Grated zest of 2 limes (about 1 1/2 teaspoons)
    1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
    2/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (if you get Key limes, use them: other wise use regular limes)
    Topping
    1 cup heavy or whipping cream, chilled
    3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar

For the graham cracker crust: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch pie pan. Break up the graham crackers: place in a food processor and process to crumbs. (If you don't have a food processor, place the crackers in a large plastic bag: seal and then crush the crackers with a rolling pin.) Add the melted butter and sugar and pulse or stir until combined. Press the mixture into the bottom and sides of the pan, forming a neat border around the edge. Bake the crust until set and golden, 8 minutes. Set aside on a wire rack. Leave the oven on.
    For the filling: Meanwhile, in a electric mixer with the wire whisk attachment, beat the egg yolks and lime zest at a high speed until very fluffy, about 5 minutes. Gradually add the condensed milk and continue to beat until thick, 3 or 4 minutes longer. Lower the mixer speed and slowly add the lime juice, mixing just until combined, no longer. Pour mixture into the pie crust. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the filling has set. Cool on a wire rack, then refrigerate. Freeze for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
    For the topping: Whip the cream and the confectioners' sugar until nearly stiff. Cut the pie in wedges and serve very cold, topping each wedge with a large dollop of whipped cream.
    False
    Hi, I just made one with key limes. It called for 1/4 cup I believe and it took all 8 key limes I bought. I've asked the same question regarding reg vs key, and I think they are milder, but not positive about that. I have used reg ones and thought it came out good.
    Jill
    False
    The "Key Lime" pies sold in our supermarkets are regular limes. I bought key limes to make a pie at home and my hubby said it tastes better than he store bought. But that could be due to using Splenda, my pie crust, homemade sweetened condensed milk and the key limes. Personally I didn't notice much difference except my way was diabetically acceptable and it tasted darned good. I really don't think you would notice the difference and it is less work to use regular limes.

Marlene
    False
    Not that you asked, but this is the recipe I've used and dh & I really like it.

Posted by: purplechef_fl Posted on: 9/14/2005 8:24:51 AM
    #R6391885

Key Lime Pie
    8 oz cream cheese-softened
    1 can sweetened condensed milk
    1/4 c Key lime juice
    1 t vanilla
    1-ready graham pie crust

Mix all 1st 4 ingred together. Pour into pie shell and refrigerate for 2 hours. Top with cool-whip before serving.

False
    Key limes are tarter than regular (Persian) limes, so the taste will be different, but maybe only a purist would care. I found this information on About.com

Lime Measures and Equivalents
    • 1 pound Persian limes = 6 to 8 medium limes
    • 1 pound Persian limes = 1/2 to 2/3 cup juice
    • 1 medium Persian lime = 1 to 3 tablespoons juice
    • 1 medium Persian lime = 1-1/2 teaspoons zest
    • 1 cup fresh lime juice = 1 cup bottled lime juice
    • Key lime juice substitute = 1/2 Persian lime juice and 1/2 lemon juice
    • 1 pound Key limes = 12 to 16 Key limes
    • 1 pound Key limes = 1/2 to 2/3 cup Key lime juice
    • 1 medium Key lime = 2 to 3 teaspoons Key lime juice

In general, for Key lime equivalents, estimate 2 to 3 times the equivalents for Persian limes.

http://homecooking.about.com/od/fruit/a/limeequivalents.htm

Have a Happy Father's Day!!
    False
    Thank you I always get such good advice here. i might do the regular limes instead. At the grocery unless the price changed again it was 3 limes for a dollar or a tiny bag of key lime for almost 4 dollars I don't think there was enough for a whole pie but I am printing little sisters chart and taking it with me. I might have to try purplechefs pie instead though. sonds yummy. thank you again eveyone who responded.
    False
    I make mine like id_az except that I use 2/3 cup lime juice. I've used both regular and key limes and there's very little difference.
    Betty
    False