Brisket substitute? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Brisket substitute?

Last post Jun 18, 2007 3:47 PM by nanapeg . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Brisket substitute?
    I have always used beef brisket for my pot roast (perfected) but now I just can't get it - the supermarkets say it is only 'in' at christmas / hannukah. I think they use it all as corned beef instead. And it is pretty expensive so perhaps not many people buy it.

So I would like to hear what cut of meat is the 'next best' one closest to brisket for pot roast?

(brisket being lean, breaks into nice 'shreds')

Penny
    False
  • RE: Brisket substitute?
    Penny, I used a London Broil one time when I couldn't find a good brisket. It was cut about the same thickness as a brisket and was very lean. I marinated it in the liquid smoke, etc. and cooked it just like the brisket - low and slow. It was really delicious and shredded nicely. I have found out though, that not all butchers cut it the same.
    Carolyn
    False

I use boneless chuck roasts or sirloin tip.

False
    I have made a kind of potroast in foil with mushroom soup and dry onion soup using the boneless chuck - I had forgotten that - it was in my 'new bride' days! Thanks.
    False
    Carolyn, I think that cut here(Canada) is called Flank Steak. I'm going to try it just the way you said. I think it might work.. good idea.
    Penny
    False
    Penny--watch out because flank sreak can be awfully thin. Our London Broil is either round steak or shoulder and usually cut 1 1/2 to 2 in thick,.
    False
    Rump for sure - next best - chuck - I'm a pot roast fanatic! - Peg
    False