Anyone here have any advice/ideas/recipes for running a Concession Stand at a softball park?? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Anyone here have any advice/ideas/recipes for running a Concession Stand at a softball park??

Last post Aug 23, 2010 1:03 PM by zakons . 33 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 3 (34 items) 123
  • RE: Anyone here have any advice/ideas/recipes for running a Concession Stand at a softball park??
    Our youth baseball league runs a very succesfull stand..it is staffed by volunteers so things are kept simple but we make a profit every year..we do hot dogs,hamburgers
    sm.bags of various chips, water, canned soda & ice tea, ice pops, popcycles,ice cream bars, sm cand items...be carefull of too many prepared food items...keep it simple as you will need more staff & increase your expenses.
    Maybe some pre made subs would be an option /the hotdogs & burgers, how about some slads for the lite eaters?
    False
  • RE: Anyone here have any advice/ideas/recipes for running a Concession Stand at a softball park??
    I am a paid employee and so are the other 2 people that I have hired. The only thing is unless it is large games we only have 1 of us working at a time.

We have 5 diamonds and when it is bambinoes or baberuth we need 2 of us.

We also serve bags of chips, microwave popcorn (our concession is to small to hold a big machine) .

We have powdered sugar donuts, honey buns, cinn. rolls, danishes for people who are there in the morning. I buy all that stuff at SAMS .
    False
    Dawn...

Like some of the others, I have many years of ballpark concession stands under my belt...and starting all over again with the grandkids.

I agree...keep it simple. I think the key to a successful concession business is the quality rather than the quantity of food on the menu. If the food is good, the people will stay there and eat. Have premade sandwiches that can be safely kept on refrigeration. Make a good hot dog with good chili sauce. The nachos and cheese combo usually sells well. If you make a good chili for the hot dogs, you can even add it to your nachos and cheese...with an increase in price of course.

We did not do hamburgers but sold BBQ sandwiches. A local restaurant provided it to us at cost. We kept it hot in crockpots. We sometimes had pizza...provided by the local pizza parlor. Another thing that sold well was fried chicken drumsticks and hot wings. These were made and delivered by KFC and kept hot in crockpot type containers. We sold popsicles and pushups which were bought in bulk. We even tried snowcones one time but the profit on these were not worth the trouble. We sometimes sold watermelon slices during the summer. These were donated by local farmers. This was fun but messy. Popcorn and hot peanuts in the shell were popular...plenty of chips, soft drinks, bottled water, and kid's candy.

Good Luck...

Fratz
    False
    Sloppy Joe's on cornbread is more nutritious than on white flour buns and is also more filing.
    If you have a good fridge sandwiches prepared ahead should be a good seller: ham and heese, chicken salad, egg salad, tuna salad, all served with some lettuce.
    False
    Hey, dessert1st!! :) Waving hello to you from WV. Funnel cake information?? YES PLEASE!!!!!!!!!! Keep in mind I have NEVER made a funnel cake!! (But am not afraid to learn and have all winter to practice up! LOL)

Thank you!
    Dawn

False
    All,
    I am getting some great ideas and some "duh!!! should have thought of that" moments here! So grateful for all your shared experiences. I knew I could count on that!
    Dawn
    False
    You can buy precooked frozen hamburgers and heat in a roaster in aujus.
    Dill pickle on a stick

Breakfast--Prebaked biscuts and sausage gravy from Sam's

Do you have to pass food inspection, if so things made at home and brought to park might not pass.
    False
    The most favorite item at my grandaughters games is the portable taco's.
    You get the small frito bags and crush them, open them and put a spoon of sloppy joes into them and then top them with cheese, stick a fork in them and sell them. They are great. you can even add lettuce and sour cream if they want it.
    False
    Last year my daughter's high school class made money for prom from the concession stand during Football. We had:
    nachos w/ cheese
    super nachos w/ taco meat , cheese
    hot dogs
    popcorn

For the playoffs I made Italian Beef.

We made tons of money off the pop, water and hot chocolate...summeryou might try lemonade or tea.
    False
    Our stand sometimes sells baked potatoes. They wrap them in foil, and cook them en masse in a big Nesco roaster. Add a dollop of butter & yummy!
    False
    Bumping for Dessert1st to add her funnel cake information.

TIA!
    Dawn
    False
    Depends on how hot it is there. But night games I would do frito pies. WE did them for horse shows and made a mint. Make homemade chili and cut the tops of small bags of frito's put chili in the bag and cover with cheese an onion if desired. We charged 1.50-2.00 if I remember. You can get the chips delivered from you chip man in the area. cheaper that way. We also did hot dogs, nachos and I made cookies put 4 to a bag for 2.00 sold great. Laura
    False
    Laura
    Our concession stand served outstanding fried chicken and fries...wonderful. Also, served delicious Boudain Balls...it's a local favorite cz we live in cajun country...huge hit. Also, served breakfast tacos for those early games and tournaments. They were wrapped in tinfoil and kept warm in a big Nesco. Be sure to supply disposable gloves for food handlers, and designate one or two people to handle the money...can't stand to get food from the hands that are taking the money too.
    False
    Seems like you have alot of great ideas for food. About running the stand... Here at our fields, We have a sign up sheet for differnt teams parents to work the stands in differnt shifts. It seems to work welll. They`ve been doing this for years. Even though my kids are done with townball I stiil go help when can. Good luck Dawn ..... I know it will work out fine. Always Karen in PA
    False
  • your funnel cakes

hi

i read your info on the concession stand

we would like to add new things to ours in Eastland Texas

for Band Boosters

what is your secret to funnel cakes?

Thanks!

Carrie

cgsim@cebridge.net

if you will email me at my personal email I wont ever check this site.

False