Help! Suggestions of what to take to sick friend (complicated) | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Help! Suggestions of what to take to sick friend (complicated)

Last post Jul 20, 2007 9:11 PM by NCRobin . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • Help! Suggestions of what to take to sick friend (complicated)
    A friend of ours is in hospice care and has a short time left. Friends are preparing meals. My turn is Monday but I have now been scheduled
    for medical tests that same morning. I will be taking food about nine in order to fit it all in. What can I take where the husband is not able to cook or heat up? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    False
  • RE: Help! Suggestions of what to take to sick friend (complicated)
    The first thing that came to my mind was a loaf of fresh bread (made or bought) and some egg salad. A side of sliced cucumbers and tomatoes. It is plenty. I have learned to simplify things as I have gotten older - and this would be a perfect meal for people who are in this situation. Some desert if you want, but we aren't desert people.
    Janetplanet
    False
    A chicken salad in hollowed out tomatoes. He can just take them right out of the fridge.

A cold chicken dinner with potato or mac salad is always good.

Cold pasta salads with chicken or ham in them, or other veggies, if meat is not welcome.

Be careful with fruit because the acids can really upset a tummy.

What are her flavors? What can she tolerate?
    False
    I would suggest a grilled chicken Caesar salad. Grill chicken the night before and slice into strips. You can just put the salad together in the morning (without the dressing, of course) and seal in an airtight container. You can then bring everything over in separate containers, salad, dressing, croutons and sliced chicken. Whenever he's ready he can just assemble the salad and eat. It's easy, light and nothing to heat up.

You might also want to include a simple dessert that you can make ahead. Maybe an angel food cake or Jello salad. Even some fresh fruit cut up with some store bought pound cake. Keep it simple and light.

It's so nice of you to do this for your friends. Hope all is well with your medical tests. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Kim
    False
    Sub sandwiches, deviled eggs, roast beef for sandwiches, cold crab salad, fried chicken (good cold), pasta salads with cubes of meat in it.
    chefly
    False
    Something we enjoy when for picnics is pita bread cut in half and filled with a salad mix, veggies (especially sliced cucumbers!) and thin apple slices. You can add meat or cheese if you would like. We drizzle with salad dressing. They can be a little messy until you get the hang of eating them. DON'T OVERFILL!

Joyce
    False
    I think for desserts rice pudding, custard and tapioca would be good choies. They are easy to digest and they are already called comfort food.

Karen N.J.

I have been doing chemo treatments on and off since 1999. I currently take chemo daily in pill form.
    False
    I don't really have any other ideas to add, but just wanted to let you know how sorry I am that a friend is that sick! So sweet of you to help take care of her!

Amy
    False

Someone on the Board just mentioned that she had friend who craved watermelon--take a ontainer of cut up watermelon.

Several years ago, a acquantance's daughter was dying of leukemia and all she wanted was watermelon.

Barb
    False
    Can you do something in a crock pot?
    False
    Fried chicken with potatoe salad?
    False
    I agree with grilled chicken ceaser salad and a side of fresh fruit for dessert...
    False
    You can hide the bruises on your body, but what about the damage to your soul?
    Love the idea of watermelon for dessert. Have decided to take a pea salad, a green salad, ham, dinner rolls and another milder veggie (no firm decision on what, possibly carrots). Thank all of you for your help. You got my brain moving. I was diagnosed with uterine cancer a few days ago and am now having C-scans and other things to see how far it's advanced. That seems to have slowed my thinking down. Again, thank you.
    False
    Since you will be taking around 9 how about a coffee cake or muffins? I also like the idea of subs and some potato or macaroni salad for later.

Sorry about your friend.

Sue
    False
    I just read about your diagnosis. I am sorry to read that. I hope all your tests come back with good news. Please keep us posted and know you are in my prayers.

Sue
    False