fresh green beans | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

fresh green beans

Last post Jul 23, 2007 6:59 PM by RedviperOH . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • fresh green beans
    I have some fresh green beans (about 3 lbs.) and my DD is cutting them up now. But I havn't cooked them in so long I forgot how long they take, I want to season with bacon drippings (to make them all the more healthier) and I'll add chicken bouilon cubes to season with but I don't know how much.
    False
    Amy
  • RE: fresh green beans
    while we are at it, how do I make fried zucchini??
    False
    Amy
    when i fry zuchinni i just use flour, or flour/cormeal mixture, fry in oil or butter and salt when done. for the greenbeans icook mine on med all day...just keep adding water so they won't boil dry. cook until they are tender to bite and then i add my seasonings after that. hope this helps!
    False

my blog! www.jillshomecooking.blogspot.com

Been a big fan of TOH since I was a young teenager!!! I was sooooo excited to be asked to become a Volunteer Field Editor in June 2013!!

I just bought some fresh green beans today also! I don't remember how to fix them either.

Anyone know how to fix them the way they do at Chinese buffets? My DGS and I love them. They're sort of sweet and very crunchy.

Thanks!

As far as the zucchini, I just slice it, dip in egg, dredge in flour (that has been salted and peppered), and fry in a little oil so they get crispy. I sometimes deep fry them.

Sandy
    False
    thanks for letting me know ladies, I will start them now, I called my step mom, she wasn't home but my dad said she doesn't cook them long, but I remember she does every thing on high because she had a stroke and can't stand up long, and maybe they like them a little on the crunch side...... we like ours tender.

I am making meat loaf too! I think DH will be surprized.
    False
    Amy
    If you like "old fashioned" green beans and not the raw ones they serve in restaurants now you will want to cook them several hours. Salt to taste and if desired you can add a little chopped onion. Sometimes I will cook mine with a slice or 2 of bacon. Good luck.

Debbie
    False
    also if you have a pressure cooker you can do them that way and it would be faster, add some red potatos with it !!! yummy!
    False

my blog! www.jillshomecooking.blogspot.com

Been a big fan of TOH since I was a young teenager!!! I was sooooo excited to be asked to become a Volunteer Field Editor in June 2013!!

We like ours a little bit cruchy... I cut them up and put them in a pan with enough water to just cover the bottom layer of beans. Bring the water to a boil and boil for 2 minutes and turn off heat and let sit on burner for another 5 minutes. Drain water and add LOTS of butter and sprinkle heavily with black pepper and garlic. YUM!!

I think adding chicken cubes would add a nice flavor and bacon would be great too!
    False
    I have never heard of cooking green beans that long.....I just cook them about 5-8 minutes or until they are just crunch tender. Drain and add lots of butter and a healthy dose of dried basil. At least that's the sway we like them.

I usually leave the cover off and they retain their nice gree color.

Barb
    False
    I like to do this for a change...
    Preheat oven to 450. Put beans on a pan and drizzle some oil (olive is good) and s&p on them. Pop them in the oven for about 5 min.
    False
    Mine are the diet version. I fry bacon, four slices or so, after it browns, I pull it from the skillet. Add diced onion, sometimes I use green onion. Saute until tender. If there isn't a lot of grease (no kidding here), I add a little butter.

Then I slowly add to green beans which have been cooked. Mix well.

For boiling beans--- for 1 1/2 lbs I cook for several hours covered. I add chicken boullion (several cubes), or if you have canned broth, three cans, plus water to top it off.

Drain and add to onion mixture.

If I'm short on time, I will doctor up canned green beans with the bacon and onion.

False

Green Beans Almondine

Bring about an inch of water to a boil. Add about a tsp of salt. This keeps the beans a bright green color. Add your beans. Cover the pot, and turn the heat to med and let them cook for about 10 min. Drain well, and put in your serving dish. Keep warm. Add a couple of tsp of butter to the pan and about 3-4 tbsp of sliced almonds. Stir till they are browned, the butter will brown too. Mix with the beans and serve. (for a change you can substitute sliced sauteed fresh mushrooms for the almonds)
    False

LOL, Debbie, we like the old fashioned Southern green beans, too.

I put 3 or 4 strips of bacon in a large pot and start it cooking, then a finely chopped onion and cook until softened. Add trimmed fresh beans then water with 2-3 chicken bouillon cubes or chicken broth and a little water (enough to just cover beans) then reduce heat, cover and simmer for several hours. Yum Yum!

It's hard to find the wide, flat pole green beans these days around here. Just about all I ever see in the stores now are the skinny, round bush beans.
    False
    Ladies, thanks for the help, my beans and meatloaf are done!!! they taste so good.
    False
    Amy
    I can't stand green beans if they are crunchy, do not like the raw taste. I break mine cover with water, chop of some bacon (ham is good also) and cook for several hours. Once they boil set the heat so they kind of simmer while they cook. I think the more they are cooked the better they are and the leftovers warm up well. Sometimes I add some chopped onion too and cook in them.
    False