Blanching corn on the cob question | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Blanching corn on the cob question

Last post Aug 15, 2009 1:23 PM by cooknchic . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Blanching corn on the cob question
    I have rec'd a couple dozen ears of corn from a friend. We will not be able to use it all up while it is fresh. I was going to freeze some for later but have no idea what to do other than blanch it and seal the cobs with the foodsaver. I don't have loads of time to cut the kernals off the cob so I would like to just do them whole. Since I have never done this I would love some input on the method of blanching and the amount of time so that I don't screw it up.
    Any advice?

Gail
    False
  • RE: Blanching corn on the cob question
    Found this on the Web.

Step 4 - Blanch the corn.

All fruits and vegetables contain enzymes that, over time, break down the destroy nutrients and change the color, flavor, and texture of food during frozen storage. Corn requires a brief heat treatment, called blanching, in boiling water or steam, to destroy the enzymes before freezing. Blanching times generally vary from one to 10 minutes, depending on the vegetable. the duration should be just long enough to stop the action of the enzymes.
    Begin counting the blanching time as soon as you place the corn in the boiling water. Cover the kettle and boil at a high temperature for the required length of time. You may use the same blanching water several times (up to 5). Be sure to add more hot water from the tap from time to time to keep the water level at the required height.
    Blanching time varies depending on the type of frozen corn you are making: cut-whole kernel, cream style or corn-on-the-cob:
    Blanching times, for freezing the corn depend upon the size of the corn cobs, since the heat must penetrate:
    Blanching times for corn-on-the-cob:

small ears ( 1¼ inches or less in diameter) 7 minutes,
    medium ears (1¼ to 1½ inches in diameter) 9 minutes, and
    large ears (over 1½ inches in diameter) 11 minutes. []Note: UC Davis research has shown that super sweet varieties typically require a shorter blanching time (2 minutes less) than other sweet corn varieties.

[]

False
    Here is more info about using the
    Press & Seal Machine.

Questions and Answers
    Q. I followed your freezing corn on the cob directions, but, even after drying it with paper towels, there is still enough water coming out of the corn that my vacuum food sealer can't seal the bag. Any ideas ?
    A. Yup! Just pop the corn into the freeze in an ordinary ziploc bag for about an hour. That will freeze and water droplets that are left on the corn. Then take it out, put it in your vacuum bag and vacuum seal it!
    Q. I froze corn on the cob as per your instructions but when I unthawed and cooked some it was mushy. How do I cook it? Not sure if I should cook it frozen or thaw first and how long to cook or heat.
    A. That's an inherent problem with frozen corn-on-the-cob. But, it is better with some varieties than others. Silver Queen and many SE varieties have soft kernels. The super-sweets tend to have much firmer kernels that hold up better when frozen! Be careful not over cook the corn when blanching, too! Stick to the recommended times, and get the corn into ice water right afterwards.
    Then when you reheat it, just put it into boiling water straight from the freezer. You'll want to cook it for the least time it takes to get it hot, which is normally about 5 minutes. Any overcooking, either before freezing or when you are ready to eat it, will make it more mushy.

False
    BTW this was on the website
    Pick your own . org

Type it in without any spaces.
    False
    Just put them in your saver bags w/husks & freeze...wonderful~!
    False
    Cittie,
    Are you saying that you don't blanch yours? And it comes out fine after the freezing?
    Tell me more!!!

Gail
    False
    Thats exactly what I'm telling you, can't get any easier or tastier in the middle of winter~!
    False
    Cittie,
    you are a lifesaver!!!!
    I love easy and this sure fits the bill.
    Thanks loads!

Gail
    False
    You'll have to report back w/a review when there is all the white stuff all over the ground~! :) :)

Enjoy~
    False
  • Re: RE: Blanching corn on the cob question

tell me how you did your corn without blanching first

False

tell me how you freeze corn off the cob without blanching.Please give recipe

False

Paulette ~ All I do is wrap the corn in the husk in foil and put in a freezer bag.  You could also just seal in a food saver bag if you have a food saver.  Then, I just put it in the oven in the foil at 350 for about 35-45 minutes ~ I rotate it once or twice.  It's great at Thanksgiving!

False