If your corned beef doesn't come with a seasoning packet.... | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

If your corned beef doesn't come with a seasoning packet....

Last post Mar 09, 2004 9:14 AM by Sparty . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • If your corned beef doesn't come with a seasoning packet....
    How can you duplicate one? Does anyone know the "secret" ingretients?

I cheaped out and bought the $1.99 per lb. beef instead of the $3.99/lb. one that comes with the seasoning packet. Now I'm regretting it.
    False
  • RE: If your corned beef doesn't come with a seasoning packet....
    I was curious about this also. I saved a recipe last year that called for corned beef with packet. I may get brave enough to make it!!
    False
    I've never used the packet!! I discard it. Imagine that! My grandmother ran a restaurant years ago and they always had a HUGE Irish festival in March, she would cook 300lbs of Corned Beef, and never any other spice aside from black pepper. She would actually bake the corned beefs in a deep baking dish with water added to it, covered, for a few hours on a low heat. The customers always raved about how wonderful it tasted. Just thought I'd share that.

Kali :o)
    False
    It must be a mystery!

I usually make mine in the crock pot with beer. I saw some crock pot recipes on her using apple juice. I might try that this year. I really wish I knew what was in thoes packets though! I think corriander is one of the things, but I'm not too sure.
    False
    When i cooked one I added a chopped onion, black pepper and sprinkled in some seasoning salt and let it boil away like the recipe called for. It was awesome.
    False
    I think what is in the seasoning packet is similar to pickling spices-mustard seed, all spice, bay leaf, garlic, cracked pepper. Hope this helps. If I dont have the seasoning packet this is what I add to the water. I don't put it in a bag, just sprinkle in the water. It settles to the bottom.
    False
    I use whole peppercorns (mine are Williams-Sonoma, 5-flavor) and a bay leaf. I toss in whole garlic cloves with the sliced onions on the bottom. DH likes to "fish" them out...ugh!! :)
    False