Pressure Canning Salsa | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Pressure Canning Salsa

Last post Sep 04, 2007 3:50 PM by moly . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Pressure Canning Salsa
    I have some salsa all ready to cook and put into jars. How long do you pressure can yours? Also do you add all that extra vinegar/lemon juice when you process using the canner?
    False
  • RE: Pressure Canning Salsa
    I don't pressure cook mine but do a hot water bath for 10 minutes per pt. Never had any trouble with that process
    False
    Wish I could help you. I canned mine with a water bath at 15 minutes for pint jars. I don't like a lot of vinegar in mine so I cut that in half.
    False
    Click for Little Rock, Arkansas Forecast
    I pressure can mine for 10 min for qt and 5 min for pints at 5#
    Jill
    False
    Here's a recipe I got off the Garden Web site. Everyone that has made it says it's really good. I haven't tried it yet. The notes on the bottom are hers.

ANNIE’S SALSA
    8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained
    2 ½ cups chopped onion
    1 ½ cups chopped green pepper
    3 – 5 chopped jalapenos
    6 cloves minced garlic
    2 tsp cumin
    2 tsp pepper
    1/8 cup canning salt
    ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1/3 cup sugar
    1/3 cup vinegar
    16 oz. tomato sauce
    16 oz tomato paste
    Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil, boil 10 minutes. Pour into hot jars, process at 10 lbs of pressure for 30 minutes for pints.
    Makes 6 pints
    I cut the vinegar way, way down and pressure cook mine. If you want to HWB it you may, but the vinegar will have to be increased to one cup. You can also sub lemon juice or lime juice for the vinegar for a different flavor (although I tried taking out the cider vinegar altogether and that wasn't right either).

False
    Do not tamper with the vinegar in a recipe for canning! The reason for the acid (vinegar 5%, or lemon juice) is because the tomoatoes we have now do not have enough acid in them. We have to have it to prevent botulism or other bacterial spoilage. I pressure can mine at 10# of pressure for 10 minutes. Hope this helps. MrsCrickets
    False
    Here is my recipe. It is excellent, and the only home made salsa that my husband has ever liked. If it simmers the length of time stated in the recipe, you don't have lots of liquid to worry about. Linda

SALSA

12 cups chopped tomatoes
    3 cups chopped red peppers (sweet)
    3 cups chopped green peppers
    3 cups chopped hot red peppers
    1 cup finely chopped jalapeños
    1 whole bud garlic, chopped (5 or 6 cloves are plenty)
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 cup white vinegar
    2 tbsp salt
    5 small cans tomato paste (or 2 large cans plus one blob!)

Simmer all together in a large pot for about 3 hours. I canned mine but it freezes well too. 15 minutes boiling water bath for pints. Makes about 9 pints.

Linda notes**I use 9 cups of bell peppers. Any colour or combination of colours. I still use 1 cup of jalapeño’s. If you want less heat, remove the seeds and membranes of the peppers. (use the latex gloves from the drugstore, and DON’T rub your eyes afterwards)
    False
    Thank you all for your help. Now if the elves would just come in and can it for me.
    False