What do you use to season canned corn? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What do you use to season canned corn?

Last post Feb 28, 2014 10:19 AM by debjg_ny . 20 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 12
  • What do you use to season canned corn?
    We are having a dinner at church and I am to fix canned corn for approx. 75 people. The amount is not a problem, but it never seems to taste great. What do you add to give it a better taste?

I would appreciate any suggestions you might have.
    Thanks,
    Joann
    False
  • RE: What do you use to season canned corn?
    a dibble dab of sugar, some pepper and some butter.
    False
    Normally I just add butter, salt and pepper to taste. I always add a bit of sugar as well. It's an old trick that my mom and grandma always did and I can tell the difference in my veggies when I don't add the sugar. Sugar seems to bring out the flavor of corn.

Here's a recipe for a different kind of corn that I tried the other night and we all loved it. It might not be what you're looking for right now but it is really good. You can make it as spicey (or not) as you like.

Corn with a kick (Quick Cooking)

1/4 cup chopped onion
    1/4 cup chopped green pepper
    1 tablespoon butter
    2 cups whole kernel corn
    1/4 cup diced tomato
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    Cayenne pepper to taste

In a large saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Stir in the corn, tomato, salt, pepper and cayenne. Cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.

Yield: 4 servings.
    False
    Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. "John Wooden"
    Oh, let me add that there is a difference in the brands of canned corn...at least in my opinion. I like the green giant brand, especially the vacuumed packed one. I think it's the crispers. Frozen corn is really good too...just tastes fresher.
    False
    Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. "John Wooden"
    I use butter and a bit of seasoned salt.
    False
    Stimpy Click for Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin Forecast
    I use Cream Cheese. 8 0z. per 3 can of cream corn or whole kernel corn, Let the whole kernel corn boil almost all the liquid away,cut in the cream cheese and stir until hot again, to Cream corn do not add water, when corn is hot cut the cream cheese in and stir until melted, add salt and pepper , Serve,
    False
    SOUTHWESTERN CORN
    1/2 tsp. cumin seed
    2 tsp. butter
    1/4 tsp. chili powder
    1 green onion, minced
    1 and 1/2 cups whole kernel corn
    salt and pepper
    Toast cumin seeds in skillet over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add butter and onion, saute one minute. Add corn, cook on low 5 minutes. Stir in chili posder, salt and pepper. Serves 2
    False
    I use some butter and a spice mixture named Spike (similar to Mrs. Dash) Depo!!!
    False
    CORN MAQUE CHOUX
    1 to 4 and 1/2 cups whole kernel corn
    1 onion, chopped
    1 tsp. sugar
    Cayenne pepper
    2 tbl. oil
    1/2 bell pepper, chopped
    Salt and pepper
    1 fresh tomato or 2 canned ones, peeled, chopped
    Heat oil, add onion and bell pepper. saute 5 minutes. Add corn, tomato, sugar, salt, pepper and cayenne. Cook stirring 3 minutes, cover, cook stirring often 15 minutes or til corn is tender. If needed cook uncovered 2 to 3 minutes to evaporate excess liquid.
    False
    Butter, salt and pepper, here.

You can melt in some cream cheese for extra richness.
    False

Rebecca

I usually add salt, pepper, sugar, and butter...but sometimes, I add a small amount of beef boullion just to change the taste a bit.

Fratz
    False
    Thank you for all the replies. I'll just stick with the basic ingredients for this church dinner. I definitely want to try some of the others with the added ingredients for my family.

You all are the greatest!
    False
    Dillweed .... gives it a nice fresh taste .. you can use fresh or dried. If ever at a Pampered Chef party ... get there dill mix ... it's great with canned corn
    False
    I usually make corn pudding. But, if you're trying to keep it simple for a lot of people, i'd add some onion powder and maybe some sesoned salt.
    False
    Krogers canned shoepeg corn is the best unless you have fresh that you've frozen. A little sugar, salt and pepper and lots of butter. For that amount of corn, at least two sticks. If you are using canned corn, rinse it off with cold water in a collander. Put it in a crock pot and add some water. (not a lot). Add butter, sugar, salt and pepper and cook on low for a few hours. I've done this on holidays and it taste like fresh corn.
    False
    Click for Red House, West Virginia Forecast Bailey