ISO recipe for grape jelly made with splenda | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO recipe for grape jelly made with splenda

Last post Sep 14, 2007 4:29 PM by gran56 . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • ISO recipe for grape jelly made with splenda
    Need a recipe for grape jelly using splenda. Have alot of fresh muscadines and would like to make fresh jelly with them but my husband is a diabetic. TIA, Jane (Gran56)
    False
  • RE: ISO recipe for grape jelly made with splenda
    Have you tried www.diabetes.org?? That site has diabetic recipes and bulletin boards too with recipes. Or type in jelly with Splenda in your search and see what turns up. Just a thought. :)

Doris
    False
    You can try this site:

http://www.pickyourown.org/jamnosugar.htm

They say you can use Splenda provided you use sugar free pectin, but that the it's not as tasty as regular, the color is darker and maybe less thick. They also give additional hints, like adding some lime or lemon juice, etc., to overcome the problems. Hope you find something you can use there. There are lots and lots of info for canning, jams and jellies and all sorts of stuff at the site.
    False
    I make sugar-free grape jelly. My husband (who does not eat sugar-free) thinks it is a little tart, but it suits me fine. I have a couple of recipes. The first one makes 1 pt. which I prefer. It seems like the S/F jellies and jams do not keep as well on the shelf. You could always put this is half pint jars and water bath can, though. Here it is:

Grape Jam

2 c. grape juice
    1 box S/F pectin
    9 pkt. Splenda
    Combine juice and pectin in 2 qt. pan. Bring to rolling boil and boil 1 min. Add Splenda and boil 1 min. Pour into pint jar. May add 1 tsp. butter while cooking to keep it from foaming.
    False
    This is my favorite recipe, but I don't know if you have access to xylitol. I used to buy it at the health food store, now I special order it at a local Amish store. I also buy all of my pectin in bulk from them.

Best Grape Jam

2 c. grape juice (can use frozen)1/2 tsp. butter
    1/3 c. S/F pectin (2 boxes)
    1/2 c. xylitol
    8 pkt. Splenda
    Place juice, butter, and pectin in a 2 qt. saucepan. Stir well and allow to sit 5-10 min. Bring to a rolling boil and boil 1 min. Remove from heat. Whisk in sweeteners. Skim foam, pour into jars and seal. This will make a pint plus about 1/4 cup.
    False
    Bumping for gran56
    False
    Gran56, just making sure you saw these. We don't have muscadines around here. Are those a type of grape, I'm guessing? All I have a concord grapes, although we didn't have any this year due to a late freeze.
    Jenita
    False
    bumping to try
    False
    Thank you for the recipes, been gone to the doctor today and just got on.Jane(Gran56)
    False