ISO: Anyone know how to make Fried Zucchini like Italian Oven? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO: Anyone know how to make Fried Zucchini like Italian Oven?

Last post Sep 18, 2007 6:56 PM by dessert1st . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • ISO: Anyone know how to make Fried Zucchini like Italian Oven?
    Before zucchini season is completely over, does anyone have a copy cat recipe for Italian Oven's Fried Zucchini? I have found horseradish sauce that will work for dipping, but can't figure out how they do that zucchini ?!?!?!

Thanks.

Also, what about the Roasted Red Pepper Soup - it's to die for too!
    False
  • RE: ISO: Anyone know how to make Fried Zucchini like Italian Oven?
    I'll give you a bump since we don't have Italian Ovens in this area so I can't give any suggestions. I was watching one of the shows on FoodTV and they cut up their veggies to bite size and then added a couple of well stirred eggs. Mixing well until well coated. Then they took fresh grated parm and mixed it with the coated veggies then fried them in oil. They used a skillet with about a 1/4 inch of oil and frying small amounts of veggies at a time.
    False
    I've never been to an Italian Oven but John's Baked Fried Zucchini is delicious. It is the only way I make it now. Here is his recipe.

Sue

Posted by: M_Wolverine Posted on: 3/29/2006 11:42:57 AM
    #R7353557
    Baked Zucchini

INGREDIENTS:
    2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
    1/2 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
    1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
    2 egg whites

DIRECTIONS:
    Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.
    In one small bowl, stir together the bread crumbs, pepper and Parmesan cheese. Place the egg whites in a separate bowl. Dip zucchini slices into the egg whites, then coat the breadcrumb mixture. Place on a greased baking sheet.
    Bake for 5 minutes in the preheated oven, then turn over and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes, until browned and crispy

~I had small zucchini maybe an inch thick so I cut them in half then quartered the halves (so I got 8 "fingers" per zucchini)~
    False
    Thanks for the responses, I will try them both. I still hope to find out Italian Oven's recipe.... anyone?
    False
    OK, I tried John's recipe because I was also putting a white pizza in the oven... it was excellent. The only addition that I made was to add 1/2 cup crushed saltines to the bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. My husband was impressed. For those of you who do not have an Italian Oven near by, they slice the zucchini lengthwise into "planks", not crosswise into round slices. Breading & cooking them goes so much quicker this way. I also spreyed the tops of the zucchini with the cooking spray to help give a fried texture to the top.
    False