tender cube steak | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

tender cube steak

Last post Sep 25, 2007 6:40 AM by Alliea . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • tender cube steak
    I just returned from a visit with my family in N.C. My sister prepared cubed steak which was so tender! She put a little water in the bottom of a crockpot, put a floured, seasoned and browned cube steak in, then foil, and layering with a cube steak and foil. She cooked it 3-4 hours and was it good!
    False
  • RE: tender cube steak
    Another way to tenderize cube steak or any meat, let it soak in buttermilk. I got this tip from Gaudrey.

Kathy
    False

OK, gonna try this, I love cube steak but swiss steak was thse only way I could figure to get it tender enough for my dad. I'll be trying both these and let ya know how i do. Thanks to you both!
    False
    I make this quite often. It is fork tender, fall apart in your mouth good!

Cube Steaks with Gravy

1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    6 beef cube steaks (1-1/2 pounds)
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 large onion, sliced and separated into rings
    3 cups water, divided
    1 envelope brown gravy mix
    1 envelope mushroom gravy mix
    1 envelope onion gravy mix
    Hot mashed potatoes or cooked noodles

Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add steaks, a few at a time, and shake until completely coated. In a skillet, cook steaks in oil until lightly browned on each side. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Add the onion and 2 cups water. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until meat is tender.

In a bowl, whisk together gravy mixes with remaining water. Add to slow cooker; cook 30 minutes longer. Serve over mashed potatoes or noodles.

Serves 6
    False
    Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. "John Wooden"

False
    Here is another recipe for beef cubed steak and pork cubed steak. I think alot of times the cube steak isn't tender because it is cooked too long. I know that sounds crazy, but on the following recipes it isn't cooked long and it is tender.

Pizza Burgers

4-6 beef cubed steaks
    1 small jar favorite pizza sauce
    2 tbls.extra virgin olive oil
    1 medium onion-chopped
    1 tbls. minced garlic from jar
    Italian style shredded cheese
    salt & pepper to taste

Brown steaks in skillet. Add salt & pepper. Saute onion & garlic. Add pizza sauce and simmer 20 minutes. Top with chesse until melted, about 10 more minutes.

Fried Pork Cube Steaks

4-6 pork cube steaks
    Enough buttermilk to cover steaks
    1/2 cup flour
    salt,pepper,garlic salt,paprika to taste
    veggie oil to cover bottom of skillet

Cover steaks with buttermilk. Soak 30 minutes. Mix flour and seasonings in a baggie. Dredge steaks in flour mixture. Heat enough veggie oil in skillet to cover bottom and add dredged steaks and fry 5-7 minutes a side.
    To make gravy, add 5-6 tbls. flour to skillet with the drippings and thicken. Add regular milk until desired consistency.

Serve with mashed potatoes and top steaks with gravy also!

Kathy
    False

sugarcb,

was it cooked on low or high in the crockpot?
    False
    Subject: Cube steak
    Posted by: sugarcb Replies: 0 Posted on: 9/25/2007 6:13:28 AM
    #T890454
    Recipe was cooked in crockpot on High.
    False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009