can you can tomatoes with the skin on? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

can you can tomatoes with the skin on?

Last post Sep 27, 2007 10:41 PM by jgfan . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • can you can tomatoes with the skin on?
    I have a garden full of tomatoes... Can I can them with the skins on (like diced tomatoes? I can only seem to find recipe with have to pour boiling water over them and then cold water and removing the skins.

Thanks!
    I'm making salsa today and would like to try canning diced tomatoes (without too much fuss).

Tammie
    False
  • RE: can you can tomatoes with the skin on?
    I do can salsa with the skins on but I use my kitchen aid mixer with the grinder attachment and grind the tomatoes and all the other ingredients. My kids do not like it chunky. If you made it chunky the skins tend to remove themselves from the tomato and be tough little things in your salsa.
    False
    I don't think you'd be happy in the long run with the skins still in your tomatos. I wouldn't use them in a dish for company or to take to a function. The extra work is worth it in the long run.

Tater
    False
    Just to clarify... I'd like to can the diced tomatoes with the skins on- not the salsa ;)

Thanks again!
    False
    I have canned stewed tomatoes with the skins on for years. We love them that way. If you chop the tomatoes it just leaves a small piece of skin and it curls into a teeny cigar shaped piece. We don't even notice they are in there unless you get one all by itself. But it is no big deal as we just chew them up and eat them.
    Yummy!!!!!!
    ~~Leisa~~
    False
    Thought I would explain my method. I corsly chop tomatoes, onions, celery and jalapeno. And along with salt I heat them to just boiling and hot pack in the jars, then process according to the directions.
    I have evrn served these to company and taken dishes to get togethers no one even notices.
    ~~Leisa~~
    False
    I used to can tomatoes with the skins. I would put them in the blender and chopped them that way. Used them for chili, lasagna, spaghetti sauce and any other dish that called for tomatoes. No one ever complained about the small slivers of tomato skins even when we went to family reunions. Give it a try. Certianly is a time-saver. latinrose
    False
    There is a destiny that makes us brothers, No one goes their way alone, All that we bring into the lives of others, Comes back into our own. "Guiding Light" latinrose
    I have canned and frozen tomatoes for years with the skins on. I wash my tomatoes, core them and slice them in half. Place them in a kettle on medium heat and let them cook away. I stir so it don't stick to the bottom of the kettle. Then I place the tomatoes in a jar with whatever juice has cooked too. I place a knife through the middle of the jar and tomato/juice to make certain there are no air bubbles. Cap and can in a water bath for 45 minutes. When I open a jar you can strain the skins off or just use them like they are in anything calling for tomato sauce. I freeze the sauce after cooking them instead of canning too. The skin is like thin pieces of plastic to describe them in your juice. I have also made salsa just cut up chunks of tomatoes with skin still on and use all the other ingredients to make great salsa. You can freeze a whole tomato cored. And plop them in your soups when cooking. I have done this several times too.
    False
    Bump for Tammie to see!
    False
    Thank you all!!!!
    I'm trying my own combination:
    tomatoes (diced with skin on), bell peppers, onions, jalapenos and celery. Going to cook that down a little and add salt and lemon juice to the jars.
    Process (hot water bath) at 30-40 minutes???

Thanks again!!!!
    Tammie
    False
    I make stewed tomatoes with onion, celery and green peppers in them. The recipe says to pressure can them because of the added veggies. 10 pounds pressure 15 minutes for pints, 20 minutes for quarts.
    False