BRUNCH MENU/RECIPES FOR BABY'S BAPTISM | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

BRUNCH MENU/RECIPES FOR BABY'S BAPTISM

Last post Sep 27, 2007 5:16 PM by ellenrobertson . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • BRUNCH MENU/RECIPES FOR BABY'S BAPTISM
    Would love to hear your suggestions/menus/recipes for a brunch following my grandson's baptims in October. I am trying to do most of the cooking ahead of time, since it will be hard to do much after we return from church. I don't want to have to use the oven to heat up anything if possible. Thanks.
    Lori51
    False
  • RE: BRUNCH MENU/RECIPES FOR BABY'S BAPTISM
    My daughter did chicken salad,tuna croissants, salad, mac and cheese in a crockpot, fresh fruit tray, cupcakes.
    False
    bump for later - do not have time to answer now -twinkle
    False
    You are welcome to visit my blog...http://cherryblossomtable.blogspot.com/
    A coldcut and cheese platter, assortment of breads for sandwiches. A crockpot dish like Deannie suggested would be nice too, chili, M&C. Also second a fruit tray/salad/trifle and cupcakes/brownies. Champagne mimosas maybe?

False
    A nice quiche or stratta would work well and would be very easy to make ahead of time. Fresh fruit, pastries or croissants would round things out nicely.

There are several egg recipes for the crock pot, also.
    False
    My family loves these and I think they hold their shape better if frozen before cooking. What makes the balls nice for a brunch/buffet is that they are good room temperature. I'll try to think of other brunch ideas.

SAUSAGE CHEESE BALLS

1 pound Owens hot sausage
    10 oz. cheddar cheese, grated
    2 1/2-3 cups Bisquick

Mix all ingredients well (with hands). Roll into balls about the size of a nickel. If desired, freeze on cookie sheets then place in Ziploc bags. To bake, if frozen, cook on cookie sheet for about 20 minutes at 400º, until golden brown. If not frozen, bake for about 13-15 minutes. Makes about 4 dozen. (They will keep their shape better if frozen first.)
    False
    My sister prepared this and once the gravy had thickened, she put it into a crock pot to keep it warm. The biscuits were already cooked and didn't really have to be hot since the gravy was.

Down Home Sausage Gravy

1 pkg. (16 oz.) fresh breakfast sausage
    2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
    6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 cans (12 fl. oz. each) Evaporated Milk
    1 cup water
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Hot pepper sauce to taste
    Hot biscuits (my sister used the frozen kind that you bake - Pillsbury?)

Combine sausage and onion in large skillet. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until sausage is no longer pink. Stir in flour; mix well. Stir in evaporated milk, water, salt and hot pepper sauce. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a boil. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Serve immediately over biscuits.
    False
    This is another recipe that doesn't have to be hot - just warm up enough to melt the cheese so the sandwiches stay together. I got a local bakery to make small (6 bites or so) hamburger buns for a more "party" food.

MAKE-AHEAD HAM SANDWICHES

1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
    1 small onion, finely chopped or grated
    1 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    2 teaspoons prepared mustard
    1 1/4 cup (8 oz.) cooked ham, finely chopped
    1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Swiss cheese
    6-8 hamburger buns

In a bowl, mix butter, onion, Worcestershire sauce and mustard until well blended. Add ham and cheese. Mix well. Make generous sandwiches. Place in a shallow baking pan and over with foil or wrap each sandwich individually in foil. These sandwiches can be refrigerated for a day or two. When ready to serve, bake at 350 deg. For 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serves 6-8.
    False
    These are exceptionally good (and easy).

BANANA-CHIP MUFFINS

1 package (14 oz.) banana quick bread mix (Pillsbury)
    3/4 cup water
    1/3 cup sour cream
    1 egg
    1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips

In a large bowl, combine the muffin mix, water, sour cream and egg; stir just until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips. Fill greased or paper-lined miniature muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375º for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 3 1/2 dozen.
    False
    I love this chicken salad.

ARTICHOKE AND RICE SALAD
    (CHICKEN OPTIONAL)

1 (9 oz.) pkg. chicken flavored rice mix (Rice-a-Roni)
    2 (6 1/2 oz.) jars marinated artichoke hearts
    3 cups cooked long grain rice
    1 cup chopped green onions
    3/4 cup mayonnaise
    1/2 teaspoon curry
    1 1/2 – 2 cups chopped chicken

Prepare rice mix according to directions. Drain artichokes, reserving liquid, and chop into smaller pieces. Combine rice, artichoke hearts and green onions. Mix together the artichoke liquid, mayonnaise and curry powder. Stir into rice mixture (add chicken, if using). Refrigerate. Serves 10-12.
    False
    BBQ Meatballs

Twice Baked Potatoe Casserole

Vegetable Casserole

Oriental Salad

Rolls

all of these can be made ahead and baked while you are at church or just kept warm in the oven
    False