Advice please- Bananas not ripe enough for banana bread | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Advice please- Bananas not ripe enough for banana bread

Last post Oct 27, 2007 8:28 PM by foxxyroxie_mi . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Advice please- Bananas not ripe enough for banana bread
    I was asked to bring banana bread to a meeting on Monday morning. The problem is my bananas aren't ripe enough and I just used up all that I had in the freezer. Yesterday, I tried putting the bananas in a bag with some apples hoping that might speed up the process, but so far no luck. Can I make the bread with bananas that are ok for eating, but not real ripe and soft? Any ideas of what to do? I really need to make this bread by tomorrow night.
    False
  • RE: Advice please- Bananas not ripe enough for banana bread
    I've found if the bananas are not quite ripe enough, you can zap them in a microwave - makes them a bit mushier.

This is a comment I have Read Twice on recipe boards re: microwaving Bananas for recipes.... I have not personally tried this maybe someone else has?

Alliea
    False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

We have several store in our area that sell the overripe bananas marked down. I sometimes buy a bag and make lots of banana bread.
    False
    Going Bananas Over Baking

(NAPSA)-There are so many tasty pie recipes to make, it’s easy to go “bananas” over baking. One of the all-time American favorites is made with the versatile banana.

Besides being the most popular tropical fruit to eat as a snack, bananas are a surprisingly versatile baking ingredient. For example, mashed bananas are a great fat substitute, lending flavor as well as bulk to a recipe.

Bananas are best for baking when brown spots have just appeared on the skins-they should be flecked with brown spots but not blackened. Flecked bananas have a sweeter taste than yellow-colored ones, but you can use either.

If you want to speed-ripen bananas, place them in the microwave. Pierce with a fork on the outside and microwave whole, in the peel, for a minute and a half.

Right before using in a recipe, mash them well with a fork so they retain texture and some chunks. Don’t blend them smooth in a blender. This can cause your baked goods to become too dense and rubbery.

From another site- I have not tried this since I usually have ripe bananas in my freezer.

Alliea
    False

Thanks, I'll give them until tomorrow to ripen and then I'll try the microwave trick. I usually have an abundance of over-ripe bananas in the freezer but I made that Indescribly Delicious Banana Bread twice in the last 2 weeks and that used up my supply.
    False
    Alliea, I always made my banana bread with bananas as you subscribed in your post. Then I read somewhere that blackend bananas made the best banana bread. I made the banana bread with black bananas, but I can't remember if it tasted better or not.

False

Put On A Happy Face

Maybe you can find some brown bananas at the store for cheap. They sell them here in paper bags for .25/lb.
    False
    bump
    False

Cook's Country magazine has a recipe for banana bread that you roast the bananas.
    Heat oven to 325 degrees. Bake bananas on rimmed baking sheet until skins are completely black, about 20 minutes. Cool bananas completely, peel, and mash with potato masher until smooth.
    False
    Photobucket
    Two of my local grocery store discounts overripe bananas -- sometimes as low as 10 cents a pound so I stock up for when I'm in the mood for banana bread.

False

* ~ * Kim * ~ *