NEED HELP! What do you take for a Funeral Luncheon | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

NEED HELP! What do you take for a Funeral Luncheon

Last post Oct 29, 2007 3:46 PM by JosieSue . 21 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 12
  • NEED HELP! What do you take for a Funeral Luncheon
    Hello Everyone
    My DH and I joined a new church. They called me last night and asked me to prepare something for a Funeral Luncheon. I asked what they would like, they said anything.
    Has anyone here ever provided food for a Funeral ? What do you make?

Thank you in advance for your help.
    False
  • RE: NEED HELP! What do you take for a Funeral Luncheon
    We do this all the time. Usually the caller will say here is my menu, you pick something and make for 20 people or 30 people whatever. I think since this is my first time, I would make a nice bowl of potatoe salad or a desert, and if possible, put it in throw away dish. That way the family does not have to worry with bringing the dishes back to you. Whatever you decide, it will be appreciated.
    False
    I think anything you would take to a potluck dinner would be fine for this. We do this at our church too. Typically our church will pay for fried chicken and we bring all of the side dishes and desserts. In the past I've taken potato dishes, mac & cheese, meatballs, pasta salads, cakes, pies, and different veggies, just to give you some ideas. Take whatever you know you make well and can makes a big dish. I'm sure it'll be fine!
    False
    Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. "John Wooden"
    This recipe is always a huge hit.
    This version posted by Karolin.

Hashbrown Casserole

1 2-lb package frozen hashbrowns, thawed
    1/3 cup margarine, melted
    1 pint sour cream
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 tsp garlic salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    8 ounces Chredded Cheddar Cheese

Topping:
    1 Stick Melted Butter
    4 cups Corn Flakes

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix first 6 ingredients together with a spoon. Place mixture in a greased 9 x 13 pan. Mix topping ingrdients together and spread ontop of hashbrown mixture.
    Bake 1 hour

Tammy
    False
    http://bbs.reimanpub.com/bulletinboard.asp?view=reply&threadnum=478381&catnum=

If anyone is the "co-ordinator" of the dinner I think it would be nice to inquire if anyone is bringing hot or warm food type entrees like lasagna, chicken, meatballs in a chafing dih etc. or even cold cuts and cheese.I am sure whatever you bring is appreciated.

I did attend one such function where no one inquired and unfortunately most everyone brought cold jello salads, lettuce type salads and dinner rolls etc and only one small pan of lasagna that was eaten before most of the people attending even got to the table.

Alliea
    False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

We had a funeral a couple of weeks ago. I did pinto beans in one crock pot and green beans/potatoes in another one and then cornbread. My mom did roast/potatoes/carrots and a cake. There were a lot of casseroles and desserts.
    False
    Click for Little Rock, Arkansas Forecast
    Not knowing if the person who has passed on was good or bad, cover both bases with angel food cake and deviled eggs.
    False
    I usually take fried chicken and potato salad or macaroni and cheese (if there are going to be lots of kids).
    False
    Hi,
    All of the above is good advice and especially a toss away bowl or dish, and like someone said send what you know your family likes. I llke the deviled eggs and angel food cake...Shirley
    False
    I agree...usually the family supplies the meats and bread and butter, mayo, mustard...

We always take, any kind of dessert, jello salad, pasta salads, vegetable salads, deviled eggs...
    False
    Crock pot of baked beans...put your name and phone number on any container you want back....

Usually there is a list to sign on when you bring it incase the family wants to send thank you notes...
    False
    Posted by: Linda_

FUNERAL POTATOES
    (double the recipe for a 9 x 13 pan)

1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 can milk
    1 cup sour cream
    1/4 cup chopped onions (or dried)
    1 cup grated cheese

Mix altogether, then add 1/2 kg (4 cups) of hashbrowns (the cubed ones).
    Mix well, pour into sprayed 8x8 pan or medium baking dish.

TOPPING:
    2 cups crushed cornflakes
    1/3 cup melted margarine or butter
    3 Tblsp. dried parmesan cheese
    Mix and spread over potatoes

Bake, uncovered at 350° for 1 hour.

Maybe a little less time, as this is half the recipe.

It's normally doubled, and put in a deep 9x13 pan.
    False
    A seven-layer salad is really nice to take (if it hasn't already been suggested here). Some bar cookies or brownies are also good to take to things like this.
    False
    Posted by: _starshineeliz

These are the only baked beans we make...I know it sounds strange with the ground beef in there, but they are truly absolutely delicious and we make them for every BBQ that we have..you don't mind the ground beef even if you're having hamburgers. My BIL does steaks and hot dogs and hamburgers on the grill all the time, but has to have his beans:

This is a Baked Bean recipe that we always make for the holidays, really I guess it is more of a casserole since it has the beef in it, but whatever, it is delicious. You can add more or less of each ingredient as your taste likes, I generally just taste as I go along.

..... Stars Baked Beans......

1 lb ground beef
    1 large chopped onion
    3 cans pork and beans
    2 Tbsp yellow mustard
    2 Tbsp worcestshire
    3/4 to 1 cup ketchup
    1/2 to 3/4 cup brown sugar

Brown ground beef and onion in skillet.

Combine with rest of the ingredients in a large casserole and bake in oven for 45 min at 350 degrees.

False
    Posted by: grayhound

This is a great recipe for the holiday picnics. It is an old recipe but surely a good one. Thought I would share with anyone who hasn't tried these delicious beans.

We live them over our hot dogs that we cook on the open fire at our camper. I make them in my crockpot.

........Calico Beans..................

1 lb ground meat
    1 cup chopped onion (may use less depending on your taste)
    1 (1 lb)can butter beans
    1 (1 lb) can kidney beans
    2 ( 1 lb) cans pork & beans (I use one small can of pork & beans and a larger can of Bush's honey baked beans )
    1/3 cup bacon, cut up
    1 c. catsup
    1 c. brown sugar ( I use Splenda BS)
    1 Tbsp. vinegar
    1Tbsp. prepared mustard.

Brown together meat, onion and bacon. Combine all ingredients in a 4 quart casserole dish and bake at 350 for one hour.

Stir occasionally.

This is a good staple recipe for us campers.
    Hugs to all and have a safe holiday.
    False