Need Help Converting yellow cake mix to chocolate | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Need Help Converting yellow cake mix to chocolate

Last post Oct 31, 2007 12:24 AM by TheFlicker3 . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Need Help Converting yellow cake mix to chocolate
    I went to make chocolate cupcakes for tomorrow and thought i had a chocolate cake mix but it turns out i only have yellow. Can i convert this to chocolate? If so, how?

Thanks for your help
    False
  • RE: Need Help Converting yellow cake mix to chocolate
    maybe just add cocoa powder?
    False

my blog! www.jillshomecooking.blogspot.com

Been a big fan of TOH since I was a young teenager!!! I was sooooo excited to be asked to become a Volunteer Field Editor in June 2013!!

I do a chocolate bundt cake that begins w/ yellow cake mix. You could absolutely use the batter for cupcakes.
    It calls for 1 pkg. instant chocolate pudding, 2T. cocoa, and 2 oz. grated semisweet chocolate. For the semi sweet, I just blast some semisweet chips in my processor. Frankly, you can leave out the grated choc. and it's fine.
    The flavor is outstanding!

deb
    False

Just add cocoa powder. Start with 1/4 cup, mix and add extra tbsps until as chocolaty as you want. If you add a lot, you may have to add a little powdered sugar for sweetness.

Do it before you add the eggs so you can taste it.

False
    debster...does the liquid and eggs stay the same???
    False
    Yes, but I always add an extra egg and I use milk instead of water. Neither are necessary, I just always have. I think it makes the cake softer.

deb
    False
    thanks debster...I think i am going to try this, i just looked and i only have sugar free chocolate pudding so i'm going to give it a shot with this.
    False
    I have used instant hot chocolate packets. I used one in the cake mix with 1 tbsp. oil, and 1 in a tub of frosting. It gave a mellow smooth light chocolatey flavor.
    You can also add cocoa to the mix, and 1 tsp. cocoa to a tub of white frosting.

Cherie - IN †
    False