Help! What to do with overripe but good pears!!!! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Help! What to do with overripe but good pears!!!!

Last post Aug 07, 2004 10:17 AM by frankieq . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Help! What to do with overripe but good pears!!!!
    My DS gave me a sack full of very ripe pears. Any suggestions of what to do with them?
    ~~Leisa~~
    False
  • RE: Help! What to do with overripe but good pears!!!!
    Pear crisp , pear bread?
    False
    We were given wonderful pears for Christmas and couldn't eat them all. They became quite ripe and I did make a pear pie. It was good, but vey mushy. Pear sauce? If you have any recipes using apple sauce, substitute pears.
    False
    Smoothies. Core and freeze them, and maybe a banana too. Then throw in the blender with a bit of juice and/or milk.
    False
    Pear Bread with Vanilla and Ginger
    1 stick unsalted butter, rm temp
    1 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 tsp vanilla
    2 cups all purpose flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    pinch salt
    zest of 1 lemon
    1/3 cup fine chopped candied ginger
    1/4 cup butternilk
    1 1/2 cups peeled, cored and coarse chop pears
    Heat oven to 350. In a large bowl cream butter and sugar. Add the eggs, beating well after each. Add vanilla and beat until just combined. Combine dry ingredients, lemon zest and ginger in small bowl. Add dry ingred. to butter mixture in 3 equal portions, alternating with buttermilk. Beat just 'til smooth. Fold in pears just 'til evenl distributed.
    Scrape batter into greased 9" loaf pan. Bake in preheated oven 'til golden brown (pick test), approx. 55-65 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely before slicing.

Or, you could just do pear sauce (like applesauce), or pear butter if you have that kind of time...
    False
    "I try to avoid serving inedible substances to my guests." VinnyD
    Any recipe that calls for applesauce or apples you can use the pears in place of. How about even canning them?
    False
    Thanks for the tips and hints for pears. They are great. And thanks Lisaknitter for the pear bread recipe. I think I might even have some candied ginger hiding around here some where. I also like the idea of freezing them for smoothies. I love the things but never have ice, so that would work great.
    I have never thought of substituting them for applesauce. Funny how this brain of mine doesn't think of even simple things.
    Thanks Everybody,
    ~~Leisa~~
    False
    bump
    False
    bump
    False