Recipes for shipping to Military overseas | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Recipes for shipping to Military overseas

Last post Mar 24, 2004 4:33 PM by jsmom . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Recipes for shipping to Military overseas
    My husband is in the Army and is stationed overseas. He and the other guys love Care Packages, but I am not sure what kind of things to fix that will still taste good after the 7-9 days of shipping. Can anyone help me?
    False
  • RE: Recipes for shipping to Military overseas
    Are you adament about shipping homemade stuff? You could always buy jerky and hard candies, things like that. When I used to ship to my son when he was in Korea and made homemade cookies I would put a slice of bread in with the cookies to keep them soft longer. Most any cookie recipe will keep that long as they gobble them up right away anyways.
    Elizabeth
    False
    The suggestion is to use cookies that are crisp and then pkg them back to back ( 2 together at one time). So you will have a lot of individual
    pkgs.Then layered them with the bubble wrap that has small bubbles on it.

There is a website www.uso.org
    You can go there and see if there is any info on that there.

Girl Scout cookies would be good as it may be some that they already like and perhaps there is some available from your local girl scouts.
    False
    My son was in the service and what we used to do was make any kind of cookie then package with my Food saver. I did freeze the cookies first because I was afraid they would break. We packaged them using styrafoam peanuts and shipped them off. Ds said they were fresh. He would share. It seems the guys would be waiting for him to get his care package. I always sent several dozen at a time for him to share.
    False
    Hi Rhodees,
    I sent my husband things that he liked that were sealed, in cans or bags.
    He liked Lipton sweetned Ices tea, so I sent him a container of that. Gum, candy, handiwipes,home made cookies, local,newspapers with local and international news. My husband like most is a huge sports fan, so I sent him those sections of the paper. Tape programs on whatever he device he has available to him , like on tapes or DVD's.I also sent him somemusic tapes of his favorite. If he has a favorite food that comes in glass, wrap it in bubble wrap and it will get there ok. Thank God to the person who ever invented that stuff.

You can also go to www.ask Jeeves.com and type in : how to pack cookies to ship soldiers" and there is a lot of info there. You can also ask " what to send soliders" or othere questions you might have.

Recently some guys from our local base were deployed to Iraq and some of the guys at the base put a package together and sent it to them. it took 3 days. I am not sure how they did that but, you could ask your husband base commander or base chief. Do you have someone who you can call there to ask thse questions. you should have. When my husband was there , I was in contact with people at the base and a buddy that stayed behind who kinda took care of me in payment for the time my husband looked after his wife when he was gone.

If you can send boxes from his home base that is the best, because you can send all sorts of things that you normally couldn't or wouldn't because it is too expensive.

If you would like to email me and I will ask my husband more info to give you.

I also sent things like beef jerky, slim Jim's. Ask him what he would like and what he wishes he had there and what he misses the most.You can send the trail mix, nuts.

I do know what you are going through . My best wishes to you and him. My husband came home last xmas.
    False
    bump
    False
    I just bumped a post for you: Cookies that stay fresh for a long time. I posted it a couple of months ago, and got lots of great recipes.
    Hope this helps
    Tina
    False