ISO: Easy Coconut Cake using Coconut Milk | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO: Easy Coconut Cake using Coconut Milk

Last post Jun 29, 2013 11:46 AM by klm525 . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • ISO: Easy Coconut Cake using Coconut Milk
    I thought I saw a recipe here using a cake mix and coconut milk. Does this sound firmilar to anyone? If not, any coconut cake recipe using coconut milk would be great.

Thank you!

Nicole
    False
  • RE: ISO: Easy Coconut Cake using Coconut Milk
    I just made one of these last night.

Coconut-Pineapple Cream Cake

1 pkg. (18.5 oz.) yellow cake mix (pineapple cake mix is good, too)
    1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
    1 cup coconut milk
    1 pkg. (3-3/4 oz.) instant vanilla pudding and pie filling (I like using coconut cream or banana cream instead)
    1 can (1 lb., 4 oz.) crushed pineapple, drained (I save the juice)
    1 container (12 oz.) frozen whipped topping, thawed
    1-1/3 cups shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool in pan for 15 minutes; remove from pan and finish cooling on rack. (I leave the cake in the pan, poke holes in it, and pour some of the reserved pineapple juice over the cake as soon as I take it out of the oven).
    In small bowl of electric mixer, beat cream cheese with coconut milk and pudding; spread over cooled cake. Spoon drained pineapple over pudding mixture, then cover with whipped topping. Sprinkle with coconut. Chill before serving. Makes 20 servings.
    False
    Yummy this sounds good. cocunut cake is my D/H favorite. I always make one for his B/D. I will certainly try this version this year. Thanks for sharing this. Linda
    False
    Thanks NataliePooh for your recipe. Do you think I could leave out the pineapple and still get the same results? MY DH does not like pineapple :(

Thanks! It sure does sound good.

Nicole
    False
    Nicole, you could leave out the pineapple. You won't get the same results, but it would still be good!
    False
    Hi Nicole,
    I just posted this recipe but it uses milk, not coconut milk. Would it work for you?

Coconut Cake

1 yellow cake mix, prepare in 13 x 9 inch cake pan according to package directions(I use Duncan Hines Butter Recipe Golden)
    1 1/2 cups milk
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 cups sweetened, flaked coconut
    1- 8 ounce carton Cool Whip

Prepare cake and cool for 15 minutes. Poke holes with large fork into top of cake. Combine milk, sugar and 1/2 cup coconut in saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for one minute. Spoon milk mixture over warm cake. Cool completely. Fold in 1/2 cup coconut into Cool Whip and spread over cooled cake. Sprinkle remaining coconut over cake. Refrigerate overnight.
    Store leftovers in refrigerator.
    False
    Hey Nataliepooh, thanks for posting your recipe! It sounds YUMMY!! I want it NOW!!!!!
    False
    This is how i make my coconut cake last week and it was out of this world.
    1 yellow cake mix
    Follow directions on box accept for where it calls for water add coconut milk instead.And bake according to box diection when cake comes out of the oven poke holds in it with a fork and mix 1 can of cream of coconut and 1 can of sweetened condensed milk and pour over cake.Then frost with your favorite butter cream frosting are cool whip.This cake it so moisted and so good.
    ~Cubbybear~
    False
    In loving memory of Suzy
    Thank you all for your responses... Cubbybear... yours was the recipe I saw! But now with so many tasty varieties where does a person start???

Thanks again... Once I get "A" Cake baked I'll let you all in on the review!

Thanks again,

Nicole
    False
    Rec Rev: Coconut Cream Cake
    Posted by: flipper78 Replies: 3 Posted on: 2/2/2004 8:54:13 AM
    #T297086
    Coconut Cream Cake

1 pkg (18 1/4 ounces) white cake mix
    3 egg whites
    1 1/4 cups water
    2/3 cup flaked coconut, divided
    1 can (14 ounces) fat-free sweetened condensed milk
    1 tsp coconut extract
    1 1/2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping

In a mixing bowl, beat the dry cake mix, egg whites, water and 1/3 cup coconut on low speed for 2 minutes. Tranfer to a 13inx9inx2in baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
    Meanwhile, combine milk and extract. Using a large meat fork, punch holes in cake. Gently spread half of the milk mixture over cake. Let stand for 3 minutes. Spread remaining milk mixture over cake. Cool for 30 minutes. Toast the remaining coconut. Spread whipped topping over cake; sprinkle with coconut. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield 15 servings.

L&T oct/nov 03

Made this last night for dessert and it got rave reviews from my inlaws. My fil loves coconut and he said it is very good.

How about this one?? It is wonderful
    False
    Ok... maybe I'll have to change to more then one cake :-) I love coconut and so does DH so this may turn into a real coconut adventure!

Thank you,

Nicole
    False
    Nicole~I know you have more than you ever will need, but this is a great one from Cooking Light. It's nice to keep in the file if you're ever trying to reduce a little fat and calorie intake. I made it for coworkers who raved about it!

Amy
    Double-Coconut Cake

Coconut milk, found with the Asian foods in the supermarket, makes this cake moist and rich.

Cooking spray
    1 tablespoon cake flour
    2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
    2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 2/3 cups sugar
    1/3 cup butter, softened
    2 large eggs
    1 (14-ounce) can light coconut milk
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    Fluffy Coconut Frosting
    2/3 cup flaked sweetened coconut, divided

Preheat oven to 350°.
    Coat 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray; dust with 1 tablespoon flour.

Combine 2 1/4 cups flour, baking powder, and salt, stirring with a whisk. Place sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (for about 5 minutes). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture and milk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in vanilla.

Pour batter into prepared pans. Sharply tap the pans once on countertop to remove air bubbles. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes on wire racks, and remove from pans. Cool completely on wire racks.

Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spread with 1 cup Fluffy Coconut Frosting. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup coconut. Top with remaining cake layer; spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle 1/3 cup coconut over top of cake. Store cake loosely covered in refrigerator.

(Totals include Fluffy Coconut Frosting.)

Yield: 14 servings

CALORIES 298 (24% from fat); FAT 7.9g (satfat 5g, monofat 1.7g, polyfat 0.3g); PROTEIN 3.4g; CARBOHYDRATE 53.8g; FIBER 0.4g; CHOLESTEROL 42mg; IRON 1.6mg; SODIUM 273mg; CALCIUM 52mg;

Cooking Light, DECEMBER 2001

False

Here's the frosting recipe:

Fluffy Coconut Frosting

This recipe goes with Double-Coconut Cake

4 large egg whites
    1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
    Dash of salt
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 cup water
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/4 teaspoon coconut extract

Place egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form. Combine sugar and water in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until candy thermometer registers 238°. Pour hot sugar syrup in a thin stream over egg whites, beating at high speed. Stir in extracts.

Yield: about 4 cups (serving size: about 1/4 cup)

CALORIES 54 (0.0% from fat); FAT 0.0g (satfat 0.0g, monofat 0.0g, polyfat 0.0g); PROTEIN 0.9g; CARBOHYDRATE 12.7g; FIBER 0.0g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; IRON 0.0mg; SODIUM 32mg; CALCIUM 1mg;

Cooking Light, DECEMBER 2001

False

CookNchic - Oh wow does that ever sound good... sure doesn't sound light!!!

Thank you!!!

Nicole
    False

Smile

False