What is the best cut of meat to make shredded beef? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What is the best cut of meat to make shredded beef?

Last post Mar 30, 2004 6:36 PM by AbbysMom . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • What is the best cut of meat to make shredded beef?
    I will be making shredded beef burritos for Easter and wondered what meat you would use. I usually use chuck but DH wants something else. Any ideas? Thank you!

Annie
    False
  • RE: What is the best cut of meat to make shredded beef?
    See you gave yourself the answer I was going to give you, the chuck roast. Nice and marbled as it gives it a good taste too, and cooks well in the slow cooker with plenty of onions. That is what DH is getting when he comes home from Iraq next month, said Shredded Beef sounds wonderful and will be made ahead so I won't be staying in the kitchen. have a great week. Connie
    False
    I agree with the chuck roast. From my experience, the chuck roasts sold in grocery store meat counters tend to be cut thin. I would look for a thicker roast, at least 1 1/2 - 2 in. thick. We buy a side of beef and I have them cut thick.

I made shredded barbeque beef yesterday. These sandwiches are one of my youngest daughters favorites.
    I know this recipe freezes well, but I never have any left to freeze.

prairiegirl

False
    I'd say chuck or an arm roast.
    False
    Prairiegirl - What is your recipe for shreeded beef? Would you please share it? Thanks so much.
    Lori51
    False
    bump
    False
    Thanks all! I'll have to print this out for DH. Sheesh. I TOLD him chuck roast was the way to go!! lol

What I do is:

Preheat oven to 325

Put chuck roast on a piece of foil and sprinkle with 1-2 pkgs. lipton onion soup. I cover it with another piece of foil and crimp the edges so the steam stays in. Cook it for 3 hours.

Remove from foil and shred. Put the meat in a skillet and put your packaged or homemade seasonings on, add a little water, simmer until ready to serve. YUM!

Annie
    False
    I prefer a chuck steak too, but often the Mexican recipes call for flank steak as well.
    False
    For making my shredded beef, I put my chuck roast in the slow cooker with a little water, a sliced onion, salt and pepper and just let it cook until it is so tender, and then I end up just kind of stirring it around and it breaks apart so easy. And either have plain shredded beef sandwiches on onion buns or add some barbecue sauce and have that on buns. Have a great evening, Connie
    False
    I'm adding my opinion here too - and it's Chuck also, specifically, Boston Cut. That's all I use for Italian Beef in the Crockpot and for Barbecued Beef in the Crockpot. I also cube it for stew.

When I make Italian Beef, I cook the roast to medium (Crockpot), slice thin and marinate in the juices an extra day. It's the best!!!!

Arlene
    False
    Here comes my 2 cents!, I'd like to use a brisket for shredding. I'm not real knowledgeable when it comes to beef cuts though.
    AbbysMom
    False