Do you German cooks make a Mixed Fruit Kuchen???? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Do you German cooks make a Mixed Fruit Kuchen????

Last post Aug 22, 2009 1:20 PM by dszen . 44 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 123
  • Do you German cooks make a Mixed Fruit Kuchen????
    Guten Tag! My dear mother is looking for a mixed fruit topped kuchen that she used to buy in the 1940's at a bakery in Buffalo, NY named Gressman's. She's not sure if the cake was yeast or not. She thinks there were plums, peaches, and maybe other fruits. I searched the BB, and didn't find this one. Does anyone have an idea of a name and recipe for this kuchen? We would both really appreciate it, and so would our families!
    Amy
    False
  • RE: Do you German cooks make a Mixed Fruit Kuchen????
    bump
    False
    I just typed out a recipe for Kuchen that someone else asked for. I'll copy it here. Hope it's what you're looking for. I don't know much about kuchen though, just found this recipe in one of my cookbooks.

KUCHEN

crust:
    2 cups flour
    3 tsp baking powder
    4 tbsp sugar
    2 tbsp shortening
    1 cup cream
    1 egg

fruit - cherries, plums, apples, apricots or any seasonal fruit

topping:
    3/4 cup sugar
    3/4 cup flour
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    2 tbsp butter
    cream

For crust mix flour, baking powder and sugar. Add shortening and mix until fine crumbs. Add cream and egg. Pat into a large greased baking sheet, pushing up sides. Top with a layer of fruit.
    For topping mix sugar, flour and baking powder, then cut in butter. Add enough cream to make coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over fruit and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes.
    False
    I'll watch this thread carefully. My Grandmother used to make a wonderful apple kuchen, but I think it was just a very light sweet bread dough and I don't know what all was in the apple topping. Sure would love to find something close to this.
    False

"Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book." ~Author Unknown

My German grandma use to make a mixed fruit kuchen. It was a yeast dough and she used peaches (sometimes apricots), apples, plums (she had two different trees but I don't remember the names of the plums) and cherries. It was very good. I don't have her recipe, I thought it was her usual yeast dough and she put the fruit on top.
    False
    My grandmother used to make one for her restaurant in Germany that I duplicate at home here. Bisquit is what they call there cake base, similar, but not exactly like our yellow cake here. I bake a yellow cake in a springform pan. When cooled I slice it in half, horizontally and use one half for each torte.

I spread a thin layer of buttercream or jam over the cut top of the base and arrange assorted fruit on top. One of my favorites is pineapple rings with mandarin oranges filling in the spaces, or cover the base with strawberry jam and halved strawberries. I then put an expanding metal ring (torten ring)tightly around the base and fruit.

At many stores here in the US, you can buy Dr. Oetker brand of torte gel topping. It comes in little envelopes and you cook it on the stove with liquid. Spoon this over the fruit, making sure to completely cover and seal all the fruit. Chill until set, then carefully remove the ring. You can then lightly ice the side with buttercream, or pipe whipped cream around the side before serving.

The Strawberrry Torte is what I make my mother for her birthday every year.
    False
    Obstboden -Fruitcake
    -----------PASTRY-----------
    2 Cups Flour; Unbleached
    1/4 Cup Sugar
    1 Cup Butter
    2 Egg Yolks
    ----------FILLING-----------
    4 Cups Fruit; Fresh, Canned, Frozen
    1/2 Cup Sugar -- with fresh fruit
    1/4 Cup Water -- if needed
    2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
    -------ALMOND COATING-------
    1 Egg White
    1 Tablespoon Sugar
    1/2 Cup Almonds; Toasted, Sliced
    ----------TOPPING-----------
    2 Tablespoons Sugar
    1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
    1 Cup Cream Heavy, Whipped

CAKE: Mix flour and sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse
    crumbs. Add egg yolks; mix to form dough. Press dough into bottom and sides of
    a 10-inch springform pan. Dough should come 1 1/2 inches up the sides. Bake
    in a preheated 375 degree F. oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until pastry is firm
    and light brown. FILLING: Drain canned or frozen fruit, reserving juice. Crush
    1 cup of fresh fruit to make juice. Add sugar to fresh fruit and let stand 1/2
    hour.
    Drain juice and add water to make 1 cup. Mix cornstarch and fruit juice. Cook
    over medium heat until thickened. Place whole fruit in baked pastry shell.
    Pour thickened fruit juice over top. Chill thoroughly. Carefully remove torte
    from springform pan. ALMOND COATING: Beat egg white until foamy. Gradually
    beat in the sugar.
    beat until stiff peakes are formed. Spread the meringue around the outside of
    the pastry shell. Press in the almonds so that they completly cover the sides.
    TOPPING: Gently fold sugar and vanilla into whipped cream. Spread over the
    fruit. Garnish with sliced toasted almonds, if desired.

False
    You are welcome to visit my blog...http://cherryblossomtable.blogspot.com/
    hi amy -you can use any kind of fruit fresh canned or frozen.

we often bake the base and just use frozen raspberries and glaze with a gelatinmix from dr. oetker and serve with whipping cream or fresh strawberries blueberry or mixed fruit always with banana on the edges -lol this is so german!!!

gladly our local bakery bakes yummy light and fresh bases - i can't bake that good myself and we just decorat and serve it is sooo yummy i should run there lol.

enjoy your cake!

Happy easter and best wishes to all my friends

twinkle

False
    You are welcome to visit my blog...http://cherryblossomtable.blogspot.com/
    Thank you all for your wonderful recipes. I was able to do a little searching on the internet. I found a couple recipes myself which are a little different. I'll post them a little later today as soon as I can. I really appreciate your responses which give me an authentic German version. Danke!
    False
    I'm going to post one recipe, and then try posting again later. This one was interesting to me because it is a low fat version. I found it on www.fatfree.com/recipes/desserts/
    fruit-kuchen.

FRUIT-KUCHEN RECIPE

2 c. unbleached flour
    1/2 c. sugar
    1 heaping T. applesauce
    2 t. baking powder
    pinch salt (optional)
    1 c. ff soy milk or skim milk

*Topping: instead of the struesel I mixed 1 T. flour and 1/4 c. sugar and a t. cinnamon right into the fruit before putting fruit on top of batter.

Mix dry ingredients, then stir in milk and sauce. Don't over mix. Batter is sticky. Pat into a pam-sprayed 9 x 13" pan. Top with any fruit or combination of fruit you want. These all work well: blueberries, canned pitted cherries, sliced peaches, thawed frozen raspberries, apple slices. Bake in a 350 oven until done, about 35-40 minutes. Exposed batter should be golden. Top with sifted powdered sugar and serve warm.
    False
    I found this one on http://cake.allrecipes.com
    It looks like an easy way to make a kuchen if you are at a cottage or summer home. Submitted by Brent Daley. Yield: 3 X 9" kuchens

FRUIT KUCHEN

1 (16 oz) pkg hot roll mix
    2 T. white sugar
    3 c. pitted prunes (also apricots, cherries can be used)
    1-1/2 c. water
    2 c. sour cream
    1/2 c. white sugar
    1 T. ground cinnamon

1. Prepare the hot roll mix according to directions, adding the 2 T. sugar. Cover dough and put in a warm place to rise. Let rise until doubled, then punch down and divide into 3 pieces. Roll pieces of dough out into a circle about 8 or 9 inches in diameter. Place dough into three greased 8 or 9 in. pans, and let rise until doubled.
    2. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the prunes and water. Simmer for 5 minutes, then remove from heat and cover. In a small bowl or cup, stir together the remaining sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
    3. Preheat oven to 375. When the dough has risen, spread the prune puree over the three cakes. Stir sour cream to soften, and spread over the prunes. Dust with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
    4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until top edges are golden. Cover with more sour cream and cinnamon sugar if desired before serving.

False
    For the bread machine:

FRESH FRUIT KUCHEN

Dough
    1/4 c. water (70-80 deg.)
    1/4 c. milk
    1 large egg
    3 T. butter or margarine, cut up
    3 T. sugar
    1/4 t. salt
    2-1/4 c. all-purpose flour
    1-3/4 t. bread machine yeast

Topping
    3 c. sliced (1" thick) fresh fruits such as apples, pears, plums, peaches or nectarines, peeled if desired.
    Crumb Topping (see below)
    Sieved apricot jam or melted jelly
    Almond icing (see below)

Directions: Measure dough ingredients into bread machine in manuf.'s order. Process on dough cycle. When done, knead in added flour to make it easy to handle.
    Roll dough to 10 X 15" rectangle. Place on large, greased baking sheet. Arrange fruit, in lengthwise rows, 1/2" apart, on dough. Sprinkle crumb topping between rows of fruit. Cover; let rise in warm, place until doubled in size, about 20-40 min. Bake at 375 for 20 min. or until done. Cool. Brush fruit with jam and drizzle almond icing over cake.

Crumb topping: combine 1/2 c. flour, 3 T. sugar, 3/4 t. cinnamon and 1/4 t. nutmeg. Cut in 3 T. softened butter or margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Almond icing: In a small bowl, combine 1 c. sifted powdered sugar, 4 to 5 t. milk and 1/4 t. almond extract; stir until smooth.

False
    As Twinkle30 has mentioned in Canada, we buy what we call a "flan" base similar to shortcake base, and just put our fruits --strawberry, peaches grapes etc, and buy a gel from the German deli --Dr.Oetker which you cook and pour over the fruit

It is a very quick way to make a nice dessert, and can be served with fresh whipped cream.

Heidi
    False
    Hi Heidi,
    Thank you very much for your comments. When you said that you buy the Dr. Oetker's gel from the German Deli, would that be www.GermanDeli.com? Do you buy the flan base from a local bakery? I sometimes cross-border shop in Fort Erie, Niagara Falls, and sometimes St. Catherine's because I live in Buffalo, NY. Are there any stores in particular you might recommend for the flan base or for Dr. Oetker's products? In Fort Erie, I've been to Sobey's and Commisso's, both supermarkets. I actually e-mailed Dr. Oetker's in Missisauga, Ont. last week to see where is the best place to obtain their products on the Niagara Frontier, but have no reply. If you have any idea where to check, I'd love to know. Thanks alot!!! Amy

P.S. Happy Easter and hugs to all of you for your terrific ideas and recipes.
    False
    I can find the gel here at World Market, various German delis and Central Market.
    False