Does anyone eat Edamame? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Does anyone eat Edamame?

Last post Jul 23, 2008 3:58 PM by Bakinfreekster . 25 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 12
  • Does anyone eat Edamame?
    My Dr. said it would be a great high protein high fiber food for snacking between meals. All I know is it is soy beans in the pod. How does it taste?
    False
  • RE: Does anyone eat Edamame?
    I love them!! We live in the boonies and don't have much of these 'health foods' available. When in San Francisco at DD's we ate at huge salad bars and they had them (not in the pod) and they are like a cross of a green pea and a baby lima bean (JMHO) and I knew they were healthy, so I scarfed down a lot of them.
    False
    For anyone like me who hasn't a clue:

Edamame is pronounced ed-uh-mah-may.
    False
    I eat it all the time - love it steamed and salted. YUM! Lots of proten - very good for you.

Holly
    False
    I found a hugh bag of frozen pre cooked edamame at Sam's Club much cheaper than the tiny deli packages I have found elsewhere.
    False
    I also bought them shelled and made a cold salad with them. I added dried cherries, feta cheese, green onion, fresh basil and a bit of oil and vinegar. I agree that they taste like a cross between lima beans and green peas.

Chefly
    False
    You have me curious now. I now you can buy canned soy-beans in helthfood stores. Some stores carry the black ones which taste better than the green.
    Why do the call plain old soybeans such a goofy name??? What do they do tothem to make them so special other than shellingthem outof the pods. Or are they dry, ripe, then pre-cooked, dried again, or fresh (unripe) and then dried like "oarched" corn.
    Can anyone enlighten me?????
    Thanks in advance.
    Grelo

Or isthis just a California "thing"??
    False
    Sorry for the typos, was in a hurry, late getting lunch. Meant "parched" corn.
    Grelo
    False
    grelo, it's not a goofy name. . .it's the Japanese word. . .
    False
    Grelo~I have pretty limited experience with this, but here's what I have seen. The Edamame that I've seen is always frozen, green peas/beans. The name is Japanese from what I understand.

The dried things I've seen are always called "soy nuts" around here and are either alone, spiced with different flavors or are packaged as part of a snack mix. They are really drying on your tongue, and are marketed as good to help with hot flashes and provide other benefits of soy.

Hope I can close to offering you some new information!

Amy
    False

Where have I been??? Hate to admit it when there is something in the line of food I've never heard of.
    Wlll put them on the grocery list to at least look at!!
    Hanging my head in shame in Texas,Nancy
    False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

We eat them all the time, and love them.

I buy a 1-pound bag in the freezer section (1 pound of edamame in the pod), for about $2.50. Perhaps those who live in soybean country will find them cheaper.

You bring a pot of salted water to a boil, toss in the frozen pods, bring it back to a boil and boil for 2-3 minutes. Drain in a colander, sprinkle the pods with salt, and serve in a big bowl, with another bowl beside it for the discarded pods.
    To eat, you pop the shells open and suck out the beans, which are green and tender. (If you cook them a lot longer than I described, the bean will get mushier, and it isn't quite as fabulous, in my opinion).

It does look a bit like a smaller lima bean.

I must say I don't care for peas or limas, but I love edamame. Go figure!

We serve this as an appetizer, and the kids love it too. You have to do a little work to get your beans, so it keeps you from eating 100 chips in a row, which is no work at all!
    False
    Edamame are cooked green soybeans. They taste nothing like the canned soybeans. Give them a try.

Chefly
    False
    I'm a farmer...a soybean farmer, and edamame are not like the soybeans we grow. One year I grew some edible soybeans in my garden...well, I tried to grow them, the grasshoppers got them, instead of me. They must be a different variety than we grow in the fields. I think the seed catalogs have seed for them now. I may try them again and see if I can beat the grasshoppers to the beans.
    False
    I heated up the frozen pre cooked pods and the beans just poppped right out so easy, just like eating peanuts. The pre cooked are great, just heat and you don't have to worry about over cooking. I really liked them and they will be my major snacking food for a long time.
    False