What are Scallops and what do they taste like? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What are Scallops and what do they taste like?

Last post Apr 02, 2004 8:31 AM by M_Wolverine . 25 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 12
  • What are Scallops and what do they taste like?
    We were at a seafood restaurant and fried scallops were on the menu. What are they?

Thanks a ton!
    False
  • RE: What are Scallops and what do they taste like?
    They are a white kind of thing that are really tasteless.
    False
    I found them fairly bland too.
    False
    Thank you for your quick response!
    I guess I won't bother trying them.
    False
    They are a shellfish and I don't find them to be tasteless...on the contrary. I am not a seafood eater and find them to be very "fishy"(smile) tasting.
    False
    i like scallops.they really dont have a taste much,but i think they are rather tougher meat like clams or calamari(squid).calamari is my favorite!!
    False
    Tonya Longshore
    Thank you again!
    False
    If they are prepared properly they are not tough. They do have a soft texture and a little bit of a grit to them at times. I really like them and order them often. I love them dipped in melted butter or tartar sauce. My favorite way to eat them is either deep fried or in a seafood lasagna. Tippytoes
    False
    They have the greatest flavor, and are very tender.
    False
    Scallops are sweet meat - if not overcooked delicious things. My husband and I went out to dinner this last week to Red Lobster and I ordered lobster wrapping scallops - delicious. Nothing better. The trick to scallops is to not overcook them.
    Janetplanet
    False
    I enjoy scallops as I do most shellfish. It has its own taste & is mild tasting. My favorite way is broiled.

I have had them wrapped in bacon which is delicious. I have had them with cajun seasoning & that was good too.

They can be expensive so I guess you should try them but see if you can sample off of someone elses plate first. Thats why I like buffets. You get to try the unusual food & then if you don't like it then you can still have something else. Diane
    False

Diane

Scallops are a shell fish and the large ones are very expensive and have a rather sweet flavor. The small ones do not have the same sweet taste and are rather bland. I personally love them.
    False
    They are a shellfish. The larger ones are the sea scallops that are when prepared properly excellent especially when sauteed or broiled or baked wrapped in bacon.

The smaller ones are the bay scallops and they do tend to be bland and tougher but when prepared correctly can have a mild taste as the sea scallops.

Personally I love scallops. In a light butter sauce they are the best.

It is entirely up to each individual whether you would like them or not. I say give them a try. You may very well like them. They have a texture somewhat like lobster and crab.

Phil
    False
    Thank you everyone!! I have learned so much, and now I have to try them!
    False
    Scallops have a very subtle flavour--they are mild, and aren't particularly fishy -- As a previous person said, the secret is not to overcook them.

I make an alfredo pasta, and cook the scallops dipped in egg, and then flour and they are delicious.

Very rich.

Don't knock them till you try them.

Tricia
    False