What do you use coriander in? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What do you use coriander in?

Last post Apr 03, 2004 8:03 AM by kytraveler . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • What do you use coriander in?
    Hi Everyone: My husband who is not a cook asked me what you use it in and what does it taste like. This is not a spice I have ever used. Can someone educate me please. Marlene
    False
  • RE: What do you use coriander in?
    Corinader is the dried form of cilantro. It is used in Mexican and Chinese dishes. Mzfryz
    False
    This description is from The Complete Guide to Country Cooking:

Also known as coriander or Chinese parsley, the zesty-flavored green leaves of this herb are used fresh in Mexican-style dishes. Cilantro leaves add distinctive flavor to salsas, southwestern-style appetizers, dips, sauces, chili, pesto and rice and bean dishes. Cilantro is best added to dishes just before serving to retain its fresh flavor.
    False
    I use it in all my curries, salsa, potato salads, in place of parsley in any recipe.

Pups
    False
    Coriander is actually the seed of cilantro and has a much more bitter taste. Cilantro almost takes like soap. People either love or hate cilantro and I hate it. However I can eat dishes (stews, etc,) that have coriander seed in them with no problem at all.

False
    That is actually a very good question. I have a jar of coriander in my spice rack, but I honestly cannot tell you when I used it last or exactly why I bought it. The same thing could be said for my jar of fennel seeds.
    False
    About the only thing I use coriander in is the white sauce I make to go with enchilada's... I can't eat anything spicy so this gives great flavor without the heat of using chiles.
    False
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    I use coriander in my marinade for Sauerbraten.
    False
    This is a reply to Hadaplan's comment about fennel seed. I like to use a little fennel in spagetti sauce and cavatini. It has adds just a little different taste that blends so well with tomato based dishes. It's a flavor that layers so well that when people taste your dish they ask what is that extra zip of flavor. I picked up the tip of using it from a caterer.
    False