How do I make french toast that isn't soggy? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How do I make french toast that isn't soggy?

Last post Jan 10, 2013 12:31 PM by Antilope . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • How do I make french toast that isn't soggy?
    My french toast always turns out gooey and soft in the middle. I prepare it by beating a couple eggs and adding milk. Then I just dip the bread in and grill. Sounds simple but mine never turns out. Can you give me some french toast making tips? Thank You Stacy in NE
    False
  • RE: How do I make french toast that isn't soggy?
    Stacy...I have found that using Texas Toast bread works better for French Toast. Also, if I'm making large amounts, I put my finished french toast on a baking sheet in the warm oven to keep it toasty.
    False
    I use the dennys french toast clone. this recips has added flour to the egg mixture
    False
    Thank you Judylynn and flipper. Judylynn - I do need to cook for a crowd - so what temperature should I set the oven to if I want to keep the toast warm?

Flipper - would love to have the denny's french toast clone. Thank You Stacy

bump
    False
    My oven has a "warm" setting on it, but I think anything below 250 should be fine.
    False
    Thank You Judylnn

Bump for Flipper
    False
    1/2 cup all purpose flour
    l tablespoon plus (l l/2) teaspoon sugar
    l/4 salt
    2 cups milk
    6 eggs
    about l8 plices FRENCH BREAD l inch thick.
    l tablespoon butter

beat flour,sugar,salt,milk,eggs with hand beater untill smooth,.....soak bread in egg mixture until saturated.

heat butter in skillet untill melted. (i use a electric gridle)cook bread until golden brown (about 8 mins on each side...

(sometimes when done cooking i sprinke toast with powderd sugar)

my family also likes this...

honey spread
    beat l/4 cup butter,l/4 cup honey spread on toast....sometimes i add cinn or even nutmeg...
    False
    Here you go DaisyDuke. This is courtesy of Top Secret Recipes.
    Patti

4 eggs
    2/3 cup whole milk
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    1/3 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    6 slices thick bread (such as Texas toast)
    3 tablespoons butter

Garnish
    powdered sugar
    butter

On the side
    maple syrup
    French toast test kitchen.

1. Whisk together eggs, milk, flour, sugar, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
    2. Heat a large cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium/low heat. When the pan is hot, add 1 tablespoon of butter. If butter smokes, your pan is too hot, turn down the heat.
    3. Drop each bread slice into the batter for about 30 seconds per side. Let some of the batter drip off then drop the bread into the buttered pan. Cook each battered bread slice for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side or until golden brown. Add more butter to the pan as needed to cook all the french toast.
    4. Serve three slices of french toast per plate. Dust each serving with a little powdered sugar (tap it through a strainer), with some maple syrup on the side. (http://www.topsecretrecipes.com)

Makes 2 servings.
    False
    DaisyDuke,
    Forgot to put in my heading, but this is the Denny's french toast clone.
    False
    Thank you very much for the recipes. I hadn't thought of using french bread or texas toast but I'll give it a try. Thanks Again Have a great weekend. Stacy

bump
    False
    I tried Texas toast this morning and it was much better than regular bread. It wasn't eggy in the middle. I used one egg and milk for 5 pieces. I am anxious to try the Denny's recipe one of these days. Thanks Again Stacy
    False
    bump
    False
  • Re: How do I make french toast that isn't soggy?

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to comment that I made this recipe tonight and it was the best French toast we've ever had!

False

Thank you for this recipe.Yes

False

Wattle Paradise

I use sourdough bread for French toast. It has a kind of chewiness that we like.

False