What to do with a tuna steak? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What to do with a tuna steak?

Last post May 23, 2004 8:36 AM by pmaclean . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • What to do with a tuna steak?
    I have a few tuna steaks here and I haven't single clue what to do with it. I tried making it last week--never had tuna steak before. Tasted very tangy and dry--I seasoned it with salt and pepper and dill and grilled it on my George Foreman grill...giggles...something tells me it can taste better.

Any ideas?
    Thank you so much!

Amy
    False
  • RE: What to do with a tuna steak?
    Oh, tuna steaks are one of my very favorite things!!!

We love them when they have been marinated in Italian dressing, then grilled. Watch grilling them, so that they don't dry out.

You will be a happy girl when you make them correctly!! :)

False
    We always do ours on the Weber grill using the indirect method. Sometimes we add a few apple wood chips to give them a slighly smokey flavor. We love them, and they're nice and moist that way. Good Luck!
    False
    Cathy "What Contemptible Scoundrel Stole The Cork From My Lunch" --- W.C. Fields
    Mmm both ideas sound tasty! Thanks!
    False
    There are different kinds of tuna steaks. You have the yellowfin tuna that is the best for grilling. There is also a bluefin tuna and a blackfin tuna.

Best with an herb rub on the outside and pan seared. You need to leave the inside rare because if you cook it completely thru like a steak it becomes something not quit edible. Cook it like a good steak and I think you will find it is better than steak. And no rare is not raw. I gave this recipe to someone else and they didnt like the idea of eating it raw but rare is having been cooked. :)

If you do want to grill the marinade idea is good but again sear it and leave the inside rare. If you can go to a restaurant and have a tuna steak done by them and see how you like it. This is how they normally prepare theirs.

Phil

You can also make a super tuna salad with pan/grill seared tuna. Go to foodtv.com and do a search for tuna. Emeril and Sarah and Wolfgang have several good recipes there.
    False
    Phil--thank you som uch for educating me! I knew nothing about tuna steaks. I am ashamed to say I don't even know what kind it is I have. LOL Thank you for the tip on foodtv.com--and I do feel a little better about not cooking it thru. That's what I did last time and lemme tell you--wrong just plain wrong. Was chewy and sour tasting. LOL Thanks again!

Amy
    False
    Amy the best to look for is the ahi tuna which is the yellowfin tuna and the one they use for sushi. As such it can be eaten raw but that is the best one to grill.

Blackfin tuna is really popular down in Florida. Bluefin along the east coast. Yellowfin out of the Gulf of Mexico is the best.

The day Rachael Ray made the tuna salad with the grilled tuna I almost couldnt stand it because it looked so good. She sliced it like a steak and added boiled eggs and lettuce and tomatoes and other stuff. And it was a great looking presentation. You may even check her site out on foodtv.

Take care

Phil
    False
    I put my tuna steaks on the grill drizzled with olive oil and a little lemon pepper and cook it and make homemade tuna salad out of it with the onions, pickles, a dab of mustard and salad dressing. I tell ya, it spoils you from ever wanting to have another can of tuna, the grilled it wonderful. Connie
    False
    MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm my favorite fish!! We like it blackened I buy Chef Paul Prudomme (sp?) Blackend Red Fish Magic and follow the directions on the package! Its awesome!
    False
    Feel free to substitute any salmon or swordfish recipes that you find that sound good. They have a similar texture. Dish1Up.
    False
    Wow all these awesome ideas! I was feeling kinda weighted down from the tuna--not having fun with it. But with all these ideas--I see there are many ways to prepare it. Rather than the standard pan fry or lemon pepper and grilled. Thank you all so much for opening my eyes to this fish. I may just like it next time around!

Will post next week when I make it again! =-D
    False
    This is my best recipe... and I have a lot.

Tuna Steak Marinade
    2/3 C. soy sauce
    1/2 C. dark sesame oil
    2 tsp. chili powder
    1 tsp. cayenne pepper
    1 tsp. minced garlic
    1/3 C. dry sherry or rice wine
    1/4 C. minced fresh ginger

Marinade the tuna steaks for 30 minutes. Grill tuna over medium hot coals for 5 minutes per side for 1-inch thick tuna steaks… less time for thinner steaks.
    False