DH's Grandma died..need ideas for funeral potluck | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

DH's Grandma died..need ideas for funeral potluck

Last post Apr 21, 2004 2:58 AM by grazer . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • DH's Grandma died..need ideas for funeral potluck
    His grandma died about 1:30 this morning. Does anyone have any ideas to take to the potluck after the funeral? Thanks.
    False
    ***It doesn't matter how hot a guy is because there is some poor woman, somewhere, sick of his crap!!***
  • RE: DH's Grandma died..need ideas for funeral potluck
    How about cakes, brownies, lemon squares, big pots of pasta with sauce on it, Sausage and beans, Green beans almondine, sliced ham, potato salad, pasta salad, fruit salad, and rolls.

Those are just some of the things I've done for funeral luncheons in the past.

~Lori~
    False
    Oh and please accept my condolences, I'll keep you and your dh in my thoughts and prayers.

~Lori~
    False
    I'm sorry for your loss.
    How far do you have to travel? You could take a spaghetti casserole (make spaghetti but use rotini pasta instead of noodles and mix it all up with some Parmesan and mozzarella cheese); or a big pot of soup or chili; if traveling further, maybe a dessert or pick up a meat and cheese platter at a grocery store when you get there? Hope this helps, or that you get some other ideas.

E
    False
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

I would suggest some meatballs in the crock pot. You can always use them for sandwiches or to top pasta.

Judy
    False
    Thanks. It's here in town, so it will take all of 10 minutes to get there.

I was wondering about a BLT pasta salad or a pepperoni pasta salad that I think I saw in a TOH. Or maybe a pot of cowboy beans??

Shoot. I just don't know. :-/
    False
    ***It doesn't matter how hot a guy is because there is some poor woman, somewhere, sick of his crap!!***
    sorry to hear of your loss.
    Scalloped potatoes and ham always go well for a potluck such as this. I would say make in crockpot so you do not have to fuss with it right before the funeral. You can make ahead of time. Chicken stroganoff, or beef stroganoff in crockpot is good too.
    False
    Chowlady, I am so sorry to hear of your lost.
    Make a huge pasta salad or fruit salad.
    ceeare
    False
    Chowlady, I am sorry for your loss. You may want to make it easy on yourself if you can afford to, and order a platter from a deli or grocer you like. Unless cooking is therapeutic for you, and I understand that, too.

... couple of days after my mom passed, I found I made almond cake with no almond paste in it -- had to scrape back into bowl to mix in. Came out ok though. LOL!

((((Chowlady))))
    False
    "I try to avoid serving inedible substances to my guests." VinnyD
    Broccoli Casserole

1/2 stick butter
    4 T flour
    2 Cups milk
    4 hard boiled eggs
    1 10 oz pakg chopped frozen broccoli cooked
    5 oz sharp cheddar cheese grated
    1o soda crackers crumbled.

Melt butter over low heat and add flour and salt stirring to thick paste. Gradually add milk while stirring costantly to bleend into smooth sauce. Cook over low heat or in double boiler until thickened . Place brocoli eggs cheese and sauce in a 2 quart buttered casserole in alternate layers repeating until all ingredients are used. Melt 4 tablespoons butter in small pan and stir in crumbeled crackers until well coated. Sprinle this over top of casserole and place in 350 oven for 30-45 minutes.
    False
    Sour Cream Spinach

Cook 2 10 oz pakgs frozen chopped spinach , drain, add 1 pkg dry onion soup mix and 1 cup sour cream. Spoon into shallow buttered casserole. Top with 1 1/4 cups fine cracke crumbs and 1/4 cup grated cheese . Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes.
    False
    Noodle Casserole

12 oz egg noodles
    1 lb cream style corn
    1 lb sharp cheddar cheese1 8 oz can tomato sauce
    1/4 cup butter
    1 large onion chopped fine
    1 large bell pepper chopped fine
    1 8 oz can sliced black olives
    3 slices bacon

Sautee onion and bell peppers in butter. Mix in a large bowl onion, peeper,corn and tomato sauce. Cook noodles in salt water and drain. Have a large baking dish well greased. Put a layer of noodles, layer of sauce and a layer of cheese and repeat unitil all ingredients are used. Top with bacon slices. Bake in a 350 oven for about 45 minutes until bacon is browned and the sauce and noodles appear to be well blended.
    False
    Spinach Dip

1 pkg frozen spinach drained
    1 pkg Knorr's vegatable soup
    1 small chopped onion
    1 Cup sour cream
    dash lemon juice
    chopped water chesnuts

add everything together and chill over night. Serve in a large hollowed out bread bowl with bread, crackers, mini carrots and celery.

False
    Chicken Casserole

4 chicken breasts boiled and deboned
    1 stick butter
    1 pkg. stuffing mix
    2 cans cream of chicken soup
    2 cans chicken broth

Layer ingredients:

1/2 stuffing mixture
    1/2 chicken shredded
    1 can broth
    1 can soup
    Repat layers

Sprinle remaining stuffing on top
    Bake at 350 for 45 minutes
    False
    Carrot Salad with Raisins and Nuts
    Grate 4 large carrots into a bowl and add:

1/2 cup seedless raisins
    1/2 cup coarsly chopped pecans
    3/4 t sakt
    freshlet ground black pepper
    2 t grated lemon zest
    1 t lemon juice

Place the salad in a boul cover it with 1/2 xup sour cream mixed with 1/2 cup miraxle whip.

Refrigerate overnite.
    False