Paula Deen's The Lady & Sons restaurant | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Paula Deen's The Lady & Sons restaurant

Last post Apr 03, 2010 12:48 AM by tjarriel_AK . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • Paula Deen's The Lady & Sons restaurant
    We're leaving Sunday to go to Charleston, SC and Savannah. Plan on eating at Paula Deens restaurant. Has anyone gone there? Any other places to go eat at either place?
    False
  • RE: Paula Deen's The Lady & Sons restaurant
    I have not eaten there but I love her show on Food Network and her cookbooks.

Rachel Ray on "$40 A Day" went to Charleston and ate at the following restaurants which looked good. Sorry I don't have the addresses but I'm sure you can find them when you get to Charleston:

Middletown Place
    Hominy Grill
    Jestine's Kitchen.

I hope you have a good time. I've heard Charleston is a neat place.

Grazer
    False
    I went there 2 years ago because of a special on FoodTV. You know how they feature restaurants...this is before she had her own show. Well, that year my sisters decided to visit Savannah while I wanted to go North (love Vermont). So since I lost the battle but remembered The Lady & Son restaurant, I used this to satisfy my curiosity. I agreed to go (we use my car) as long as I got to pick the restaurant. We all enjoyed it. I had the southern buffet they featured on FoodTV (excellent) & sisters ordered off the menu. They each loved their choices too. So I don't think you can make a mistake here. It was in the historic district & not too far from the waterfront.

The whole city is beautiful with parks all over the town. You might want to take a tour which is what we did. We also took a boat ride, which I would not waste my time or money on again. Its in the river there but also in an industrial area so not scenic. Down in the waterfront there are many restaurants to pick from. You might want to read the Garden of Good & Evil which is still promoted there. They filmed it in Savannah.

On our way back home we stopped off in Charleston. Truly beautiful city also with an outside market. We took horse pulled ride around the area & they pointed out the various piazzas to us. Beautiful architecture. We couldn't walk too much as it was scorching hot.

Sorry I don't remember too many details but I would love to go back. Ooh, the magnolia trees were beautiful.

Diane
    False

Diane

I would love to go there. Please tell us all about it when you return. Have a great trip.

Barb
    False
    I'm sorry, I will not be at home before Saturday, so I can't look the name up. But, there is a restaurant down on the Riverwalk in Savannah. If you start at the end farthest to the left, then go down about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way, start checking the menus posted on the windows. This was a small restaurant, but it had a delicious meal called "Pine Bark Stew." It has shrimp, polish sausage, potatoes, corn on the cob, etc. If fills an entire platter and is delicious! They will give you the recipe if you ask for it. For seafood, take the drive out to Tybee Island. Just after you take the bridge over the marsh lands and onto the island, there is a seafood restaurant on your left. It is a family restaurant, and the seafood is delicious! I hope you can find these!
    False
    Thanks so much for your suggestions. I've been to Charleston before. Its one of our favorite places but we've never been to Savannah. I have an anesthesia meeting in Charleston over the weekend so we just decided to leave early and make a vacation out of it. Will let you know how it was when we get back.

Paula
    False
    Hi there, I have never been to Paula Deen's resturant but have family that lives in the area. They said it is almost impossible to get in there without reservations. You might try to get some, wouldn't want you to miss out. Enjoy,K Ohio
    False
    Hi Gram,

We lived in Savannah for 3 years (inlaws still live there). IMHO, The Lady & Sons is somewhat overrated. Due to her popularity on the Food Network, it may well be hard to get in! A GREAT place to go is Mrs. Wilkes' Boardinghouse. It is downtown, on Jones Street. The food is outstanding southern fare. Mrs. Wilkes died last fall, but her family still runs the business. Her son in law has been doing the cooking for years.

If you want seafood, check out The River House or The Shrimp Factory, both on River Street. They have great desserts, too!! There are really good places out on Tybee Island, as well.

One of my favorite places to eat was Churchill's Pub, which serves traditional English food. It was on either Drayton or Whitaker Streets-can't remember which!

Have fun!

Oh, and take plenty of insect repellant. The sand gnats are horrible!!!

Ask a local (like someone working in one of the shops) where to eat.
    False
    Hyman's Seafood is something not to be missed in Charleston! My husband and I ate there twice when we were down there for just a three day weekend excursion! It is close to
    Charleston Place where we stayed. It isn't fancy, but I will warn you that if you don't go early enough you will wait in line. They have the best shecrab soup that you will ever eat. I could have lived off that stuff. Try to get a table close to the windows and look out over the road and watch people walk by why you dine. Also the tables have plaques that tell who has dined at them (movie stars, race car drivers, ball players that have stayed at Charleston Place while filming in Charleston). It is a not to be missed place!

Patti
    False
    Hi, I have not eaten at Paula's place but we went to all the shops on the waterfront and they are so nice, I remember the candy store because they give out samples of the best pralines, and they are still warm, and a Christmas shop is lovely too by the way I just borrowed a cookbook from the library called Mrs Wilkes Boardinghouse cook book, it is lovely and tells her story with pictures too. I know you will enjoy yourself...another great place is in Chapel Hill N.C it is Mama Dibs place, I have her cookbook too, she is quite a lady also.....Shirley
    False
    http://www.ladyandsons.com/

Their site even has the menu on it. I have never been but my sis & BIL went. They enjoyed it!

Have a great trip and remember to share when you get back!!
    False

cilla / NW FL

Gram - my DD is a big Paula Dean fan and just had to go to her restaurant last fall while in Savannah with friends. They had reservations and ate the buffet. She said the food was good but not as good as "my mama's". So I guess that's a compliment for me.

She did enjoy crablegs at a place on Tybee Island called the Crab Shack. She said you eat at tables outside and there's holes in the middle of the table to throw the peelings when eating crablegs and boiled shrimp. I hope you have a great time!

Jane
    False
  • Re: Paula Deen's The Lady & Sons restaurant

I live in Charleston- Magnolia's is by far my favorite place!  It is pricy, but well worth the splurge!  The other restaurants listed are o.k., but I consider a tourist trap.

False
  • Re: RE: Paula Deen's The Lady & Sons restaurant

Rhonda_GA
    Hi Gram,

We lived in Savannah for 3 years (inlaws still live there). IMHO, The Lady & Sons is somewhat overrated. Due to her popularity on the Food Network, it may well be hard to get in! A GREAT place to go is Mrs. Wilkes' Boardinghouse. It is downtown, on Jones Street. The food is outstanding southern fare. Mrs. Wilkes died last fall, but her family still runs the business. Her son in law has been doing the cooking for years.

I agree with Rhonda_GA on both accounts. TL&S is WAY overrated. We had a reservation and waited over an hour past our reservation. Awful. My DH like the fried chicken at The Pirate's House much better. The Pirate's House is great and a fun place... each room is different. Mrs. Wilkes' is awesome. Never been disappointed in the food. We really liked Paula Deen's brothers' place Bubba's better. Better food, nice staff, not as crowded, although that may have changed.

Be sure to hit River Street Sweets on the River for pralines...they are the best!

Have fun...we love Savannah.

False

Visit my blogs:

www.everythingforkids.wordpress.com

www.partiespartiesparties.wordpress.com

Stop signs are NOT a suggestion! 

Talk Like A Pirate Day countdown banner

Dear Math: I am not your therapist...solve your own problems!

• Re: Paula Deen's The Lady & Sons restaurant

Have a great time and let us know how your trip was.  Someday I'll make it there!

False