A brisket by any other name? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

A brisket by any other name?

Last post Apr 30, 2004 3:18 PM by quiltrmom_nh . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • A brisket by any other name?
    Hi EVeryone: I keep seeing recipes calling for beef brisket. In my area Supermarkets do not put out a section of beef labelled brisket. What part of the steer is it? The flank steak? I do know it is not apparently a tender cut. Help please. Thanks Marlene
    False
  • RE: A brisket by any other name?
    Marlene I just checked in 3 of my meat cookbooks and can not find another name for brisket. The best thing to do is to ask the butcher to point it out to you.
    It comes from behind the shank which is the front leg area. It is a great tasting meat that after prepared you need to slice against the grain of the meat and then it can be sliced with a fork.
    It is also used for making corned beef.
    Where are you from if I may ask?
    Here in Texas brisket is as common as hamburger. lol

Nancy

False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

If it helps, it is the cut used for making corned beef... so if you know anyone who makes corned beef in your area they would know what its called there.
    False
    Queenie--I'm in MI, and briskets are not that easy to find. When you do, you really pay $$$ for it. I wanted to make BBQ brisket, so I asked my butcher for one. He specail ordered it for me. I did find one once at Kroger...the butcher said they'd gotten a case by accident, decided to sell them rather then send them back.

:)
    False
    Whooo Weeee! Ain't nothin' like a chunk of brisket smoked and BBQed next to a heap of potato salad on a hot summer day, washed down with a huge glass of fresh squoze lemonade! Yum, yum, yum, yum, yum.

John
    False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”
    I guess I'm lucky to live in Okla. where beef brisket is very common. I'm lived in three states, Kans, Mo. and Okla. and all of these states have brisket all the time. I agree, it is some good tasting meat.

Mapanda
    False

If your spirit is grateful and humble / your tongue won't constantly grumble.
    I live in NH where brisket is not common. I have found it most easily duing the Jewish holidays in the fall (usually Sept.), winter (late Nov./early Dec.), and spring (around Easter). It is the same cut that they make corned beef out of and I would suppose you could try it on flank steak as they are similar in that they need lots of cooking time in a wet "environment". I just buy brisket when I see it and freeze it (which it does well). Sometime my relative who live in Jersey import it for me when they come to visit!
    False