kiwi-pepper jelly | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

kiwi-pepper jelly

Last post May 09, 2004 1:19 AM by WATTLE . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • kiwi-pepper jelly
    I tried some fabulous kiwi-pepper jelly at a farmers market in CA a couple of years ago. I would love to re-create it. Any ideas? I'm not an experienced canner (only one time) but I'd like to give this one a shot!
    False
  • RE: kiwi-pepper jelly
    bump
    False

I just posted this recently for Maddymoo after I stumbled upon it one day. There's no kiwi in it, but it is a Pepper Jelly recipe.

Easy Pepper Jelly
    3/4 lb. bell pepper (2 cups), seeded and chopped
    1/2 lb. jalapeño peppers
    6 c. sugar
    1 1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
    1 (8 oz.) pkg. strawberry or cherry Jell-O
    OR 1 (6 oz.) bottle liquid pectin
    Remove all seeds from peppers before grinding. Grind peppers finely and add to sugar and vinegar. Save juice from ground peppers. Bring peppers, sugar and vinegar to a boil; boil for 15 minutes. Add Jell-O and juice from peppers. Boil for 3 more minutes. Pour into sterilized jars and seal with paraffin.
    Cook's notes: Delicious as a condiment with meat, or great with cheese and crackers. Wear gloves while preparing peppers, or your hands will burn.
    From the kitchen of Shirley Ingram, Crossville

Arlene
    False
    thanks! I'm going to try to do a little experimenting with this one. I wonder if I'd have to add more pectin to get it to set. Maybe I could cut back a little on the bell peppers and substitute kiwi?
    False
    I saw some posts about setting. I'll try and bump it up for you.

Arlene
    False
    Here's some prior posts for reference. Hope this helps.

Subject: Pepper Jelly ????? HELP!!
    Posted by: HummingbirdDelaware Replies: 4 Posted on: 8/21/2003 10:21:03 AM
    #T219525
    I made pepper jelly this morning, how long does it take to setup? When I poured into jars if sure was thin? Did I screw up? Also, I made with all green peppers, it looks like pond scum
    Posted by: ChocolateQueen Posted on: 8/21/2003 11:15:13 AM
    #R2028106
    Many jam and jelly recipes say to allow to set on counter overnight. This is because as they cool they set. My blueberry cherry preserves were very thin too. They did set after sitting on the counter for 24 hours. I would give it time. Regarding the color I am not sure what to tell you.
    Posted by: plumcrazy_alta Posted on: 8/21/2003 11:15:21 AM
    #R2028107
    it is thin when you put into jars. If you don't put food coloring in it does look gross but when you put it on the cream cheese on the cracker it looks fine. I'm sure it will turn out. Normally doesn't set real good until it is completely cool.
    False
    Bump.
    False

Wattle Paradise