colored powdered sugar ? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

colored powdered sugar ?

Last post Nov 04, 2007 10:59 AM by dhsmom2 . 2 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
  • colored powdered sugar ?
    Can powdered sugar be colored?

I have a recipe for Muddy Buddies, a cereal snack coated with powdered sugar. I had a thought if I could get powdered sugar colored then I could make this in team colors for our upcoming tailgating.

Muddy Buddies
    1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
    1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
    1/4 cup butter
    1 tsp. vanilla
    9 cups Chex or Chex type cereal, any variety
    1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Stovetop or microwave, heat chololate chips, peanut butter and butter, stirring frequently, until melted. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla. Pour chocolate mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Pour cereal into a 2-qt storage bag; add powdered sugar. Seal bag, and shake until well coated. Spread on waxed paper to cool, about 30 minutes. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator.

Gina
    False
  • RE: colored powdered sugar ?
    Found this on-line:

Tint powdered sugar. It is possible to dye powdered sugar in two forms.
    TINT: Supplies - Assorted food coloring and 1/2 lb. Confectioners Sugar. To Make - Place confectioners sugar in a blender. Make a small well in the center and place a drop of food coloring into the well. Blend until sugar is evenly tinted.
    PETAL DUST: For dry powdered sugar, there is a wonderful product sold in cake decorating stores called Petal Dust, a very concentrated powdered color that comes in small plastic pots. The range of color is enormous and you use a toothpick to transfer a tiny amount of the Petal Dust to one cup or so of powdered sugar at a time. Stir with the toothpick and add Petal Dust until a desired shade is achieved. The powdered sugar may then be sprinkled over the surface for decoration or over a stencil.
    TINT POWDERED SUGAR ICING: The second way to dye powdered sugar would be the more traditional wet method, where powdered sugar is mixed with a small amount of liquid, such as milk or freshly squeezed lemon juice, and then liquid food coloring is added to achieve the desired color. This actually creates a frosting that may then be smoothed over cupcakes; it will not result in colored, individual granules.

http://www.baking911.com/decorating/tinting_sugar_coconut.htm
    False
  • RE: colored powdered sugar ?
    Thanks bunches!!!
    False