Help roasting turkey in a Roaster Oven 18 qt Hamilton Beach | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Help roasting turkey in a Roaster Oven 18 qt Hamilton Beach

Last post Nov 14, 2012 4:46 AM by annrms . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • Help roasting turkey in a Roaster Oven 18 qt Hamilton Beach
    I've never done a turkey in one of these before & need help please.
    Can I stuff the turkey? How long is it going to take per lb per minute & @ what temp?
    We have to go to Erin's for Thanksgiving as Chris can not travel. She has a roaster oven she has never used & directions do not mention stuffing the turkey times.
    Thanks,
    Marie
    False
  • RE: Help roasting turkey in a Roaster Oven 18 qt Hamilton Beach
    I bumped some posts up for you. I am not certain if stuffing was mentioned in them. Maybe someone that has done this can answer.

Alliea
    False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Marie-I do my every year in my 18 qt roaster and I cook it on 325º for about 3 1/2 hrs for a 12 pound one it is falling off the bone

The oven will only do a turkey up to about 20 pounds. You need to leave the lid on, or the temp gets too variable. Water in the bottom steams the meat, as does the foil, some folks like this, I don't. Using the screen rack is a good idea, the heating coil is right under the bottom of the well and it can scorch and stick right there.

If you are not carving at the table, turkey parts are easier to roast in this small oven.

Temps and times are about the same as for a regular oven, do not stuff the turkey, it does not heat evenly enough to be completely satisfactory. To roast turkey:
    Preheat electric roaster to 350 to 400 degrees.
    *Roast a 10 to 14 lb. turkey for 12 to 17 minutes per pound.
    *Roast a 14 to 20 lb. turkey for 13 to 18 minutes per pound.

False
    In loving memory of Suzy

Redraspberrygirl Posted on: 11/16/2006 11:31:14 PM
    #R8361491
    How to Roast Turkey
    One 14 to 22 pound turkey, fresh or frozen
    Poultry seasoning
    Salt
    Pepper
    1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
    1 teaspoon browning sauce such as Kitchen Bouquet®(optional)

Preheat 18 quart Nesco® Roaster Oven to 400º F. If you have a 12 quart Nesco®, a maximum 14 pound turkey is recommended. Cooking times (per pound) remain the same.

Clean and rinse turkey. Pat dry. Remove neck and giblets. If desired, prepare separately. Place turkey on rack. Use a pastry brush to spread mixture of butter and browning sauce evenly over turkey skin. Season with poultry seasoning, salt and pepper.

Determine length of roasting time, normally 15 to 20 minutes per pound. A stuffed turkey will add 30 to 45 minutes to total roasting time.

Stuff cavity, if desired. Cover. Roast one hour at 400º F. With baster, remove any liquid and fat from cavity of bird and cookwell. Set aside to make gravy. Brush bird with basting liquid or butter mixture.

Reduce temperature to 350º F. Roast for remainder of cooking time. Use baster, to remove any liquid from cavity of bird and from cookwell when cooking time is about half-way through. If dry, baste turkey with basting liquids.

If turkey isn't as brown as you like it, increase temperature to 400º F. Roast remaining portion of time.

False

Posted by: DYLAN_WN Posted on: 11/17/2006 8:41:24 AM
    #R8362151
    ck, the first year I roasted a turkey i used the recipe RRG posted, the 400 then drop to 350, is way too hot, the next 3 years I cooked the entire time @ 325 and it was perfect, I did not use a cooking bag,the turkey was stuffed, just basted like it was in a regular oven. Good luck, and Happy Thanksgiving. Judy

Posted by: candykisses_Oklahoma Posted on: 11/17/2006 9:08:57 AM
    #R8362238
    I think, when I do it, I'll just cook it at 325 for 15-20 minutes per pound.

False

http://ochef.com/872.htm

Thought this was interesting...not about the stuffing...but about it being "steamed" in a roaster verses getting crispy....
    False
    I usually don't stuff my Turkey any more as we need more dressing than can go in the bird. So I do my stuffing in the crockpot and my Turkey in the roaster. As long as the lid is on, I find it's just like an oven for heat.

Sharon
    False
    Can You Stuff a Stuffed Turkey in a Roaster Oven?

I usually stuff a turkey and roast it in a conventional oven. Can I safely stuff a 20-lb. turkey and steam it in a Rival roaster oven, or are the cooking times in the directions for the roaster only for an unstuffed turkey?
    If you can get every last bit of stuffing in that turkey up to 165°F (75°C), then yes, you can safely steam a stuffed turkey in a roaster oven. The manufacturer’s instructions, however, clearly speak only to an unstuffed turkey, and here’s why: you lose a significant amount of heat from the roaster every time you open the top to check the turkey, increasing the cooking time an unknown amount. How are you ever to get the stuffing to the right temperature without A) checking/losing heat, checking/losing heat (and not being ready for Thanksgiving diner until Friday), or B) not checking until the stuffing is almost certainly done but the breast meat is like shoe leather? The chances of hitting it just right are pretty slim, especially as it will take a long time for the stuffing to cook through in such a large turkey.

If you carefully read the roaster’s cooking-time/temperature instructions, you will also see that they allow you to cook a very large “pre-basted” turkey (up to 22 pounds), but a fresh turkey only up to about 14 pounds, and that they estimate it will take two minutes more per pound for the fresh turkey. Again, this is because they know you are going to want to open the top to baste and fuss over your fresh bird, while the average person will just let the self-basting turkey sit and sit until it is probably done (also, because of the fat in the self-basting turkey, it will taste moister even if it is overdone, so there is more margin for error).

That is an interesting article Zakons. TY This above is also from the site you posted.Alliea
    False

I have always made my turkey in a Nesco roaster and have always stuffed the cavity of the bird with good results. I use the browning sauce and have noticed the wings get done really fast. As soon as they are brown, I wrap the wings with aluminum foil.

Julie
    False

can i use a oven bag in the roaster.. first year cooking a turkey in a roaster i will need to  have a 20# turkey

False

According to the Reynolds site, no.

http://www.reynoldsovenbags.com/faq.aspx

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

This is the answer from the site Sue mentioned. But I don't understand that because the insert pan completely covers the elements on the bottom of the roaster and up the sides so how can the bag be exposed to the element? I used a bag last year in mine with no problems. Will do so again this year.

ANo, The possibility of exposing the bag to the heating elements or to heat extremes makes this cooking method unacceptable for bags. For the same reason, do not use oven bags in toaster ovens or any type of grill

False

I have used a roaster for many years for a 15-18 pound turkey.  I do not stuff it with the dressing; rather, I put in cut up onions, garlic, celery, apples, & oranges in the cavity and on the bottom of the roaster.  I put the turkey breast side down, place the probe of a Polder thermometer (the kind that has the cable that attaches to the thermometer that is outside of the oven) and I take a triple layer of heavy duty tinfoil and make a tight seal over the roaster.  I start the temp at 400* for 30 minutes then turn it down to 325*  for another 3-3 1/2 hours.  I remove the turkey to a roasting pan (to catch the juices), tent it with the foil cover, and let it sit for at least 30 minutes.  I make the gravy with the strained pan juices.  (Very flavorful) I carve in the kitchen.  I cook the stuffing in a low oven in a covered casserole, and I baste it with a broth I make from the neck bone and wing tips.  We don't eat the skin so the fact that it is not brown and crispy is OK with us!!

False

AnnStar