DIVINITY FROM BOXED FLUFFY WHITE FROSTING MIX | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

DIVINITY FROM BOXED FLUFFY WHITE FROSTING MIX

Last post Nov 06, 2007 8:19 AM by Bakinfreekster . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • DIVINITY FROM BOXED FLUFFY WHITE FROSTING MIX
    In the December issue of Southern Living (saw this in the store)was a recipe for Divinity Frosting and Divinity candy using this mix. Don't remember exactly, but it used 1/2 cup boiling water some vanilla and beat it with a mixer until it reached spreadable consistency. Nuts could be added if desired.

Has anyone tried this version? Sure would save a lot of time if the candy turned out well. I have made divinity the old fashioned way for 40+ years and most of the time it does good but I still experience the occasional flop. Thanks for any input. Shelby
    False
  • RE: DIVINITY FROM BOXED FLUFFY WHITE FROSTING MIX
    sure hope someone has the recipe---
    I had made this years ago and forgot all about it and no longer have my recipe box.
    It was a great way to make divinity.
    willie
    False

RE: Farm Journal Homemade Candy Divinity and Nougat
    Posted by: moonchild_oh_34f Posted on: 6/5/2005 6:40:25 PM
    #R5829119
    * Exported from MasterCook *

No-Cook Divinity

Recipe By :Food Editors of Farm Journal
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Divinity and Nougat

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 (6.5 ounce) package fluffy white frosting mix
    1/3 cup light corn syrup
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 cup boiling water
    1 pound confectioners sugar
    Food color -- optional
    1/3 cup pecan halves (60)

Combine frosting mix, corn syrup, vanilla and boiling water in small size bowl of electric mixer; beat on high speed until soft peaks form. Transfer to large mixing bowl and beat on low speed, gradually adding confectioners sugar. Add food color if desired. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper. At once top each piece with a pecan half. Allow to dry 12 hours or overnight.

Description: "Pretty, airy and fast to make."
    Source: "Homemade Candy"
    S(Formatted by): "Moonchild2488"
    Copyright: "1970 Farm Journal, Inc."
    Yield: "60 pieces"

False

I have made this version before and it is very good!
    False

RE: Recipes: The Desserts and Sweets
    Posted by: blueridge_va Posted on: 7/31/2005 9:57:16 AM
    #R6128388

Divinity Frosting

This recipe goes with Pecan Divinity Cake

1 (7.2-ounce) package home-style fluffy white frosting mix
    1/2 cup boiling water
    1/3 cup light corn syrup
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 (16-ounce) package powdered sugar
    1 1/2 cups chopped pecans, toasted

Place first 4 ingredients in a 4-quart mixing bowl.
    Beat at low speed with a heavy-duty electric mixer 1 minute or until mixture is blended.
    Beat mixture at high speed 3 to 5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until blended.
    Stir in toasted pecans.
    Spread Divinity Frosting immediately on cake.

Note: For testing purposes only, we used Betty Crocker Home Style Fluffy White Frosting Mix.

Makes about 4 1/2 cups.

Southern Living DECEMBER 2001
    False

Thanks for the feedback and for posting the recipes. The frosting recipe sounds like a good choice for a fresh coconut cake. I make a divinity frosting, but it seems to disappear into the cake after a day or so. Maybe this one from a powder will hold up better. Shelby
    False
    Clemantine,
    This is a Southern Living recipe from 2001. It is almost identical to moonchild's that dutchmom posted. The SL one does have a cherry variation at the bottom, in case you want to try something different. It also uses chopped pecans instead of pecan halves. I'm thinking SL's version was definitely "inspired" by Farm Journal's version. :)

Here it is:

Divinity Candy

1 (7.2-ounce) package home-style fluffy white frosting mix
    1/2 cup boiling water
    1/3 cup light corn syrup
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 (16-ounce) package powdered sugar
    1 1/2 cups chopped pecans, toasted
    Toasted pecan halves

Place first 4 ingredients in a 4-quart mixing bowl. Beat at low speed with a heavy-duty electric mixer 1 minute or until mixture is blended. Beat mixture at high speed 3 to 5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until blended. Stir in chopped nuts. Drop mixture by rounded tablespoonfuls onto wax paper. Garnish with toasted pecan halves. Let stand 8 hours; remove to wire racks, and let stand 8 more hours or until bottom of candy is firm. Store in airtight containers.

Divinity Candy With Sugared Maraschino Cherries: Substitute Sugared Maraschino Cherries for toasted pecan halves. Drop mixture by rounded tablespoonfuls onto wax paper. Press tip of a lightly greased wooden spoon handle into center of each piece of candy, making an indentation. Let stand as directed. Place 1 Sugared Maraschino Cherry in each indentation just before serving.

Yield
    Makes 5 dozen

Southern Living, DECEMBER 2001
    False
    And here's the recipe for Sugared Maraschino Cherries in case anyone wants to try the cherry version of Southern Living's divinity recipe.

Sugared Maraschino Cherries with Mint Sprigs

16 to 20 maraschino cherries with stems, rinsed and well drained
    12 to 16 fresh mint sprigs, rinsed
    1 1/3 cups powdered sugar
    1/3 cup water
    1 tablespoon meringue powder
    1/2 cup sugar

Place cherries and mint on paper towels, and let stand until completely dry.
    Beat powdered sugar, 1/3 cup water, and meringue powder at medium speed with an electric mixer 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth and creamy.

Brush cherries and mint sprigs with meringue mixture, using a small paintbrush; sprinkle with sugar, and place on a wire rack. Let stand 2 to 3 hours or until dry.

Yield
    Makes 20 cherries and 16 mint sprigs

Southern Living, DECEMBER 2001
    False
    I just bought a box of Betty Crocker Fluffy White mix and the recipe on the box is almost identical.

Although on the box it says to heat the oven to 325 and after dropping onto cookie sheet lined with waxed paper, put the candy in the oven for 5 min. Remove from oven, let stand for 4 hours, then turn them over to dry for another 12 hours. Then store in an airtight container.

My regular homemade recipe doesn't take that long to dry. Most time we can pick it up as soon as I'm finished dropping. At this point I'm not sure which would be the quicker!!!
    False
    It's a good recipe, and brings back memories. I made a big tray of Valentine's day cookies and divinity for kids daycare and preschool. Dropped ds off at daycare with his tray, had other tray in the front seat. I guesss dd throught it was an insult to sit in the backseat, so she unbuckled seatbelt, climbed over in the front, putting her patent leather shoe into the middle of that tray.

I don't think I could go back and do those days over again. I gave her a quick swat on the behind, scraped off the smashed divinity off the tray, filled in the holes with some Valentine candy I was taking to work.

I am so glad those kids are out of the house, show up for dinner occasionally, and both have decent jobs, and fairly self sufficient.

I think I will make some of this divinity this weekend.

Patrice
    False
    False
    Photobucket