REC: Paula Deen's Sweet Potato Balls....with a surprise in the center. | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

REC: Paula Deen's Sweet Potato Balls....with a surprise in the center.

Last post Nov 28, 2007 1:54 PM by two4tea_MN . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • REC: Paula Deen's Sweet Potato Balls....with a surprise in the center.
    I saw these being made on the Paula's Southern Thanksgiving show the other day and they looked different and very easy to make. I like the idea of the hidden marshmallow in the center and I think my grandkids will too.

~Jan~

Sweet Potato Balls

4 large sweet potatoes
    2/3 cup packed brown sugar
    2 tablespoons orange juice
    1 teaspoon orange zest
    1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    2 cups shredded coconut, sweetened
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 large marshmallow per potato ball

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    Bake the potatoes until tender, then peel and mash them. Stir in the brown sugar, orange juice, zest and nutmeg. In a separate bowl, toss the coconut with the sugar and cinnamon. Press mashed potatoes around each marshmallow, creating a 2 to 3-inch diameter ball. Roll the balls in the coconut mixture. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Watch carefully for the last few minutes of cooking; the expanding marshmallows can cause the potato balls to burst open.

False

SCSG Jan blue eyed mouse siggy

~~The most important things in life aren't things!~~ 

• RE: REC: Paula Deen's Sweet Potato Balls....with a surprise in the center.
    They did look good, didn't they, Jan? I think this is something you could make ahead, refrigerate and bake just before serving. None of my kidos will eat coconut, but seems like this recipe used to be rolled in crushed corn flakes or something like that. I think they would like the gooey marshmallow center, though. :)
    Carolyn
    False
    Carolyn I agree, I think you could make them ahead too and putting them in the fridge would probably make them a bit firmer than the finished product on her show. I think if they were rolled in butter coated corn flakes, they would be real good, even in butter coated Rice Krispies sounds good to me and would give a little crunch without breaking teeth LOL.
    Guess I’m like Paula Deen with the butter huh? ;)

~Jan~
    False

You know we girls have to use that butter to make everything good. ha Although I don't even come close to Paula Deen. I'm sure these are an old recipe, so will have to do some checking to find it. Are you going to make them this week?
    Carolyn
    False
    Jan, I just did a search of these and there are tons of recipes - from rolling them in corn flake crumbs to ginger snap crumbs. I think I may do these this year instead of the casserole, which my daughter loves, but is way too sweet for me.
    Carolyn
    False
    Carolyn I'm making Stars
    "Bestest Sweet Potato Casserole Ever". I tried it last year and it's a keeper at my house. I used to make Praline Yams of the Princella Yam can for more years than I can remember but when the family tried Stars it was all over for the Praline Yams.
    I'm not nearly as bad as Paula either but I love the taste that butter gives mixed with either corn flakes of Rice Krispies if it's topping something.

~Jan~
    False

That would be Corn Flakes or Rice Krispies. I get to typing so fast that even proof reading I miss mistakes. I can't wait until they get the edit feature on this BB.

~Jan~
    False

I have a friend who makes these all the time and freezes to have on hand and gave me the recipe. I'm not into marshmallows so I don't make them for myself, but I have made them, frozen them and served them different times and they work out fine and are well received but too sweet for me.

pegg
    False

pegg

yjey do look good
    False

Faith is not demanding what we want; it is trusting God's goodness in spite of life's tragedies. Dave Branon

bump for later
    False