Why do my sheet cake raise so high in the middle? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Why do my sheet cake raise so high in the middle?

Last post Dec 06, 2007 8:24 AM by zingara18 . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • Why do my sheet cake raise so high in the middle?
    I've tried different pans but my 9x13 sheet cakes always rise much higher in the middle than on the sides. The sides seem to shrink down. Anyone have a solution. Thanks.
    False
    Zingara18
  • RE: Why do my sheet cake raise so high in the middle?
    I have always wondered the very same thing... can't wait to see the answer. Thanks for asking!
    False
    If you take narrow strips of terry toweling, and wet them; pin around the outside of your pan. It keeps the edges cooler, and the center and edges cook at the same time, rising more evenly.
    Yep, easier to just trim the top, then flip your cake on it's top. Then frost what had been the bottom of the cake.
    False
    The sides of the pan bake more quickly because they are hotter than the middle (I think). Wilton makes some strips that velcro around the outside of the pan - I think you soak them in water first, to promote more even heating throughout the pan. I have also heard that you should reduce your oven temperature 25 degrees and bake a little longer too. Haven't tried either method though...
    False
    I had a friend who owned a bakery and she said don't preheat the oven, that makes the center rise. It has always worked well for me.
    False
    I guess I did not answer your actual question. The edges of the cake bake first. When each part of the cake gets done, it no longer rises. Since the center of the cake is the last to be finished baking, it rises the most.
    The same thing happens in cupcakes and round pans. It just does not seem so obvious.
    Brownies are a heavier bar, and do not rise as much as a cake, so that is not as much of an issue.
    False
    Yes, that's the answer...The outside is hotter and bakes faster than the middle...I cut strips of an old terry cloth towel , soak wet in water..squeeze out and use safety pins to pin the strips around the outside of the cake pan....any size cake pan....You will get a flat cake this way...I just reuse my strips...Works fantastic....Got this hint years ago from a cake decorating classes I took.... terry bathroom or kitchen towels work...
    False
    When I took cake decorating, we were told to put your batter in the pan, then make an "X" in it from corner to corner and it would not be as high in the middle. The "X" redistributes the batter so that the middle is not quite as deep and the edges -- producing a cake that is more even. This especially needs to be done with chocolate cake.

Hope this helps!
    False

♀♀ = Love

♂♂ = Love

♀♂ = Love

A strong man stands up for himself, a stronger man stands up for others. -the movie Barnyard

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived!

Click for Milwaukee, Wisconsin Forecast

Possibly should clarify the "X" part -- make the "X" with the flat side of your spatula -- not the edge.

:)
    False

♀♀ = Love

♂♂ = Love

♀♂ = Love

A strong man stands up for himself, a stronger man stands up for others. -the movie Barnyard

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived!

Click for Milwaukee, Wisconsin Forecast

I made wedding cakes for years using the wet ,cold, terry strips to make the layers rise evenly. Always worked for me. But then I got the Wilton strips, much easier. And always use shiney pans so the cake doesn't get brown on sides and bottom.
    False
    Thanks everyone for the great tips. I'm off to bake my grandsons a cake!
    False
    Zingara18