Question about reheating mashed potato casserole in slow cooker | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Question about reheating mashed potato casserole in slow cooker

Last post Dec 24, 2007 10:04 AM by arelabs . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Question about reheating mashed potato casserole in slow cooker

I'm going to make my mashed potato casserole ahead of time (tomorrow) for Christmas Day dinner, but, in the past, I've always either oven baked it or microwaved it.  I just need someone's input as to cooking/reheating the potato casserole in the slow cooker.  I have the newer Hamilton Beach 3 in 1 slow cooker, so after I make the casserole, I'll heap them in the 4-qt bowl, and then just put them in the base for heating on Tuesday.  How long of a time should a anticipate for reheating and holding?

TIA.

Arlene 

False
  • Re: Question about reheating mashed potato casserole in slow cooker

I don't have any experience with that. Bumping for help for Arlene

Star

False

No one?????

Merry Christmas.

Arlene 

False

I've only used my croutckpot to 'hold' mashed potatoes for about 2 hours.  But I found this recipe on the web for making them ahead and then reheating.  I hope it helps you.  Some links I saw suggested putting a towel between the lid and the crock to help collect moisture so they wouldn't be too 'wet'.  Another suggested using a crockpot liner bag so they wouldn't dry out.

Judy

Crockpot Mashed Potatoes

Make these mashed potatoes ahead of time, refrigerate for up to 2 days, then reheat and keep hot in the crockpot.

Prep Time: 25 minutes

Cook Time: 3 hours, 30 minutes

Ingredients:
    • 5 lbs. potatoes, peeled and quartered
    • 2 (3 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
    • 1 cup sour cream
    • 2 tsp. onion powder
    • 1 tsp. salt
    • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
    • 1/4 tsp. white pepper
    • 2 slightly beaten egg whites
    • 3 Tbsp. butter

Preparation:

Cook the potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until they are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain well and return to dry pot. Shake over low heat for about 1 minute.

Then mash until there are no lumps. Beat in the cream cheese, sour cream, onion powder, salt, pepper and egg whites. Place potatoes in a greased 9x13" baking dish. Melt butter and drizzle over the potatoes. Cool for 20 minutes, cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.

Take potatoes out of refrigerator about 3-1/2 hours before serving time. Place in crockpot. Cover and cook on low heat for 3 hours, stirring once or twice. They can be held an additional 30 minutes or more. 15 servings

False

Thanks for taking the time to help, Judy.  I know I've seen this mentioned by others here so I thought I'd ask.

Merry Christmas!

Arlene 

False

Ok, here are several references I found using the search. I didn't realize until I'd closed it out that I didn't get the poster's names. Sorry. I'm going to have to figure out a better way to copy stuff. Sounds like as long as you use cream cheese or sour cream (to keep them creamy) and maybe use a crockpot bag to keep any hard edges from forming, that it might work pretty well.

MAKE AHEAD MASHED POTATOES

This can be made up to I week ahead

5 Pounds potatoes, peeled and quartered
    6 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
    1 c light sour cream
    2 t onion powder
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 t pepper
    I T margarine or butter

Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling water until tender. Mash until there are no lumps. Add cream cheese,
    sour cream, onion powder, salt, and pepper; blend well. Cool slightly, place in covered container and refrigerate.

Take out of refrigerator about 3 1/2 hours before you plan to serve them. Place in slow-cooker on low. Dot with
    margarine. Cook on low heat for 3 hours stirring once or twice.

This is the recipe I use.

Crockpot Mashed Potatoes ?

Reply Favorites Contact

It will make a big diffrence in flavor. DH loves the cream cheese and I can tell every time he puts it int he taters. (I do not like it)

If you make the taters in the mornign they can sit in the corckpot for hours on low. Just keep the lid on so the moisture stays in the crock.

RE: mashed potatoes in crockpot

Reply Favorites Contact

done it for 4 years now and will NEVER do it another way...

don't make them a "wet" as you normally do as they continue to cook, sorta...I make them alittle stiffer than I normally would and they come out perfect...and 2 hours is just about the max to keep them in the crockpot...I stir them about every 30 minutes and don't have a problem with a wet lid...and make sure to SPRAY the crock...

I also make my green bean casserole in a smaller crockpot...also about 2 hours before dinner...sprinkle in 1/4 of the onions and then about 15 minutes prior to eating I sprinkle on the rest...I do not add milk to my recipe and they are great too...I didn't add the milk when I baked them in the oven...they were to soupy...

RE: mashed potatoes in crockpot

Reply Favorites Contact

I have done this for about 5 years. I keep mine on the warm setting with no problems. Last year and this year we are going elsewhere for the big day and I am bringing the taters in my CP.

RE: ???about mashed potatoes in the crockpot

Reply Favorites Contact

I make them all the time for DH's lodge dinners..

Use your recipe for mashed potatoes
    At first I buttered the crockpot and added the postatoes now I us the bag no clean up and I also put the setting on warm..they stay wonderful for several hours..My secret is I use sour cream in the potatoes gives a creamy potatoe..

Hope this helps..

Katts

Reply Favorites Contact

This is the recipe I've used for several years and the one my DD requests I make. They are like twice baked potatoes in flavor. The texture is very nice and they do hold well. I use a crockpot liner bag to keep them from getting brown and crusty on the edge of the crock.
    chefly

*Posted by: *jdawn
    *Posted on:
    *4/10/2004 1:13:27 PM
    #R3441218
    MAKE AHEAD MASHED POTATOES

This can be made up to I week ahead

5 Pounds potatoes, peeled and quartered
    6 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
    1 c light sour cream
    2 t onion powder
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 t pepper
    I T margarine or butter

Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling water until tender. Mash until there are no lumps. Add cream cheese,
    sour cream, onion powder, salt, and pepper; blend well. Cool slightly, place in covered container and refrigerate.

Take out of refrigerator about 3 1/2 hours before you plan to serve them. Place in slow-cooker on low. Dot with
    margarine. Cook on low heat for 3 hours stirring once or twice.

Reply Favorites Contact

AFter you mash the potatoes, be sure to either spray the crock or use one of the new bags for the crocks.
    Just put the dial on low and it should be good to go.

Cherie - IN †

False

Thanks Star!  I'll just have to wing it.  

Merry Christmas!

Arlene 

False