Use of tapioca in place of flour or corn starch | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Use of tapioca in place of flour or corn starch

Last post Dec 31, 2007 9:47 PM by coffeesnob . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • Use of tapioca in place of flour or corn starch

I would like to make gravy and was wondering if anyone ever used tapioca as thickener rather than flour or corn starch.  I am thinking the tapioca would not give a starchy taste as flour and corn starch do.  Anyone out there use this thickener? 

False
  • Re: Use of tapioca in place of flour or corn starch

I've never used it as a thickener so i cannot give you any advice, maybe someone will see this and give you an answer. The only thing i have to add is this, I have only had tapioca in my mouth twice and both times the little "pearls" still seemed to have body to them. I never felt a smoothness about them. But then, they might not have been cooked enough, or had enough liquid added to them to make them melt completely.( if they ever do) Sorry I couldnt' be of moreSad help.

False

I use tapioca as a thickener in my Strawberry-Rhubarb and Blueberry pies, and it works great, but never used it in gravy.  I found this note on another web site.  Hope this helps.

Beth

Tapioca flour is often used to thicken desserts, especially those that are intended to be cold, because it does not break down in freezing as flour-thickened sauces will. It is particularly susceptible to heat, though, and will become stringy when heated to boiling. One tablespoon of tapioca flour will thicken one cup of liquid. To thicken with tapioca flour, stir it into your mixture, bring it to a simmer, then remove it from the heat. Let it sit for 15 minutes — stirring only once or twice during the first five minutes — during which time, it will set.

False

Deonia and Bander, thanks for your replys to my question.  I was not brave enough to try using tapioca as my gravy base, used cornstarch and it was delicious.  Sometime when time isn't so pressing and we are not entertaining, I will be trying it for gravy.  By the way, I did make a double batch of tapioca pudding (a must at all my family gatherings, a signature dish for me) and it was soooo very good. 

False

I have used tapioca flour as a thickener for roasts, and it turns quite well.  You cannot use a great deal.

False

I have a recipe that calls for tapioca in a beef stew.  It is an old old recipe--I havent made it in years but you would never know the tapioca was there. 

False