I have a wedge of Brie Cheese, what can I do?? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

I have a wedge of Brie Cheese, what can I do??

Last post Dec 08, 2011 1:28 AM by 16281628 . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • I have a wedge of Brie Cheese, what can I do??

Hi I have a wedge of Brie Cheese, left over from Christmas. On Christmas I baked in crescent rolls with jelly and brown sugar on top. What a disaster, a mess and really it didn't take that great.

Is there anything else I can do with this cheese?

Thanks for the help

Linda                                                          WargoFiveHappyNewYearBear-vi.gif picture by wargofive

False
  • Re: I have a wedge of Brie Cheese, what can I do??

Go to allrecipes.com and type in brie cheese....Several came up.

Kathy

False

Brie should always be served at room temperature. Let the cheese stand covered (best left in its wrapper) for at least 30 minutes to one hour prior to serving. If serving a whole wheel, slice it in wedges like a cake. It pairs beautifully with the tart taste of dried cherries, cranberries, apricots, or raisins. Brie also complements toasted nuts, such as walnuts, pistachios, almonds, and cashews. Scatter a wheel of Brie with a colorful assortment of dried fruits and nuts for color and flavor. Try Brie slices for a tasty twist in cheeseburgers, or melted on croutons for use in soups and salads. Brie also works well in sandwiches, such as with sliced apples and smoked turkey on pumpernickel or with roast pork and shredded cabbage on a crusty roll. Brie pairs with a wide assortment of wines, from champagne to hearty reds, and beer and cider as well.

Here are a couple sites loaded with Brie recipes.

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/appbrie/appbrie.html

http://www.massrecipes.com/cats/Brie

False
    Try a Praline Topped Brie Put your wedge in a pie plate and top with a little orange Marmalade and brown sugar and spread on top of the cheese. Top with toasted sliced almonds and bake at 350* for just a few minutes til it is softened. Serve it with crackers. It is delicious!!
    False

I split mine - spread apricot or raspbery filling on it - put it back together and wrap it in puff pastry and bake it at 400º until golden.  We didn't a crumb left!

False

Here are my two faves.  Both should be done with a wheel, but I'm sure you can do it with a wedge.  Just watch the baking time so the cheese doesn't run all over.  Generally when you bake a wheel, the eatable rind keeps the cheese from running.

#1 Cut brie in half horizontally, mix together 1/4 c apricot preserves and 1 chopped jalapeno.  Spread half of filling on bottom half of brie, sprinkle with 1/4 c pecan halves.  Top with other half of brie and rest of filling.  Sprinkle with another 1/4 c pecan halves.  Bake at 425 for about 5 mins. 

#2  Exact same recipe, but substitute 2/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil (chopped) for preserves, 1 tablespoon basil pesto for jalapeno and pine nuts for the pecans.

I usually slice up a baguette, brush with olive oil and surround the brie wheel so they bake at the same time and get nice and crispy.

False

Amy in WI

you could make filo dough purses, use a little chunk, put some walnuts and well, something else........... I'm not a cheese person, but I"ve always wanted to make something with the filo dough.

False
    Amy

Our favorite way!

Baked Brie with Caramelized Onions

Prep 40 minutes
    Bake 10 minutes

Makes 8 appetizer servings

1 tablespoon butter
    1 large sweet onion, cut in half and sliced
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 tablespoon water

1 small wheel (8 ounces Brie)

In nonstick 12-inch skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, sugar, and water. Cook 35munutes or until onion is very tender and browned and liquid evaporates, stirring often.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350º. Unwrap Brie and place in small oven-safe serving plate.

Bake Brie 10 minutes or jut until warm to the touch. Cool slightly, then top with onion mixture. Serve with good crackers or French bread.

Each serving: About 130 calories, 6 g protein, 6 g carbohydrates, 9 g total fat (6 g saturate), 1 g fiber, 32 mg cholesterol, 195 mg sodium.

FromGood Housekeeping’s Best Recipes 2004

False

The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do. ~Barrie

Math is fun!

Click for Soldotna, Alaska Forecast

Thanks guys

sorry a little late, when you don't get e mail notifications I forgot I put in a request

Lindamny.gif picture by wargofive

False

If you put the preserves - apricot - raspberry - fig, etc. - sprinkle some thinly slices almonds over the preserves - fantastic!

Tria

False

My friend uses it in her lasagna and boy was it tasty.  made it very rich and creamy.  Or I would even try it in mac and cheese.

I am actually having brie this weekend on a cracker topped with cranberry chutney.

False

ello DO  I  TAKE THE  WHITE STUFF  OFF  THIS  STINKING  PIECE OF PLOP

False

I do exactlyt what GmawMary does - yum and always gone!

False