Can you substitute anything for wheat germ in a recipe? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can you substitute anything for wheat germ in a recipe?

Last post Nov 27, 2009 12:16 PM by Greta1951 . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Can you substitute anything for wheat germ in a recipe?

Do not have any wheat germ, the muffin recipe calls for 1/4 cup wheat germ. Do I just add more flour or say oatmeal? Just not sure, wonder what do you think? Thanks for any help.

False
  • Re: Can you substitute anything for wheat germ in a recipe?

Found this;

• wheat germ (This makes for a more nutritious product.  Replace up to 1/3 of the flour with this.) OR
  • amaranth flour (This is higher in fat than all-purpose flour.) OR
  • spelt flour (This tends to make baked goods heavier, so consider increasing the baking powder so that the product rises more.   Spelt is tolerated by most people with wheat allergies, and it's great for making pasta and bread.) OR
  • kamut flour (This is tolerated by most people with wheat allergies, and it works well in pasta and bread recipes.  It works best if combined with other flours.) OR
  • ground Passover matzo (A traditional substitution for Jews during Passover.) OR
  • potato starch (Another good substitution for Jews during Passover.)
False
    Thanks, will use flour to replace the wheat germ.
    False

Thanks Cittie, I'v wondered about this myself and it's information good to know.

False

Be careful!  What this post listed were things that can be substitued for wheat flour, not substitues for wheat germ. It said "wheat germ (This makes for a more nutritious product.  Replace up to 1/3 of the flour with this.) "  That is saying to replace 1/3 of flour with wheat germ. You are missing the first part of it but I found it online and it was suggested substitutions for wheat FLOUR.

As for wheat germ substitutes:  I am gluten intolerant and have found that rice bran or ground flax seed are a good substitution in recipes that call for wheat GERM.  Hope this helps.

False

Thanks adhmork8! That was what I was looking for!!!

False

I am living in Israel and have an American book of recipes for bread machines.  The recipe I wanted to use called for toasted wheat germ, which I used to get in the States.  It might be available here - I would have to start looking around -  but I had just picked up some flaked brewers yeast in a health food store for another recipe, and it toasted very nicely on a non-stick frying pan at a low heat.  It is gluten-free so that might be something for you to consider in the future.   See this description of flaked brewers yeast in the U.S.

http://www.mothernature.com/shop/detail.cfm/sku/87814

False