Instant Potato Flakes | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Instant Potato Flakes

Last post Jan 13, 2008 4:33 AM by Alliea . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Instant Potato Flakes

I have some instant potato flakes and don't know what to do with them.  I always make real mashed potatoes.  So, does anyone have any recipes that potato flakes can be used in?

False
    But Martha was distracted with much serving...
  • Re: Instant Potato Flakes

I always add instant potatoes to potato soup to thicken it

False

Lightningbug posted this great sounding recipe yesterday:

Instant Potato-cheese soup

from cd kitchen posted by camilla

4 cans (14-1/2 oz. size) ready-to-use chicken broth
    2 cups half-and-half
    2 1/2 cups instant mashed potato flakes
    4 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    2 scallions, thinly sliced

In a soup pot, combine the chicken broth, half-and-half, potato flakes, 3-1/2 cups cheese, and the pepper; mix well.

Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly

False

i like to use them to thicken soups, gravy, ect.....

False

my blog! www.jillshomecooking.blogspot.com

Been a big fan of TOH since I was a young teenager!!! I was sooooo excited to be asked to become a Volunteer Field Editor in June 2013!!

I don't use them for 'real' potatoes, either, but they are great if you happen to get your potatoes a little thin. Just a little makes a huge difference. Mostly I use mine to bake bread. Here is the bread machine recipe that we love:

White Potato Flake Bread

1 c. very warm water

2 1/2 T. oleo or butter

2 T. sugar

1 T. + 2 tsp. instant potato flakes

3/4 tsp. salt (I prefer sea salt)

2 1/2 c. bread flour (AP flour works well, too)

1 1/4 tsp. yeast (I use Sams Club instant yeast)

Place in bread pan in order listed (or however your machine specifies).  Bake on a basic white loaf.  When done, remove & smear with butter to keep crust soft.  Wrap in towel until cool.  Store in airtight container.

False

I don't have a recipe, but you can use them like bread crumbs for coating chicken or whatever.

You can use them whole or grind them up fine. Big Smile

False
    Kathleen

I agree with you 100% Jenito!

I just made some bread, yesterday, about 1/2 whole wheat flour, and adding a handful of dry potato flakes, the bread is light and fluffy!

I don't make bread that I don't use some potato flakes in it now.

Music ViolaB Music

False

Potato Crusted Baked Fish

Mix together 1 pkg Idahoan Instant Potato with 1/4 cup Grated Parm/Romano Cheese, 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder, Salt & Pepper to taste. Cover fish with Mayo and Coat with Potato mixture. Spray pan with Pam, and heat Fish in 400degree oven 30-40 minutes depending on thickness of fish. Work best with Tilapia, Cod, Sole, Snapper or any Filet. Also works with Chicken Breast!

False
    The only reason I ever buy them is to bread chicken with them for oven fried chicken.  I usually use skin on and bone in pieces.  I mix one egg with some water, dip in the chicken and then dredge thoroughly in the potato flakes.  I place meat side down in a pan that has either melted butter or oil in it.  Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees and then turn over.  Bake another 45 minutes.  The tops will be nice and brown and crunchy.  This chicken is really great served cold the next day.
    False

This and RRG Potato dumplings are the only way (so far) We will eat instant potatoes in our home. I make these quite a lot. Easy, versatile ( vary Toppings) and very good.From Arelabs.
    At times I make this with fresh potatoes too- either way soo good.

GNOCCHI

1 c instant Potato Buds
    1 c hot water
    1/2 t salt
    1 egg
    1 c flour

Combine Potato Buds and hot water. Add rest of ingredients, in order given. Mix well. Form into 2" fingers or balls* with hands. Flour hands occasionally so dough doesn't stick. Cook in boiling salted water till they rise to top. Remove dumplings from water with slotted spoon and place in buttered casserole dish.

* Sprinkle with bread crumbs and keep layering melted butter, dumplings and crumbs. Cover with foil and bake at 325° 5-10 minutes.(I omit this step-Alliea)*
    *Tip - roll dough into a 1/2 inch diameter rope and then cut up into inch long slices (I sometimes indent the center with a fork like Mrs. C did. I think it looks nice plain or with the indentation)

Growing up with a best friend who was Italian I absolutely loved Anne Marie's Mom's Mrs. C's Gnocchi and I was always invited for dinner when she made Gnocchi as she knew it was my absolute favorite authentic Italian dish .

Thank goodness for this recipe it always brings back those fantastic memories to me. I boil the Gnocchi quickly as directed then drain and top with Basil and garlic infused Pasta sauce.DS had thirds.

Thanks Arlene for helping me with this Memory re-creation.

Alliea

R&R: Instant Mashed Potato Dumpling. Yum!

Posted by: Redraspberrygirl Replies: 1 Posted on: 3/4/2007 8:01:34 PM
    #T802983
    INSTANT MASHED POTATO DUMPLINGS

1 cup Mashed Potato Flakes
    1 cup sifted flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    ½ teaspoon salt (1/4 tsp.)
    1 tablespoon minced parsley
    1 cup milk
    1 egg

Combine Potato Flakes, flour, baking powder and salt and parsley. In a separate bowl, combine the milk and egg. Add to dry ingredients and stir to moisten. Let stand 3 minutes. Drop by spoonful onto simmering liquid. Cover tightly and cook 10 to 15 minutes.

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

I add potato flakes to my deviled egg filling to pump it up a bit. You can't taste the potato flavor.

False

I made this last week and both DH and I really liked it.I added a stick of melted butter to the pan  I baked the chicken in as I was not sure the chicken would stick since I removed the skin.Very good..  Thanks for the recipe Sue.

Alliea

Recipe: Crisp Oven-Fried Chicken

This was in the Our Ohio magazine this month.

Sue

CRISP OVEN-FRIED CHICKEN
        1½ cups instant potato flakes
        1     Tbsp seasoning salt
        ¼     teaspoon pepper
        ½     teaspoon paprika
        ¼     teaspoon garlic powder
        ¼     cup butter, melted
        1     egg, beaten
        1     Tbsp water
        3     pounds chicken – thighs, legs, breasts

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In large bowl, combine potato flakes and spices. Stir in butter and mix well. In medium bowl, combine egg and water. Dip chicken in egg mixture then roll in flake mixture. Bake covered for 1 1/2 hours or until tender. Uncover the last 10 minutes for the chicken to brown.

Submitted by Rita Norris, Gambier

oven fried chicken

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009