If I need 2 cups cooked rice, how much dry rice do I cook? Sounds like how much wood could the woodchuck | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

If I need 2 cups cooked rice, how much dry rice do I cook? Sounds like how much wood could the woodchuck

Last post Jan 17, 2008 10:19 AM by dreamwhip . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • If I need 2 cups cooked rice, how much dry rice do I cook? Sounds like how much wood could the woodchuck
    chucked..THanks!
    False
  • Re: If I need 2 cups cooked rice, how much dry rice do I cook? Sounds like how much wood could the woodchuck

Does it say on the package? I would say 1/2 cup of dry rice with 1 to 1 1/4 cups liquid would do it, but maybe someone else will know better.

False

Rebecca

• Re: If I need 2 cups cooked rice, how much dry rice do I cook? Sounds like how much wood could the woodchuck

I usually use 1 cup dry rice to two cups liquid. It seems to be about two cups to me.

False
    Click for Red House, West Virginia Forecast Bailey

I might be wrong, but I think it is 2/3 of a cup. I think rice expands to 3 times what it was originally. I looked on my rice package and it said if you use 1 cup of rice to two cups of water it mates three cups...so that should be right to use 2/3 of a cup. THat would mean you would use 1 1/3 cups of water to cook it in.

False

Faith is not demanding what we want; it is trusting God's goodness in spite of life's tragedies. Dave Branon

Yep, I agree with the 1 cup dry to 2 cups water. 

Barb

False

Paradise

I make rice a lot and I use 1 cup dry to 2 cups liquid.  Makes 2 cups of rice.

Paradise

False
    ~~ Brenda ~~

One part rice to two parts water

Karla

False
    Karla

oops sorry...rice doubles so 1 cup dry will make 2 cups cooked.  2 cups water to that 1 cup rice.

Karla

False
    Karla

I think everyone is right bc different rice makes different amounts.  Long grain and short grain raw will be different quantities when cooked.  If you cook 1 cup, that should be enough and you can use the remaining for something else.  For Basmati rice, I've heard of the 1,2,3 rule which is 

1 cup raw + 2 cups liquid = 3 cups cooked.

False
    Click for San Dimas, California Forecast

I agree with this poster; 1 cup dry rice, 2 cups water = 3 cups cooked rice.  Therefore, if I want 2 cups cooked rice I will use 2/3 cup dry rice, 1 1/3 cups of water.  I always cook more and make a wonderful rice pudding with the leftovers.

False