What is your best tip for a moist & tender sirloin tip roast? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What is your best tip for a moist & tender sirloin tip roast?

Last post Dec 31, 2013 10:53 PM by yollieann . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • What is your best tip for a moist & tender sirloin tip roast?

I have a 6lb. sirloin tip roast that I want to make for dinner tomorrow.  We are expecting about 4 guests and I want it to be moist and tender.  Any tips you can give me will be appreciated.  Which would be better  --  oven or crockpot?

False
  • Re: What is your best tip for a moist & tender sirloin tip roast?

I would do it in the oven, keep it covered and baste it.  Long & slow...probably 325º a couple hours anyway.  I'm trying to visualize how big a 6lb roast is!  I always go by eye, LOL!

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

I found this recipe here some time ago. I will NEVER cook a sirloin tip roast any other way from now on! This is fantastic....my DH and sons rave about it. I have also used a rump roast and a top round roast. If you want it done a bit more just leave it in a bit longer. This was  posted by TRIA. Give it a try. I brush on worcestershire sauce,sprinkle with a mixture of Lawrys,garlic powder and onion powder and go from there. Here is her entire post with recipe......... 

They have been featuring eye of round roasts on special lately and I've prepared this for several "group meals". Everyone loves them and the leftovers (or planned overs) are great!

I prepare my eye of round roast this way and it comes out perfectly:

Preheat oven (or gas grill to highest temp.) to 500 degrees. Place roast on rack in pan - line pan with foil for easy clean up - rub roast with your favorite "rub" or herb/spice mixture - or just a little salt and pepper -

Place roast in preheated oven for 10 minutes per pound (for most smaller roasts that isn't long). At end of time - turn oven off and DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR - leaving roast in oven for another 10 minutes per pound. Remove roast and slice - or chill to serve later - It is perfectly cooked unless you have people that like everything "well done" and if so - don't serve them good beef (oven)roasts - serve them pot roast!!!!
    You can also do this with other good oven roasts, e.g. sirloin tips, etc. but slice the eye of round fairly thin and serve as an entree or on great bread or rolls for sandwiches. You can make gravy with the drippings, if you wish. This makes great French Dip sandwiches, for sure. You can add a bit of good beef broth to make more "au jus".

Now if you have people that like a rarer roast - 8 minutes per pound will work for them. We find the 10 minutes works well for almost everyone as it comes out medium rare - with the ends being slightly less rare than the middle.

Tria
    False

Smile  This works great for rib roasts, sirloin, etc. and I've never had one fail!! Started doing this about 35 or so years ago and it's never failed me. 

pegg

False

pegg

I can't speak for anyone elses recipe - here is mine.

Sorloin tip roast - brown it on all sides in a little bit of olive oil. flavored with some garlic cloves.  Put it in crock pot - cover with lots of onions.  Add one can of beef broth.  A bay leaf.  Cook all day on low.  Nothing better.

False

I just finished dinner with lazyme's recipe. Will always cook a sirloin tip roast with this method! It was fablulous.

Thanks.

False

bump to find later.

False

I just cooked a roast the other day  and it was delicious!!I  I sprinkled Amazing Taste for beef over it and pierced it and then sprinkled McCormick pot roast seasoning over it and cooked in crock pot on low for 8 to 10 hours.
    Shelia

False
    orignalred /Shelia

Thank you lazy me - the method that I originally posted for the eye of round works for almost any roast.   The eye of round is not the most tender of roasts but the sirloin tip (and others) work really great.  So easy - and makes a great presentation.   I used to serve this all the time for parties - just put the meat out with lots of good bread or little homemade rolls and let people slice the meat self service style - make sure you put out a good knife and serving fork.   Of course - it makes for a "fancier" presentation if you have a "carver" in a chef's hat!   LOL

False
    Tria

Oh lazy me I hope that recipe will work on a 11 or 12 sirloin tip roast if so can you send it to me

ta714

False

what does DH stand for???  deranged husband maybe?

False

recipe-roast beef with gravy

1 boneless beef sirloin tip roast(4lb),1/2 cup flour, divided, 1 envelope each onion soup mix & brown gravy mix, 2 cup cold water, potatoes, peeled & quartered, 1 onion, peeled & quartered, 1 small bag mini carrots.  cut roast in half, rub with 1/4 c flour, place in slow cooker with vegetables. In a bowl combine soup & gravy mixes & remaining 1/4 c flour; stin in water until blended. Pour over roast & veggies. cover & cook on low 6-8 hours. May omit veggies & serve with hot mashed potatoes. May add salt & pep.

False

WOW!!! Just cooked a 4.3 lb sirloin tip roast using lazyme/Tria's method and it was simply AMAZING! Just put some Montreal Steak Seasoning, onion powder, and a little olive oil on top at followed the rest of instructions. Our reward was a juicy, tasty, med-rare roast. The best I have ever made! Thank You!

False

OK, So today I tried Lazy Me's recipe but altered it a bit. (on a sirloin tip roast) I tend to like my beef medium and saw someone else said hers turned out medium-rare with the 10 minutes per pound instructions.

Now for me if its going to lean in either direction of medium I'd rather lean more towards well done.

So I decided to try the same exact directions but with 12 minutes per pound on both the 500 and oven off temps.

Outcome: Medium Well, a tiny bit dry but otherwise quite tasty

Next time I'm going to try 11 minutes per pound and hopefully get a perfect medium.

I thought this might help any others that like beef a bit more done...or even well done. No judgement here. :)

False

I have also heard of one like this for Turkey.  But I think it was left in the oven overnight and was supposed to be the most moist bird that they had ever eaten.

False