??Wilton Candy melts | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

??Wilton Candy melts

Last post May 06, 2013 11:11 AM by eilral . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • ??Wilton Candy melts

Hi everyone!

Has anyone used these to make mints? We are making the mints for our wedding. The "recipe" I have is to melt the candy melts, add the flavoring to my taste and then pour in a mold and stick in the freezer until hard. Is it really that easy? And will they melt back down or do I need to keep the in the fridge? And how many days in advance can I make them?

Thanks so much!

False
  • Re: ??Wilton Candy melts

yes they are very easy to do.....

you can do them up ahead of time and keep in a sealed container in the freezer. just take out the day of your wedding and put on a dish...

have a happy wedding! :)

False

my blog! www.jillshomecooking.blogspot.com

Been a big fan of TOH since I was a young teenager!!! I was sooooo excited to be asked to become a Volunteer Field Editor in June 2013!!

Oh good! I was really hoping I could make them a couple of weeks in advance. We are making all the food so I want to get as much done a head of time as possible!

False

Yes, it is that easy.  You CAN do them weeks ahead of time.  They can be kept in a cool room or in the refrigerator as long as you keep them away from strong smells like onions.  Even room temp would be fine, but if you are in a warm climate without air conditioning then you might have issues or if you keep your house REALLY warm.

False

I have been in a Wilton candy class many years ago and believe it or not, they are very easy to work with. Just remember, any flavoring you add to the "chocolate" should be in the form of an oil. If you use a water based flavoring, then your chocolate will turn hard and NOT conform to anything. Yes, after placing it in your mold, then put it in the freezer for about 5 minutes to harden up. They will stay in shape and not melt unless you place the formed mints near a heat source. You should have learned this in your candy class. If you are using the colored candy melts then that is fine, just add the oil based flavoring. Be careful as oil based flavorings are stronger than water based flavorings. If you have to use the white and add color, just a little dab of Wilton color paste should do. A little at a time to determine what shade you need. No water based coloring either as stated before.

The finished mints should be placed in a cooled environment, but not necessarily a refrigerator. Just not near a heat source. They may be packaged in a box with wax paper covering the bottom and layers.

I hope this helps.

False
    As you can tell, you can do this... but I would recommend that you go to a cake and candy decorating store and buy the candy discs that they sell. They do not have wax in them, they taste creamier and richer, you can buy colors if you chose or white and then color them to your desire you can chose from a large variety of flavorings and they also should also have a large variety of molds to chose from. Other than that... enjoy the process.... One good way to melt chocolate especially if you are going to use a variety of colors in a piece of choc. is to use heat proof dishes, and melt the candy on a warming tray... you would melt the chocolate on a higher heat and then lower it so it stays fluid but not too hot so that it would burn... you can keep adding choc. discs as needed also. Yes, you can do them several weeks ahead of time. Choc. discs will keep for several months without losing flavor.... cake decorating stores also go through more candy so it will be fresher IMHO than those sold at a craft store. If you chose this would even be a good thing for your younger weddng party members to help you with if you chose... no talent needed and they look great!
    False

Denise

Hi there!

I am making chocolate covered pretzels with your molds. I am making them for a wedding and would like to have them done 2 weeks before the wedding if possible. I am asking if anyone knows how long the chocolate will stay fresh and if anyone has any ideas on what to put them in to stay fresh. Also, would you recc. making them 1 week ahead?

Also, I tried filling the mold with a spool, does anyone have any other suggestions on how to fill the mold?

Thank you!

False

I am a first time user of candy melts. Can I make them ahead? I'd like to make them 2 weeks before my mom's 90th birthday party. Should I store in a closed container in cool place? Or is the freezer best? I'm using a button candy mold. Wilton candy melts, and their flavoring. What's the best way to melt? To pour in molds should I use squeeze  bottle? Or zip lock bag? The Wilton cost too much. Trying to make with what I Have

This is a lot of questions! I hope you don't mind. I really appreciate your time.

Thank you.

False