ISO recipe similar to Quaker Oatmeal Breakfast cookies | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO recipe similar to Quaker Oatmeal Breakfast cookies

Last post Jan 22, 2008 10:41 PM by ct59 . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • ISO recipe similar to Quaker Oatmeal Breakfast cookies

I would like to make my own.  I've had to supply these twice to a large group of kids and they are $3 for 6 of them.  I did make a cookie today that was more dense and similar to the purchased ones but wondering if anyone makes something like the breakfast cookies for future reference.  I have to say that my dense oatmeal dried cranberry white chocolate cookie (that was a mouthful!) tasted better than the purchased Quaker cookies but then I don't like foods made with preservatives.  TIA

False
  • Re: ISO recipe similar to Quaker Oatmeal Breakfast cookies

I, too, hope someone has a recipe to share.  My DH eats them every morning for breakfast and loves them.  Opallu

False
    Photobucket

no one?

well, I might have to post this cookie recipe from Allrecipes that I adapted if no one has any recipes similar to the Quaker cookies.  I like the chewiness of the Quaker cookies better than mine.

False
  • Re: Recipe added similar to Quaker Oatmeal Breakfast cookies

well, my kids like this recipe better than the Quaker oatmeal cookies so I thought I'd share.

this is a recipe from Allrecipes with a few changes added.  I make them large like the Quaker cookies so they are probably 4 inches in diameter.  I use a large scoop when I put them on the baking pan and they take 20+ minutes to bake each sheet on a baking stone.  They are denser than most cookies which is what I was looking for.

White Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

1 c butter

1 cup light brown sugar

1 c white sugar

2 eggs

2 tsp vanilla extract

3 c all purpose flour

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

1 1/2 c rolled oats

2 c white chocolate chips  (I used 1 cup)

1 c chopped pecans

1/2 tsp cinnamon  (I added this)

3/4 c coconut (I added this)

1/2 c dried cranberries (I added this, could use any dried fruit)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease cookie sheets.

In medium bowl, cream together butter, brown sugar, white sugar until smooth.  Stir in the egg and vanilla.  Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, stir into the creamed mixture.  finally, stir in rolled oats, white chocolate chips, pecans, dried fruit, cinnamon.  Drop by tablespoons onto prepared cookie sheets.

bake for 10-12 minutes in preheated oven.  remove from baking sheets to cool on wire racks. (mine took 20+ minutes)

I froze most of the cookies so my family wouldn't indulge in them except for breakfasts and on the run snacks. 

False

I don't know exactly what you're looking for, but I watched Ellie make these on Footd Network this past weekend.

Breakfast Cookies
    Copyright 2007 Ellie Krieger, All rights reserved
    Show:  Healthy Appetite with Ellie Krieger
    Episode:  Family Way
    Breakfast Cookies

3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1/4 cup canola oil
    1/4 cup dark brown sugar
    3 tablespoons granulated sugar
    1 egg
    1/4 cup (1 small jar) strained carrot baby food
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup rolled oats
    1/2 cup bran cereal flakes
    1/3 cup raisins
    1/3 cup walnut pieces, lightly toasted in a dry skillet for 2 minutes, until fragrant and chopped
    Place rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Whisk together flours, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Combine butter, oil and sugars in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix on high speed, scraping down sides if necessary, until sugars have dissolved and mixture is light in color, about 1 minute. Add egg, carrot puree and vanilla and beat an additional 30 seconds. Add flour mixture and beat an additional 30 seconds. Add oats, flakes, raisins and walnuts and mix over low speed just until incorporated. Dough will be slightly sticky and less cohesive than traditional cookie dough. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Using between 3 to 4 tablespoons of batter, form a ball and place on cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining batter, leaving about 3 inches between cookies. Wet hands and use palm of hand to flatten cookies until about 1/4-inch thick. Bake for 12 minutes, until cookies are fragrant but still soft. Let cookies cool slightly, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

False

retteacher:  that's what i'm looking for....your recipe is healthier which is what i prefer.  the cookies I made are really good and hearty but they do have lots of sugar in them.  i will have to give your recipe a try or even try to incorporate some of those ingredients into my breakfast cookies.  thanks for posting!

False

Have you tried putting "breakfast cookies" in the search box?  I just did that and found lots of recipes.

False

Carol

I haven't searched because my computer must not be very compatible with this site anymore.  It does wonky things all the time.  It will post while I am still typing, etc....it only does that on this site so I have not been messing with the other features due to frustration.
    False