Cutting Brownies neatly?? How do you do it?? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Cutting Brownies neatly?? How do you do it??

Last post Apr 08, 2008 1:34 PM by _FOOTSIE . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • Cutting Brownies neatly?? How do you do it??

I know I have read some tips on here about neat ways to cut brownies, mine always seem to end up very messy and torn apartSad.  they are baked and cooloing - unfortuately I didn't think to line the pan with foil - I tried searching but no luck.  TIASmile

False
    Photobucket
  • Re: Cutting Brownies neatly?? How do you do it??

I use a pizza cutter.  It rolls through the brownie nicely.

False

Foil is the way to go. Either spray or butter it, OR, even better, use the Reynolds Release stuff, and then leave enough on the ends so that you can scrunch it up and  "lift" the whole thing out. I do that for any kind of bar or brownie or fudge now....it's just so easy. Then the pizza cutter thing works well, or even a knife if you have it on a flat surface.

Good Luck!

Star

False

I love the pizza cutter. Cuts neat, with no crumbs.  It's also wonderful for cutting fudge or any kind of candy and bar cookies.

Carolyn

False

Possibly you have a great recipe you really like but I have made brownies that cut quite easily and others that are terrible to cut dependant on the recipe

.Are yours extra soft and moist or the kind that have a sort of crusty, crumbly top ?   I personally don't like the latter type recipe and quit making that sort. Just a personal preference.

I also purchased a flexible very small Pancake type turner that is only 2 inches or so across- Inexpensive (Walmart) and great for getting out that first  and subsequent pieces.

Using a plastic knife is a good tip.

Alliea

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Do you have pans with the removable sides? I have a 9x13 and the bigger cheesecake pans. I put parchment on the bottom~usually brownies are just greased on the bottom anyway. Loosen the baked brownies from the side, remove the sides of the cheesecake pan and slide the parchment off. Then I can run the pizza cutter completely from side to side. My pizza cutter has a large wheel so it is easy wheeling with no catches in the center.

Linda

False

I've found the biggest help is t make sure they are completely cooled---  several hours out of the oven is best.  It's hard to wait but the pieces are much nicer.

False

I use disposable foil pans a lot, and I prefer to cut them with plastic knives.    There seems to be less drag and stickage that way.

:)
    Jolene

False

Jolene--  http://jolenesrecipejournal.blogspot.com/

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it" -- Julia Child

Thank you for all your help!!!!

I cooled the brownies in the garage overnight and then used a plastic knife - it worked great. I was even able to do small squares!Big Smile I will remember to line the pan next time and use the pizza cutter - mine doesn't get close enough to the sides. 

False
    Photobucket

In my book, the plastic knife used like a "saw", wins hands down.  You can get all the way to the edges of the pan without cutting through it and they look nice to boot!

Paulette

False

Zingerman’s Magic Brownies were named one of the Top 20 recipes of all time”
    -Midwest Living, February 2007

This post started me thinking about Brownies and I saw  a number of rave reviews on this recipe (I have not made yet) Has anyone tried these?
    Alliea

Zingerman's Magic Brownies
    from Midwest Living

13 T butter
    6.5 oz unsweetened chocolate
    1.5 C cake or all purpose flour
    3/4 t baking powder
    1/2 t salt
    4 eggs
    2 C sugar
    1.25 t vanilla
    1 C coarse chopped walnuts, toasted

1. Grease a 13x9x2 inch baking pan. Preheat oven to 325.

2. In a heavy small saucepan, heat the butter and chocolate over low heat, stirring, till chocolate is melted and smooth; set aside to cool.

3. In a small bowl sift together flour, baking powder and salt.

4. In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar with an electric mixer on high speed for 5 minutes or till light yellow and fluffy, scraping side of the bowl occasionally.

5. Add cooled chocolate mixture and vanilla. Beat on low speed until combined. Add flour mixture; beat on low speed until combined, scraping sides of bowl. Stir in walnuts.

6. Spread batter in pan. Bake 30 minutes or until brownies appear set. Cool in pan on wire rack; cut into bars.

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

http://order.radakitchenstore.com/storefrontB2CWEB/simplesearch.do?action=process_simple_search

I love the little  "mini spatula server"  for brownies and bars....I cut with something else , usually a Rada knife...(made in America and at a decent price!) I have not seen these in stores , any brand....They are worth their price...I actually have 2 of them....I noticed others here, grab it right away when they get a brownie or bar.....It is just so handy....

but for any bars or brownies, this little gadget is just the perfect size and gets that very first piece out of the pan , in one piece....Wish I would of found this years ago...

I like this so well , I buy them for little gifts for people and teachers,,,,the little granny fork from Rada, I use almost every day in some way....

False

Chilling or cooling the brownies completely really is the key - and - the plastic knife works great.   I like it to use it because many times I am transporting brownies in the foil pans and the sharp knives cut through the foil pans.    Whenever I am cutting and placing in a serving container or platter - I try and line the pans with foil - cool or chill overnite - then lift the foil out and turn the brownies over onto a cutting board or heavy cookie sheet.   Then it is really easy to slice with the pizza cutter, sharp knife or plastic knife.   I like to place the small squares in the miniature muffin liners.  They look especially nice and they are neat for people to pick up.   If you make the miniature brownie treats - recipe on here - you can bake them in the miniature muffin tins  (lined) and then you don't have to worry about getting them out.   Press a chocolate kiss in them (unwrapped) or a Rolo or   miniature peanut butter cup - when they are hot out of the oven.   You have a really cute and tasty treat.   I also find that if I chill the brownie batter for a few hours or overnite - the batter is easier to manage - especially into those tiny muffin tins - and also - the finished brownie seems to be a bit fudgier.    People love these and they look great on a dessert tray.

False
    Tria

The plastic knife works well, but only if the pan has cooled a little.  I rounded the tip on a great lettuce knife doing that once.   I'm short and have found that if I cut them on a lower surface, rather than at counter level, that they aren't nearly as ragged.  So, cutting down, rather than pulling through works better for me.  On a really humid day, they just look ragged no matter what I do. 

False
    sis.

Years ago when I lived in Battlecreek, Mich. a lady told me she used fishing line to cut her brownies.  I tried it, and it works great.  I clean it off, stick it in a sandwich bag, and its ready to go again.  I have also been told that teeth floss works well but I never tried it.     Vi

False