Nesco Roaster Oven question & does anybody have recipes to post for 4 or 6 qt roaster? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Nesco Roaster Oven question & does anybody have recipes to post for 4 or 6 qt roaster?

Last post Jan 30, 2008 8:55 PM by mehall . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Nesco Roaster Oven question & does anybody have recipes to post for 4 or 6 qt roaster?

Hi,

I'm making a chicken in the nesco later & have never done this before.  The direction book says not to add water to preheat @ 400 for 20 minutes, turn down to 375 & roast the chicken 1 to 11/2 hours.  Do you think I should add a little liquid to the roaster pan?  I read some of the posts about using the larger roasters & when cooking poultry  most of those recipes say to add liquid to the roasting pan.

I am also looking for some recipes to use these roasters for.  I've already been to the nesco site & checked out some of the posts here on Roaster Ovens, but most of the recipes are for the larger sized roasters.  I haven't tried the recipes in the instruction books until today & I  want to make the chicken.  Can I make soup in these roasters?

Thanks,

Marie

False
  • Re: Nesco Roaster Oven question & does anybody have recipes to post for 4 or 6 qt roaster?

http://www.nesco.com/recipes/

Marie here is a Nesco recipe site for you that Redraspberrygirl had posted, I went there and looked at some of the recipes, take a look and see what you think. I also typed “Nesco roaster recipes” in the search box and then clicked on “community” under the search box and it brought up a lot of threads having to do with the roaster, including questions and so forth. Hope this helps you Marie. Connie

False
  • Re: Nesco Roaster Oven question & does anybody have recipes to post for 4 or 6 qt roaster?

Marie here is a recipe from that site that I copied and pasted, if it kind of gives you a guide line to go by. Not sure about the other recipes, but hoped this might give you a idea of what they possibly have there. Hugs, Connie 

Cheesy Wild Rice and Turkey Soup

3 cups cooked turkey, cut in 1/2" pieces
    5 cups water
    2 cups wild rice, cooked
    1 cup celery, chopped
    1 medium onion, chopped
    2 tablespoons cajun spice
    2 16-ounce jars processed American cheese
    1 teaspoon Nesco® Savory Kitchen Blend table seasoning
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    2 tablespoons parsley

Boil water, celery and onions in a 6 quart Nesco® Roaster Oven. Simmer until celery is tender. Add rice, turkey, and seasonings and cook until well heated. Turn on low and add cheese. Melt. Add parsley.

Serves 12.

False

Marie,

I have both the 18 qt. and the 4 or 6 qt. Nesco roaster and I have never put liquid in anything that I have roasted.  Never made chicken in the small one; but have made big turkeys in the 18 qt. one and they come out really juicy.  I was a litle dubious at first about not putting in any liquid then decided to follow the directions and all my meats have turned out wonderful.

Hope this has helped you some.

Nancy

False

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2002, Grand Prize Winner, First Prize Winner and Honorable Mention

I have made the Barefoot Contessa's recipe for roasted chicken in my Nesco - it was delicious.   I don't think I put water in it and you shouldn't need to because the roasting of the chicken makes it's own liquid/juice.   If you are concerned - add a bit of chicken broth to the bottom.

False
    Tria

I love my Nesco Roaster - it makes a really good pork roast, too.

Here's the recipe I mentioned:

Perfect Roast Chicken
    Copyright, 1999, The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook, All rights reserved
    Show:  Barefoot Contessa
    Episode:  The Homecoming
    This recipe is available for a limited time only. Why?
    Perfect Roast Chicken
    1 (5 to 6 pound) roasting chicken
    Kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1 large bunch fresh thyme, plus 20 sprigs
    1 lemon, halved
    1 head garlic, cut in half crosswise
    2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter, melted
    1 large yellow onion, thickly sliced
    4 carrots cut into 2-inch chunks
    1 bulb of fennel, tops removed, and cut into wedges
    Olive oil

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
    Remove the chicken giblets. Rinse the chicken inside and out. Remove any excess fat and leftover pin feathers and pat the outside dry. Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken. Stuff the cavity with the bunch of thyme, both halves of lemon, and all the garlic. Brush the outside of the chicken with the butter and sprinkle again with salt and pepper. Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken. Place the onions, carrots, and fennel in a roasting pan. Toss with salt, pepper, 20 sprigs of thyme, and olive oil. Spread around the bottom of the roasting pan and place the chicken on top.
    Roast the chicken for 1 1/2 hours, or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh. Remove the chicken and vegetables to a platter and cover with aluminum foil for about 20 minutes. Slice the chicken onto a platter and serve it with the vegetables.

False
    Tria

http://nesco.com/recipes/

False
    Tria

mehall
    Can I make soup in these roasters?

Soups are great done in the Nesco.    I also do my Cabbage Rolls in the 6 quart.   Have only used the 18 Quart when doing a turkey in the summer time, so I don't heat up the  trailer.

Stews also, good.  Pork Roast, with sauerkraut, Ribs,  etc.

I have a 6 qt at home, and another in the trailer, wouldn't be without them.

Hope you enjoy your Nesco.

False

Thank you everyone!! I didn't get to make the chicken.  We are getting a major/nasty winter storm & the power went out  a few minutes after I posted this today.  It just came on a few minutes ago & now it is time for bed so I won't get to check out the sites until tomorrow.  We had leftover soup & chili warmed up on the woodstove & italian bread wrapped in foil & applesauce so we had dinner in front of the woodstove.   I learned a lesson today.  My stainless steel Revere Ware  on the woodstove wasn't working so I put the soup & chili in the Copper Bottom Revereware & the food heated up nicely. I t must have something to do with the thickness of the bottom of the pans.   The winds are still howling & the fire depts. & ambulance & law enforement & plow crews have been extremely busy today.Tonight it is suppose to start snowing lake effect with a prediction of 7 to 11 inches with the wind gusting  past 40 mph .

Thank you friends again.  I'll report to you when I use the roaster.  I just bought the 6 quart one to replace the 4 quart one destroyed in the cellar flood & I hadn't used the 4 qt one very much either.  I used it to cook clams & corn on the cob & those foods turned out great but I never used it for meat or poultry so I found a 6 quart one on sale for about the price of a crockpot so I bought the roaster instead.

Stay safe & out of harms way please,

Marie 

False