So EASY & GOOD! *No Peek Chicken* | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

So EASY & GOOD! *No Peek Chicken*

Last post Mar 03, 2008 9:23 AM by RaceGirl2 . 27 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 12
  • So EASY & GOOD! *No Peek Chicken*
    •  
    • *No Peek Chicken*
    •  
    • 6 chicken thighs and/or breasts
    • 1 envelope of dry onion soup mix (you can now get this in a lower salt ~ just as good)
    • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
    • 1 can cream of chicken soup
    • 2 cups water
    • 2 cups white rice
    •  
    • In a 9 X13 inch baking dish, mix together mushroom and chicken soups, water and rice.
    •  
    • Place chicken pieces, skin side up on the rice mixture. Sprinkle dry envelope of onion soup mix over the chicken. Cover dish tightly with foil.
    •  
    • Cook at 350 degrees for 3 hours. 
    •  
    • DON'T peek! Big Smile 
    •  
    • When done, chicken will be well cooked and rice very creamy.

False

Photobucket

• Re: So EASY & GOOD! *No Peek Chicken*

What a great recipe and that gravy must be delicious.  You know, if I live to be 100, I'll be lucky to try all the recipes I've copied, but I will defintely do this one soon. 

Barb

False

Linda, I've tried a recipe very similar to this and it was very good! The recipe I have calls for uncooked white rice in a much smaller amount. Is your recipe calling for cooked white rice?

Josie

False

Linda

Is the chicken skinless and if not could you remove the skin and would it make a difference in the flavor or texture

False

JosieSue

Linda, I've tried a recipe very similar to this and it was very good! The recipe I have calls for uncooked white rice in a much smaller amount. Is your recipe calling for cooked white rice?

Josie

I agree. I have a recipe that has only 1 cup of uncooked rice. I am wondering if the proportion of liquid to rice is not enough if the rice is uncooked. Linda - help us out. You know we trust you not to lead us wrong. Your recipes are always great!!!
    False

magnabay

Linda

Is the chicken skinless and if not could you remove the skin and would it make a difference in the flavor or texture

I have made a similar recipe with bonesless, skinless breasts and it was great.
    False

bump for Linda.  I also want to know if you remove the skin does it make a difference, and should the rice be cooked.  Thanks for such a great recipe.  GailStick out tongue

False

I would think the two cans of soup with the water would be enough liquid for the rice, but my question is the time. Three hours at 350? Now, that sounds like a lot.

Sure anxious to try this one

False

I think you could remove the skin with no problem.  I've made it with boneless, skinless chicken breasts & it was great.  My recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups of uncooked rice & is baked at 325 for 2 1/2 hrs.

False

Oh, this is going to be on the menu for tomorrow!  I can't wait to hit the grocery store in the morning--I have to watch the salt in-take, so I'll be looking for that low sodium onion soup mix, along with the lower sodium mushroom and cream of chicken. 

350 for 3 hours sounds like very, very well done chicken--is that correct?  The rice is raw, correct?  Do you rinse the startch off it before putting it into the soup/water mixture?

Looking forward to trying this! 

False

Here is a similar recipe from Cooks.com but with less rice and a slightly shorter cooking time. I think this is the recipe that I have used before. I used UNcooked rice. Delicious!

To print this page, use your browser's "print" button. Then click "back" to return to the site.
    COOKS.COM RECIPE SEARCH ENGINE
    NO - PEEK CHICKEN
    Printed from COOKS.COM

1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 can cream of celery soup

1 can water

3/4 c. long or wild rice

1 fryer chicken, cut up or 6-8 of your favorite chicken parts

1 pkg. Lipton onion soup mix

Mix first 4 ingredients together. Pour in 9 x 13 inch pan. Place chicken on top and sprinkle with onion soup mix on top. Cover with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 2 1/2 hours. Do not peek!

False
    I have made this recipe before with uncooked rice. comes out great!
    False

JosieSue
    Is your recipe calling for cooked white rice?

Josie -- it calls for two cups uncooked white rice (my family loves the way it  turns out) good luck...sorry I just now saw this.

I'll try to answer everyone.....

Animation7.gif picture by LindaChicken

False

Photobucket

magnabay

I've only used the skinless so I don't know what the skin on would be like...sorry I couldn't be more help -- I don't think it would really make that much difference, do you!

Photobucket
    False

Photobucket

avidcookGA

quote user="JosieSue"]

Josie

Barb -- hope you like this...my family loves it!

I use two cups of uncooked white rice....it turned out fine -- sure hope it does for anyone else that trys it?

False

Photobucket