VBS CRAFT IDEAS???? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

VBS CRAFT IDEAS????

Last post May 20, 2004 9:02 PM by pondlady112 . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • VBS CRAFT IDEAS????
    I am in charge of crafts this year and I would like to have a great project that will be worth taking home instead of spending a lot of money on nothing. Any ideas out there?
    False
  • RE: VBS CRAFT IDEAS????
    It really depends a lot on what your theme for VBS is and how much time and all you have. One idea is to make planters from soup cans by covering them with plaster of paris to look like a tree stump and then have the children plant a start of a plant in them. It takes a bit of time but they are really nice and quite easy. If you are interested I will post the directions on a separate post.
    False
    So funny!!!! I went to VBS several yrs at my cousin's church and loved it. In those days, Catholics didn't have it & I felt deprived (ha!!).
    One yr, we made harps. We bent wire hangers into a d-shape (like a harp). We strung stretchy, elastic string and tied it at both ends. To cover the knotted ends, we wrapped masking tape around the hanger. We played our harps at the closing ceremonies of VBS. Quite 60's, but fun nonetheless!!!

Another idea, not a craft though. We read various passages about the Crucifixtion. We then had to write a newspaper article, as if we were reporters, actually viewing it. I won the award for best "article", a giant Life Savers' bank. Again, very 60's!!! Have a fun summer!! :)
    False
    Here are the directions for the soup can planters:
    Put the can on a piece of foil. Mix plaster of paris to a consistancy of soft mashed potstoes. spear up the sides of the can using an old fork or comb to make lines like tree bark. Let some of the plaster run down to for the base like roots of the tree. A small figurene can be set into the root part of the planter if you have them. You have to work quite rapidly during this process. Let the planters sit for a day. Paint the planters with a mixture of black and brown liquit shoe polish. fill with soil and plant a small plant in them.
    False
    The theme for our VBS is a Western theme-cowboy stuff, but our project does not have to be with the theme.
    Please e-mail me the instructions to the planters, presby1@consolidated.net.
    Thanks
    False
    Try putting

Vacation bible school+crafts

in Google or Yahoo. I saw several listings. The one under family crafts looked good!

Frankie
    False
    We had the kids make stepping stones....they formed them in foam dinner-take-out boxes (the deep ones). The kids decorated them with their names, jewels, their hands/footprints, etc. Parents all thought they were great! We just used Quik-crete.......
    False
    Our theme last year was semi-Western. We took bandanas, cut slits all around, strung beads on them, then twisted the ends so they'd stay put. Hope that makes sense.
    We also took 2 back pockets from jeans, made pouches out of them, and let the kids decorate with beads, sequins, and puffy paint.
    False
    Last year we did the stepping stones also. We had collected the plastic ice cream buckets (and also found some at the dollar store) to mold them in. We also did one that was called something like "God's Greenhouse". They took a gallon sized ziplock and put pinto beans in them with some moist cotton balls. Then they decorated the outside of the baggie with construction paper to look like a greenhouse. (The ziplock was the window.) Then the put a string on that it could hang in the kids windows. I couldn't believe it but the seeds actually sprouted! It was really cute.
    False
    Check out the many posts for recipes in a jar -- they make great craft projects for kids. You can use plastic containers if you don't want to have breakable jars. One that our kids are doing this summer in VBS is gluing twigs around empty 12-oz juice concentrate cans to make pencil holders (I know this because the craft lady is a friend and she already has me saving juice cans!). Another one that's easy is to have the kids draw or decorate sheets of paper (9x12 or 8-1/2x14). Then laminate -- can use clear contact paper -- to make placemats. You can use the kids' pictures on these too if you like. My kids made these one year for Christmas gifts for grandparents.
    False
    http://childparenting.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=childparenting&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.geocities.com%2FHeartland%2F6580%2Fvbs.html

There's some cute ideas on this web site.

~Cubbybear~
    False
    In loving memory of Suzy
    This is something that costs almost nothing, yet is a neat idea. We made grace "dice". Each child got a piece of oaktag (the paper they make manilla folders out of). It might have already been cut to shape or we gave them patterns to trace - it would depend on the age. If you score the fold lines w/pins or maybe unbent paperclips they fold easily. We typed up different grace before meals prayers and photocopied them. Each prayer fit on one side of the dice. We also provided markers and stickers to decorate the cube. The idea was to encourage saying grace before meals - just roll the dice and say the prayer. And Taste of Home has lots of prayer suggestions! We also made cross necklaces with the younger kids. My DH (the saint) cut out crosses from some kind of thin plywood (he sat sanding the edges at the kids soccer games - but lots of friends offered to help! We have over 200 kids at our VBS: although I think we only did this with about 70 of them.) Then the kids glued beans to the wooden cross to decorate it. My DH had also drilled holes into each cross so that they could attach a cord and we bought some cool beads to embellish the bottom of the cord. We also painted flower pots and planted seeds.
    False