Menu ideas needed for Rehearsal Dinner | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Menu ideas needed for Rehearsal Dinner

Last post Feb 13, 2008 12:29 PM by LauraNH . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Menu ideas needed for Rehearsal Dinner

My DD's good friend is getting married in April and has asked me to do the rehearsal dinner.  It will be the wedding party and out of town relatives and friends - probably about 50.  They have asked for something nice - not Italian or Mexican.  Does anyone have any suggestions?   I especially need ideas for good veggie side dishes and an elegant dessert.

Thanks so much for your help.

debbif

False
  • Re: Menu ideas needed for Rehearsal Dinner

What is being served for dinner at the wedding so we don't duplicate that?

This is excellent. I even prepared it for a customer appreciation picinic at the business I teach cooking classes at and grilled the chicken. I made enough for well over 50 people and so many asked for the recipe we printed it and set out copies! I did use boneless-skinless chicken breasts.

Posted by: cllw    Replies: 4    Posted on: 6/24/2007 10:43:35 AM
    #T839855
    Famous Dave's Country Roast Chicken recipe
    Source: Dave Anderson - Famous Dave's

Roast Chicken Seasoning
    1/2 cup kosher salt (2 Tbsp. sea salt)
    1/2 cup paprika (1/4 cup)
    1/2 cup lemon pepper (1/4 cup)
    1/2 cup Mrs. Dash original blend (1/4 cup)

Mix all ingredients. Store in a covered container.
    (Good flavor, spicy, plenty of salt with only 2 Tbsp.)

Roast Chicken
    1 (6 pound) roasting chicken
    2 (16 ounce) bottles Italian dressing (1 cup light)
    1 (8 ounce) bottle lemon juice (1/4 cup)
    1/3 cup Roast Chicken Seasoning

Place the chicken in a 2-gallon sealable plastic bag. Pour a mixture of the Italian dressing and lemon juice over chicken, turning to coat. Marinate in refrigerator for 3 hours, turning every 30 minutes.

Remove chicken from bag and drain. Season generously with 1/3 cup Roast Chicken Seasoning. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Arrange chicken on a rack in a baking pan. Tent loosely with foil. Bake 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until a meat thermometer registers 170 to 180 degrees F, removing the tent 20 minutes before the end of baking process. Let stand for 10 minutes before carving.

Yields 6 to 8 servings.

These are delicious and so easy to make.

Basil Garlic Green Beans

Buttered green beans are made extra special when seasoned with McCormick® Basil
    & Garlic Seasoning Blend.
    Makes 5 (1-cup) servings.
    Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Cook Time: 8 minutes

Ingredients
    1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed (about 5 cups)
    2 tablespoons butter
    2 teaspoons McCormick® Basil & Garlic Seasoning Blend

Directions
    1. Cook beans in boiling water 7 minutes or until desired doneness. Drain well;
    return to saucepan.

2. Toss green beans with butter and Seasoning Blend until well coated.

Substitute: Use 1 package (16 ounces) frozen green beans or broccoli flowerets
    in place of the fresh green beans. Cook as directed on package; continue with
    Step 2.
    False

One of my favorites is steamed or oven roasted veggies drizzled with lemon butter.  Broccoli, sliced carrots, squash and zucchini, pea pods, baby corn, baby red potatoes, etc.

Wild Rice with Pecans

1 box Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice, Original Recipe with seasoning packet
    2 cups chicken broth
    1/2 stick butter

1/4cup sliced green onions
    1/2 cup pecans, toasted, chopped

Combine rice, seasoning packet and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer covered 25 minutes or until water is absorbed. Add butter, onions and pecans. Stir until butter has melted.

Orange Rice
    Posted by gaudrey

1/2 stick of butter or margarine
    1 cup of chopped onion
    1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
    1 cup of long grain rice (I use Uncle Ben's)
    1 cup of freshly squeezed orange juice
    1 cup of chicken broth
    1 teaspoon salt
    Grated zest of 1 orange

Place butter or margarine in a saucepan over medium heat. When it melts, add the onion and cook just until tender but not browned. Add the parsley, rice, juice, broth, and salt. Bring to a boil. Turn to simmer, cover and let cook until liquid is absorbed, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat. Add orange zest and fluff with a fork.

Bacon Wrapped Green Beans

2 tsp chicken bouillon
    1 lb fresh green beans, ends trimmed
    1 lb bacon
    1 stick butter
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1 tsp garlic powder

Dissolve bouillon in pot of water, add beans and bring to a boil. Cook 8 to 10 minutes, until crisp tender. Drain and set aside.

Cook bacon just until fat is rendered but still limp. Drain on paper towels. Cut slices in half. 

Melt butter in small pan on low heat, add brown sugar and garlic powder, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat.

Place 5 to 6 beans on a half slice of bacon. Brush beans with butter mixture, then wrap bacon around beans. Place bundles on baking sheet or broiler pan. Brush remaining butter mixture over bundles. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes until bacon is done.

False

Thank you both so much for the great ideas and recipes.  What I don't use for the dinner will definitely be used at other times.  Everything sounds great!  Thanks!!

debbif 

False

Debbif, this recipe is always a hit!

:)

Ellen

Baked Pork Tenderloin
    (Mom3boys)

1 whole pork tenderloin, trimmed
    3 Tbs. butter
    Salt & pepper
    Sauce:
    1/4 cup red currant jelly
    2 Tbs. dijon mustard
    1/2 cup water

Salt & pepper pork. Saute in butter for about 5 minutes, or until brown on all sides. Place in shallow glass baking dish. Add water to fry pan and stir up brown bits, then add jelly and mustard; whisk until smooth. Pour over pork and bake about 50 minutes at 325. Baste & turn once. May be made ahead with sauce, refrigerated, then baked with sauce when ready to eat. Great for dinner parties when it is too hot or cold to BBQ!

False

Thanks so much, Ellen.  That sounds good, too!

debbif

False

debbif,

Here's a vegetable recipe by carolinacooker that I've used many times and shared with others. The ingredients could be put together ahead of time and popped in the oven when you're ready. ~ LibraryLinda ~

Roasted Vegetables

2 ½ cups zucchini (cut into1/2 inch slices)
    1 ½ cups red bell pepper (cut into1 inch pieces)
    1 ½ cups sliced yellow squash (cut into1/2 inch slices)
    1 cup 1 inch cut green beans (1/4 pound)
    1 cup sliced carrots (1/2 inch thick)
    4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
    2 medium onions quartered
    3 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
    1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
    ½ teaspoon dried basil
    ½ teaspoon dried oregano
    ½ teaspoon dried tarragon
    ½ teaspoon dried thyme
    ½ teaspoon dried parsley
    ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    ¼ teaspoon pepper
    Preheat oven to 425F. Place all ingredients in a 13-inch x 9-inch baking dish. Stir to coat. Cover and bake for 40 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
     Posted by: carolinacooker 2/28/04

False

Roast turkey or beef is easy.  You can roast either ahead of time, then slice and put in large roasters with gravy or au jus. 

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

Thanks for two more great ideas!!

debbif

False

This is a wonderful dessert.  I usually have some sliced strawberries in a bowl with the dessert so they can be added on top of each serving.   This was posted a few years ago by CookieCarol.     Margielou

This is also good made with peaches and for the 4th of July it is outstanding made with strawberries and blueberries. Very patriotic looking.

Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle

2 pkgs (8 oz) cream cheese
    2 cups powdered sugar
    1 cup sour cream
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    1/4 tsp almond extract
    1/2 pint whipping cream
    1 TBS sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 angel food cake, torn into bite sized pieces
    2 quarts fresh strawberries, sliced
    3 TBS sugar
    In large bowl, cream together cream cheese and powdered sugar; add sour cream, vanilla, and almond extract. Set aside. In small deep bowl, whip the cream, vanilla, and sugar. Fold whipped cream into cream cheese mixture. Add cake pieces and fold lightly, set aside. Combine strawberries and sugar. Layer in large glass bowl (this is a very pretty dessert) starting with strawberries, then cake pieces. Continue layering until finished, 3 or 4 layers is good (depends on you bowl). Finish with strawberries on top and garnish with additional whipped cream if you want. Cover and chill well. Makes 24 servings
    I have used low fat cream cheese and sour cream with good results. I have also made this with fresh peaches instead of the strawberries. I use Cool Whip instead of the whipping cream too

False

Here's another wonderful dessert from Candykisses.  Some of my changes are listed after her recipe.

GIANT ÉCLAIR

Serves: 12-16
    Effort: average
    Comments: This is heavenly.

Ingredients:
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup Crisco
    1 cup flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    4 eggs, beaten
    8 oz. cream cheese, softened
    2 cup milk
    2 small pkg. instant french vanilla pudding
    8 oz. cool whip
    1 cup powdered sugar
    1 tablespoon cocoa
    1 tablespoon butter
    milk

Instructions:
    Boil water with Crisco. Add flour, & salt all at once, beat
    Take off fire
    Add to eggs, beat til smooth
    Spread evenly in sheet cake pan (15 " x 10" x 1").
    Bake 25 min. In preheat 400 oven
    Cool.
    Beat cream cheese with milk & pudding. Beat 2 min. Put in refrigerator for 30 min. Spread on cooled pastry.
    Top with cool whip
    Mix powdered sugar, cocoa, & melted butter. Add enough milk for right consistency for drizzling

(I use butter instead of Crisco in the cream puff base, and I used cheesecake pudding instead of French Vanilla.  It is a great dessert and looks very impressive)

False

Thanks, Margielou.  Those desserts sound fantastic!

debbif

False

I would hope they are paying for this as 50 is a lot of people.

False

My DD is getting married the end of March and we have some friend's doing the rehearsal dinner which will consist of chicken cordon bleu, rice pilaf, glazed carrots, salad and desserts. We love the chicken cordon blue - it's always a big hit!

Laura

False